Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Best "great lost album" in prog

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    There are also 2 albums called Pop-workshop from this period, also from Stockholm, with Tony Williams on drums and Swedish, Danish and Polish musicians (Janne Schaffer Gitarr Mads Winding Bas Tony Williams Trummor Wlodek Gulgowski Piano, synt, keyboards, Zbigniew Namyslowsky: sax.
    http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=1410
    I've had those 2 Pop Workshop albums for decades. They are indeed great but I think only one has Tony. They both have Schaffer who is quite tasty
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I think some of that Williams stuff got included on the "Spectrum" anthology.

And Autumn's "Oceanworld" is an awesome record, for sure.

“Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Another one with a Patto/Halsall connection, Timebox's Moose On The Loose. Recorded for Deram in 1968 but never released. Eventually tracks were compiled on Timebox anthology collections, latest being Beggin'.

http://olliehalsall.co.uk/timebox.htm

"Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I was mistaken about the SFF live album: it was not "Pictures" that was abridged but rather every other track! Why?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I was mistaken about the SFF live album: it was not "Pictures" that was abridged but rather every other track! Why?
    If we only knew. I wish they hadn't.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Another one with a Patto/Halsall connection, Timebox's Moose On The Loose. Recorded for Deram in 1968 but never released. Eventually tracks were compiled on Timebox anthology collections, latest being Beggin'.
    'Gone Is The Sad Man' is one of the best songs of the era that never became a hit IMHO, a lovely song with great vocals. I'm not that keen on the soul covers they were doing but their own originals were indeed original. 'Poor Little Heartbreaker' is another terrific song. The cover of 'Beggin' was the closest they ever came to a hit- around the same time as the likes of Love Affair and Amen Corner had a similar sound with success- but even that didn't get far.

One of the great things about those mid--late 60s psych obscurities, the level of creativity/experimentation and musicianship was so high at the time that just about everything is worth a listen. A case in point and somewhat relevant to the thread for psych/pop fans, Billy Nicholls' 'Would You Believe'. That only got a 'blink and you'll miss it' release at the time so it's worth a fortune now. I listen to that album on the CD release and think the writing and arranging is amazing, sophisticated stuff.
    Last edited by JJ88; 01-22-2014 at 10:06 AM.

VdGG - the one they would have made after Pawn Hearts that might have included:
    In the Black Room
    A Louse Is Not A Home
    Forsaken Gardens
    Gog

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    A case in point and somewhat relevant to the thread for psych/pop fans, Billy Nicholls' 'Would You Believe'. That only got a 'blink and you'll miss it' release at the time so it's worth a fortune now. I listen to that album on the CD release and think the writing and arranging is amazing, sophisticated stuff.
    Would You Believe is an all time classic in the psych/pop cannon. A near perfect album of its kind.

How about Galaxy - Nature's Clear Well?

Released on a small German label (Venus) in 1975 to thunderous silence, only to be released again 3 years later by US label Visa, with a band name change (without consulting the band) and a different cover (a better one IMHO) to instant obscurity.

Maybe not quite 'great' but pretty darn good.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell