Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thriller-A Metal Tribute to Michael Jackson

Thriller-A Metal Tribute to Michael Jackson

Whatever next ?

Product Description
    2013 release, the first ever all Metal tribute to the King of Pop, Michael Jackson, with an all-star line-up that will raise the dead. Features outstanding performances by Chuck Billy (Testament), Danny Worsnop (Asking Alexandria), Elias Soriano (Nonpoint), Lajon Witherspoon (Sevendust), Phil Campbell (Motörhead), Doug Pinnick (King's , Chris Jericho (Fozzy) and others. With the amps turned up to 11 and guitars tuned low, get ready to hear the darker side of such favorites as "Billie Jean," "Beat It," "Rock With You," "Black Or White" and more.

NICE! Will definitely check this puppy out!

"Ben" would be perfect metal material. No?

Alien Ant farm's cover of Smooth Criminal gave me all I need in that general direction Well, King Diamond covering Thriller would be sweet.

Sometimes you just have to ask, "why?"
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    ...you wanna ask "why?" -- on a prog board, no less. There are plenty of 'why?' scenarios on the main board.

Agreed. This one just kinda sticks out.

On a prog board.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The great Dutch porg-metal band, Lemur Voice, did a cover of 'Beat It' on their CD 'Divided' in 1999.

The jazz break kills!

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    The great Dutch porg-metal band, Lemur Voice
    I love porg-metal!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Or simply who?
    Chuck Billy,Danny Worsnop, Elias Soriano, Lajon Witherspoon, Doug Pinnick, Chris Jericho.

Are they all American bands?

Phil Campbell from Motorhead is the only name I know there. This sounds like it's going to be an All-non-star affair.
    Last edited by PeterG; 10-23-2013 at 05:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Or simply who?
    Chuck Billy,Danny Worsnop, Elias Soriano, Lajon Witherspoon, Doug Pinnick, Chris Jericho.

Are they all American bands?

Phil Campbell from Motorhead is the only name I know there. This sounds like it's going to be an All-non-star affair.
    The guy from Kings x

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    The guy from Kings x
    You've lost me, what about him?

Youve not heard of him?

The guy from Kings x
    His name is Dug Pinnick.

Ok so who's going to play the guitar solo on "beat it?"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Ok so who's going to play the guitar solo on "beat it?"
    I vote for George Lynch.

Youve not heard of him?
    Nope!

Banned
    Nope!

Never understood the love for Kings-X.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    That crunch, along with melody, chops, and serious harmony vocals? That's enough for me. King's X soars in my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    King's X is everything KISS aspired to be and never could- a heavy rocking band with great riffs, great hooks and great vocals, and Beatles inspired harmonies, without resorting to gimmicks, make up and stage tricks.

And I like KISS. BTW the best KISS album since 1980 is basically them trying to be King's X.

Sheesh; you're into a lot of music that I can't understand why anyone would love. And you've said yourself that you don't like prog... which is fine (though I sometimes wonder what brought you here other than your association with Kevin Gilbert, who's music I love, fwiw). But when it comes to tastes, some things aren't meant to be understood. My explanation of what's great about King's X isn't going to change your opinion of them, so I won't try. Besides, Paulie and Turl have summed it up pretty well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    King's X is everything KISS aspired to be and never could- a heavy rocking band with great riffs, great hooks and great vocals, and Beatles inspired harmonies, without resorting to gimmicks, make up and stage tricks.
    Ok. Still, Kings-X does absolutely nothing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    And I like KISS. BTW the best KISS album since 1980 is basically them trying to be King's X.
    Uh, ok. As long as it's not Kings-X, I don't care who KISS is trying to be. By the way, there is also a lot of KISS' material I do not like. I'm not a blind worshipper of theirs. In fact, I collect KISS memorabilia more than I currently like them as a recording entity

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Sheesh; you're into a lot of music that I can't understand why anyone would love.
    That's why we are all built differently. Tastes vary. That's mainly why my radio show is named "Guilty Pleasures". I like the most meaningless music to some complex stuff; room for everything that I fancy in there.

And you've said yourself that you don't like prog... which is fine (though I sometimes wonder what brought you here other than your association with Kevin Gilbert, who's music I love, fwiw).
    I detest most prog. I enjoy select tracks here and there. This board brings a track or two to light (every few months) that I will end up buying or researching further into the catalog.

As far as Kevin Gilbert, etc... Kevin even knew that I thought most prog sucked, overall. We had fun conversations about it and he understood my view and I understood his. He never tried to force-feed me any prog. He asked me, on occasion, what I thought of some of his work he was involved with. I was always honest and told him if I liked it or not.

I have friends in the prog world and have worked with many musicians who are involved with prog. It's all under the banner of "music", to me. I may not like the work some of my friends do with their music, but they know that

But when it comes to tastes, some things aren't meant to be understood.
    Yes, as I commented above, tastes vary, for sure.

My explanation of what's great about King's X isn't going to change your opinion of them, so I won't try. Besides, Paulie and Turl have summed it up pretty well for me.
    Precisely. I think Kings-X sucks and others don't. We are all correct.

Sheesh; you're into a lot of music that I can't understand why anyone would love.
    Curious to know what music that I am into that confuses you?

Curious to know what music that I am into that confuses you?
    Kiss, for starters.

But "confuse" isn't the right word. As we agreed, everybody's got their own tastes, as it should be. And we often can't understand why somebody would hate what we love and vice versa, but I'd chalk that up with human nature. There's plenty of music (prog and otherwise) that many people here are gaga over and it's stuff that I don't connect with at all. And I like some stuff that most here aren't very interested in, like Brazilian music, for example. It's all good! I don't judge people by their tastes in music and the arts or by their religious or political affiliations. the previous post of mine was just a knee-jerk reaction to "never understood the love for King's X." But like I said, some things aren't meant to be understood, though I know us humans can get frustrated by an inability to understand anything that's unfathomable to us. But we can at least tolerate what we don't understand... and I'm all for that!