Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Make a Rising

Woo-hooo'h!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Seriously this is the best discovery I have made in the last couple of years
    Can't stop spinning this !

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Seriously this is the best discovery I have made in the last couple of years
    Can't stop spinning this !
    Wait - which album?

Digging these tunes right now again that you posted originally.... I am a sucker for unison violin stuff.

PS - Yes, the violin riff in Nommo has a definite Frith Speechless vibe.
    Last edited by chalkpie; 01-29-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Wait - which album?
    Udi is probably speaking of the latest EP (digital only, I believe) - but you could just as easily start with Infinite Ellipse and Head With Open Fontanel. Fantastic album!
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

chalkpie
    I am a bit confused - do these guys have a full album of just the three tunes out there?

Seriously killer stuff if you dig your music with a big clump of pubic hair thrown in.....don't worry, it's a compliment.

These cats make an album, I am ON IT. On it.

chalkpie
    Do they have only one full length album and this EP? Where are they from?

chalkpie
    PS - I think there is a wee bit of Marceour in here as well in execution and overall sonic texture...at least me thinks.

both the EP and INFINITE ELLIPSE AND HEAD WITH OPEN FONTANEL
    amazing stuff

and they can pull this shit live in really convincing way

chalkpie
    Does Kerman or Steve have the full album, or did you order from the band themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Udi is probably speaking of the latest EP (digital only, I believe) - but you could just as easily start with Infinite Ellipse and Head With Open Fontanel. Fantastic album!
    Yup that is the shit

chalkpie
    Where these fuckers from?

Love that cat purr on Don't at the 01:03 mark ! Its even more musical the the one I recorded on Ahvak !

Man that melody in Flux Dogs is just so sweet !

I made Bob listen to them and he liked them

They are sloppy (rhythmically and some tuning issues ) and clumsy but in a sort of a charming way that doesn't distract me from totally digging them

One of the most amazing things in relation to MaR is the following animated film, made by a semi-professional dude and seemingly not announcing the fact that it's basically a music video to one of the band's instrumentals; some 116,000 people have watched it, so keep in (and this is from the Fontanel album):

They had an album before Fontanel as well, Through the Hawk Blacl Night - which is very good, but arguably not as "developed" as their later concept. As for parallells to other artists, I hear a snippet of Alec. K Redfearn or even some of Jack O' the Clock's work in MaR.

Did you know the main guy is a writer on Adventure Time?

Here is a swell track (alternative mix I think ) from their 2nd album
    http://hightwo.com/audio/Make%20A%20...nsmutation.mp3

Make a Rising and especially this EP should be more appreciated
    I was hoping this little thread could be a little refuge from the Cardiacs epidemic but I guess these days they are unavoidable
    I'm a great believer in direction free music... Such haphazard compositions make for a unique and sometimes wonderful sound. Like trading ice cream for crow.
    Still alive and well...

Had my first spin of Rip Through the Hawk Black Night today
    still starching my head ...

chalkpie
    Had my first spin of Rip Through the Hawk Black Night today
    still starching my head ...
    Yeah, this album is really catching on dude...ha!

Were going out to stuff our faces with eye-talian food, but I'm going to try and spin this bitch tonight.

Hey wait, don't you have some classical stuff to listen to? First pop quiz will be soon my friend.

The new chapter in Make a Rising's Wounded Fhealer Project
    http://makearising.bandcamp.com/albu...ries-part-four
    and guess what they asked me to master it
    apparently Jesse is a serious Zeuhl fan and loved the Eskaton 4 Visions remaster so that led him to write me
    As usual when I worked on this I didn't know what to think of this plenty of head scratching etc. but now I have lived with it for a week or so the drugs kicked in and the magic works (even if I am supposed to be biased )

I guess a deal with OutsideIn or Kscope and a tiny note in 'Prog' would be needed to levitate MaR to unseen heights with the mighty Prog Folks...