Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Make a Rising

Make a Rising

Since our friend Frankie (Chalkpie) is back ans since he asked what is spinning in my headphones these days I thought I'd share my enthusiasm for all things Make a Rising and especially the latest ep
    Knowing you and knowing you appreciation for song craft and especially a good melody (Cardiacs and all )
    What a great band

And you can buy it or download for free here :
    http://makearising.bandcamp.com

Thanks Udi, that Don't Don't Don't track is wonderful, like a cross between Cardiacs and Stars in Battledress with a smattering of XTC and Mike Patton.

10cc and The Beach Boys seem a reference but these guys take it much further

Is Wyatt in there?
    Their website triggered my antivirus...

chalkpie
    I like!

Certainly !
    And getting longer

I still haven't got around to hearing the EP, but their two full albums are still in constant repeat although I've had them for three or four years. Pretty darn unique "art rock" - spiritually enhanced by the likes of 10CC, (early) Split Enz and Cardiacs, but taking things into unforseen waters of the avant-garde. Great playing, wonderful melodies and a somewhat Vonnegut'ian mood from the ambivalence of existentialist humour contrasted with utter melancholy.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Nommo Days has a Fred Frith vibe all over it. Or so my brain wants to say.

Yay! Another band to dig into! Thanks Udi

Jeeezzzzz, Udi...

ya listen to some weirrrrrrdddd stuff, dude!!! (I actually like the third sample)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

We hear a lot of influences
    My buddy Yehuda hears Uncle Meat on the melody of Flux Dogs
    For me the end of Nommo Days could easily be an out take from Fear Draws Misfortune
    and rhythm on Sneffels Yokul (2nd track from their album Infinite Ellipse and Head With Open Fontanel is no doubt "inspired" by Adrian Belew's Big Electric Cat
    All of this doesn't diminish my awe for them -it actually amuses
    btw they cite Franko Battiato's Fetus as an inspiration too which for me gains the seal of aproval if they ever need one ha !

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    My buddy Yehuda hears Uncle Meat on the melody of Flux Dogs

In which case you should introduce him to Jon Poole's (ex-Cardiacs) cover album of Zappa tracks. I know it's available on CD under a certain name now. But I bought it on cassette with a different title back in the day at a Cardiacs gig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR_MvegAuuA

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    In which case you should introduce him to Jon Poole's (ex-Cardiacs) cover album of Zappa tracks. I know it's available on CD under a certain name now. But I bought it on cassette with a different title back in the day at a Cardiacs gig. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR_MvegAuuA

Make a Rising and especially this EP should be more appreciated
    I was hoping this little thread could be a little refuge from the Cardiacs epidemic but I guess these days they are unavoidable

Make a Rising and especially this EP should be more appreciated
    Yes. The Open Fontanel album is absolutely outstanding as well. Very little talked about, even with "avant" heads back in the day of release (2008, I believe), although there were hints at vaguely "hipster" appeal with them (Pitchfork et al.).
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Yes. The Open Fontanel album is absolutely outstanding as well. Very little talked about, even with "avant" heads back in the day of release (2008, I believe), although there were hints at vaguely "hipster" appeal with them (Pitchfork et al.).
    You made a good point here my friend - I could never figure out why the avant progressive scene did not embrace this
    Their inspiration and references seem to be coming from the same sources as a lot of other avant progressive bands - on their sitethey even directly cite Franko Battiato as an inspiration
    Do you have any explanation for this ?
    Last edited by Udi Koomran; 10-30-2013 at 05:19 AM.

You made a good point here my friend - I could never figure out why the avant progressive scene did not embrace this
    Do you have any explanation for this ?
    I somehow got the impression that MaR were just a tad too obviously influenced by psych or even your average 70s Genesis record to be "granted admittance into the great hall". There were probably more parallells to the New Weird America scene than anything really "avant-prog" in MaR; somewhere in between Animal Collective, Alec K. Redfearn and Dirty Projectors - right? In effect, it was perhaps the very same "hipness" credential that killed them off with the usual avant bunch.

somewhere in between Animal Collective, Alec K. Redfearn and Dirty Projectors - right? In effect, it was perhaps the very same "hipness" credential that killed them off with the usual avant bunch.
    Never heard of Animal Collective or Dirty Projectors (Am I missing something ? )
    But Alec is well received and recognized by us avant progressive fans ...
    "hipness" credential - never bothered me - I try to keep open so not to lose great music by paying too much attention to labels or generes

Never heard of Animal Collective or Dirty Projectors (Am I missing something ? )
    Both made their finest albums in 2009 IMO, namely Merriweather Post Pavilion and Bitte Orca respectively. Both were huge within the US indie circuit before somewhat breaking into the mainstream - AC especially. You'd might want to check some of it out, as there's loads of intriguing studio trickery and some quite intricate compositional twists at play as well.

Both made their finest albums in 2009 IMO, namely Merriweather Post Pavilion and Bitte Orca respectively. Both were huge within the US indie circuit before somewhat breaking into the mainstream - AC especially. You'd might want to check some of it out, as there's loads of intriguing studio trickery and some quite intricate compositional twists at play as well.
    Agreed, Animal Collective are a great indie band to check out for those more into avant-prog, especially Merriweather Post Pavilion.

And Dirty Projectors used to feature ex-Time of Orchids, Zs and (current) Extra Life alumni Charlie Looker - so that should indicate some level of credibility.

That would be ex-Extra Life as well because they are no longer a band.

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    That would be ex-Extra Life as well because they are no longer a band.
    Well, fuck that. I loved them.

Them as well...

They were one of my favorites too.They ended it shortly after Dream Seeds was released. I can't say I am as wild about Seaven Teares but it does delve a bit more into the Medieval folk that was a part of EL and there are some nice male/female vocals.

I was really intrigued by that strange but beguiling "Swans-meets-Magma-bywayof-The Smiths" concept of Extra Life, and all three of their albums were ravishing. I'll check out Seaven Teares, but what I'd really like to hear was Looker going out on his own as a singer/songwriter - although his recent efforts weren't very far from that in the first place.

Anyway, Make a Rising seemed to have been through a breakup even before teh EP release, meaning that they might do new things in the future too.