Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: ELP - Welcome Back...Live

Quote Originally Posted by ssully View Post
    So, were ELP's KBFH/Welcome Back Anaheim 1974 performances from Feb 2, or Feb 10? There's conflicting data in different sources.

They had five non-performance days: the 4th through the 8th. That's when it was mixed.

So, it may be that Long Beach on the 3rd should be the 10th and vice versa for Anaheim; or, maybe it was recorded at Long Beach.

BTW, of the two lists I saw, one had nothing for the 2nd and the other had San Francisco.

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Was there a particular reason they chose the version of "Tarkus" on the album? There was lots of echo of Lake's vocals in the snippet of "Epitaph".

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    The 'Aquatarkus' being one of the greatest things they ever put to tape is a likely reason! And the echo is obviously intentional.

I gather one of those bootleg series boxes (never owned any of them myself) had a different mix from the Anaheim show this album drew from...including the Pictures encore, but apparently it cut off at the end. Ugh!

That Pictures encore is the only missing link of ELP as far as I'm concerned. (Well, not including the bizarre mess they've made of Works Live, which is a composite of 1977/8 tour recordings that somehow managed to leave off the highlight of this era, 'Pirates'!) Welcome Back... is a pretty definitive live album really, but I wish that encore had been on a CD.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The 'Aquatarkus' being one of the greatest things they ever put to tape is a likely reason! And the echo is obviously intentional.

I gather one of those bootleg series boxes (never owned any of them myself) had a different mix from the Anaheim show this album drew from...including the Pictures encore, but apparently it cut off at the end. Ugh!

That Pictures encore is the only missing link of ELP as far as I'm concerned. (Well, not including the bizarre mess they've made of Works Live, which is a composite of 1977/8 tour recordings that somehow managed to leave off the highlight of this era, 'Pirates'!) Welcome Back... is a pretty definitive live album really, but I wish that encore had been on a CD.
    Thanks! I thought the echo was unintentional, since other shows did not add that echo.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Was there a particular reason they chose the version of "Tarkus" on the album? There was lots of echo of Lake's vocals in the snippet of "Epitaph".

Any echo on WBMF is exaggerated because of how it was mixed for stereo (by just folding the quad mix back channels into the front).

As for why this one, Anaheim seems to be the only show they recorded professionally on that tour. (They played for two nights there though, so maybe the album is a mix of both).

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post

They had five non-performance days: the 4th through the 8th. That's when it was mixed.

So, it may be that Long Beach on the 3rd should be the 10th and vice versa for Anaheim; or, maybe it was recorded at Long Beach.

BTW, of the two lists I saw, one had nothing for the 2nd and the other had San Francisco.
    I found a Feb 1974 tour schedule for ELP in Billboard magazine from early 1974 that lists them set to play Anaheim on Feb 1 and 2. So if that's correct I'd guess Feb 2 is accurate. (However, Feb 10 is free...)

EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER (Manticore):
    Convention Center, Anaheim, Calif. Feb. 1 -2
    Long Beach Arena, Calif. (3)
    Press Reception & Party, Los Angeles (4)
    Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, Calif. (9)
    Arena, Seattle, Wash. (11)
    Coliseum, Spokane, Wash. (12)
    Coliseum, Portland, Oregon (13)
    Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C. (14)
    Washington State Univ., Pullman (15)
    Civic Center, San Francisco (17 -18)
    Selland Arena, Fresno, Calif. (20)
    Sports Arena, San Diego, Calif. (21)
    Convention Center, Tucson, Ariz. (22)
    Univ. of New Mexico, Albuquerque, N.M. (23)
    Municipal Auditorium, San Antonio, Texas (26)
    Convention Center, Dallas, Texas (27)
    Coliseum, Houston, Texas (28).

Louisiana State Univ., Baton Rouge, March 1
    Coliseum, Houston, Texas (2).

Macan's 'The Endless Enigma' has a different itinerary for them in early Feb
    1 Sacramento
    2 Winterland, San Francisco
    3 Long Beach Arena
    9 Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino
    10 Anaheim
    11 Seattle
    12 Spokane

with no more than 2 days off at a time between then and March 7.
    Last edited by ssully; 12-28-2016 at 01:42 AM.

using online news archives, I've now confirmed these California gigs all happened:

EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER (Manticore):
    Convention Center, Anaheim, Calif. Feb. 1 -2
    Long Beach Arena, Calif. (3)
    Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, Calif. (9)
    Civic Center, San Francisco (17 -18)

no sign of a Feb 10 Anaheim gig
    Last edited by ssully; 12-28-2016 at 02:42 AM.

Good work with the info.

So, the questions arises: did they record both Anaheim shows?