Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: The Assination of Jazz Rock

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    So Jymbot, care to explain what a "prog masterman" is and how you earned that title?
    Aw, man, don't encourage him.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Aw, man, don't encourage him.
    I know, I'll probably regret it. But when you keep hearing the same claim over and over, you find yourself wanting to get to the bottom of it for once and for all.

Banned
    No, you will not regret it seeing as how you are not getting it in the first place.

We have been through all this before, Jimmehs.

A Prog Masterman does not have to spill...anything.
    Nada.

Protestations and voiciferous, hair-yanking entreaties aside - not that Im saying the collection makes the Masterman - Wallace is willing to go halfsies with you and describe (as much as words can) the old record depository. But that is a whole story in itself (which has been spread and marvelled at over the internet many times before) and would just be detracting potency from this thread.

(If you sincerely want to know, start up another thread.)

Where's MT's lawyer?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Where's MT's lawyer?
    Where's the music on MTV?

Jymbot is fulla beans. He's full o' shit. He's God's gift to prog.

Banned
    I would not say consuming a third can of chick peas the other day qualifies one for being full of beans.

As to being full of shit, yes I do eat rather well.

Last edited by Jymbot; 12-23-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jymbot View Post
    Acid Dragon magazine. Now there was a real shit-wipe.
    You have such a way with words, Walter. Thierry is a member here and will no doubt be greatly edified by the constructive criticism.

Wot's this "Organ" mag, Moe? Never heard of it.
    UK 'zine that began publishing in the 2nd half of the 80s. The lovely Marina is a member here, and Sean may be as well. They were not a Prog-only mag, covering a wide variety of musics from the UK's underground. They were big on championing Cardiacs especially, as well as similar bands like Ring, and Zag & the Coloured Beads. Iirc, they had been regulars at the Marquee on Wardour St, and were present for a good bit of the NWOBPR which crested 1983-1986. Some of those bands received some coverage in The Organ as well, but they tended to like the noisier bands.

I see the posting has come full circle, back on to the topic of "Assination."

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I understand what MT is trying to say to some extent (although I also understand how his way of saying it is annoying to some).
    well, I never claimed to be a 'master of tact', but yes, like you Ernie, I was there in the early 70s and I know what it was like.

Back to the "assination of Jazz Rock' (whatever that's supposed to mean) Jazz guys experimenting with adding Rock to Jazz in progressive ways is not exactly what I would call 'the evolution of Jazz'. If one is honest then it should be quite obvious that Rock music pre-1967 was a very simple/crude form of music; unlike Jazz which had (as you noted) gone through various refinements/changes. To add Rock to Jazz would not be a refinement of Jazz; it would be a dumbing down of Jazz according to the Jazz snobs of the era. Since Rock was an inferior musical form up until circa 1967 one might be persuaded to agree. But if we look at it from the other side of the coin, the adding of Jazz to Rock (no matter the musician's musical background, i.e. Rockers like Soft Machine or Jazzers like Tony Williams) had the effect of taking Rock music to a higher plane. It was the true progression of Rock music in the very same way as the white boys in Britain adding Classical elements to Rock. And it happened by no uncertain coincidence, at the very same time; the late 60s. Jazz musicians contributions the the foundation of Prog is unmistakeable and inseparable no matter how any bigoted individual (and I wont name names) might try to spin it. I was there. I know first hand.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Try searching for jazz metal on youtube. Some very interesting results.

Will someone assassinate this thread ... please?

Done.

I'm really discouraged that this is what always happens. It's the same shit over and over again. What a waste.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.