Thread: Any love here for Ghost/Ghost B.C.? Saw them open for Avenged 7X, great stuff!

Any love here for Ghost/Ghost B.C.? Saw them open for Avenged 7X, great stuff!

I had never heard of them. They are a Swedish band with a lot of Prog tendencies, and songs very much in the Halloween "spirit" ("satanic" lyrics which are more comic book than malevolent, sort of like Danzig). Definite Death Metal influences, but the vocals were mostly melodic, they use eerie synth sounds to good effect (not at all overdone), and play some great riffs reminiscent of the best Thrash.

I've already been to Amazon, and will post additional thoughts when I digest the entire albums (they appear to have two).
    There’s a fine line between angry and grumpy. Angry isn’t nice but grumpy is funny.
    -Rick Wakeman

I saw them open for Opeth and Mastodon a few years back. I don't have any of their 2 albums, but I like what I've heard.

I had a concert friend, vendor who I see occasionally who told me this was the band he was into now. I had checked them out or seen some stuff on youtube some time ago and never gave it/them a second thought. However, with his recommendation I did spend some time listening to them. What they do is very good in that style but not a huge appeal to me. I think frontman #2 sounds a bit like Mike Love of The Beachboys fame.

I checked out a song or two from their first release and thought they sounded very AOR, not fitting with their image. Maybe I played the wrong tune(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I checked out a song or two from their first release and thought they sounded very AOR, not fitting with their image. Maybe I played the wrong tune(s)?
    That's the same impression I got too.

I'm a pretty big fan. To my ears, Ghost sound sort of like a modern Blue Oyster Cult. I agree they don't sound anywhere near as heavy or dark as their image might imply.

I have both there albums and like what they do.

Great band, the blue Oyster Cult comparison is very accurate.
    Don Cassidy
    President, Interviewer, DJ, Artist Promo contact
    Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio
    www.deliciousagony.com

Disco metal with Disney-like cartoonish satanism as an image.

Huge overhyped deception. To my ears they are just pop music with heavy rock iconography. And they were promoted as retro doom metal (inspired by Mercyful Fate) by my friend Lee Dorian who did their debut album...

PS. Saw them live in their early days. Left after their 5th song (a cover of BEATLES "Here Comes the Sun")
    Last edited by spacefreak; 10-27-2013 at 04:07 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I love Ghost BC! This is a band that no one should really take too seriously. If you listen to them, don't think that you are joining a Satanic cult. Just listen to Neal Morse afterwards!! Not only do I have both of their albums, I own the Japanese import versions for the bonus tracks. The import version of the first album contains a great doom rock type cover of the Beatles' "Here Comes The Sun." The import copy of the second album comes with a cover of the Depeche Mode's "Waiting For The Night." Excellent stuff. I can't help but think of early 70s Black Sabbath when I listen to them. I have seen them live three times, too, and thought they were great live.

Library Jon

I'm seeing them open for Alice In Chains on Saturday!

The new 5 track Ghost BC "If you have ghosts" EP was officially released today. The album was produced by Dave Grohl and he played drums on it as well. I have listened to it three times already. I find that I like this EP, but It really is not the best place to start with them. So if you like the first two albums already, you should buy this. Hopefully, they will come around the east coast sometime soon.

Library Jon

I'll have to agree with Spyros; VASTLY overrated act. Like The Darkness (ugh!) only with a purpotedly "tough" image.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Wisdomview View Post
    I saw them open for Opeth and Mastodon a few years back. I don't have any of their 2 albums, but I like what I've heard.
    Saw that show also and thought Ghost sucked. Just not my cuppa, I guess.

They're my main musical "fetish" from 2013 onward.
    Have you seen these live performances?