Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: ELP - Welcome Back...Live

ELP - Welcome Back...Live

Is the sound that bad.....I would have fig this would have been a magical album.....

Who said it's bad ?

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Is the sound that bad.....I would have fig this would have been a magical album.....
    The sound quality on "Welcome Back....Live" isn't that bad. There's a lot of reverb and it sounds like you are sitting in the back row of the arena (instead of 7th row center) but ELP's performances on the album are great. Give it a chance.

While I do not think the sound of the album is bad, it could be the fact that the live show was in quadrophonic sound (which may give the impression you are sitting in the back of the arena, especially when the main sound is being channeled to the speakers in the rear of the arena. and as for the performances, they are pretty amazing.

I often liken it to Yessongs: sometimes the sound quality isn't so great (especially any time someone is talking), but the (sizzling) performances more than make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I often liken it to Yessongs: sometimes the sound quality isn't so great (especially any time someone is talking), but the (sizzling) performances more than make up for it.
    +1 to that !!

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Jester View Post
    The sound quality on "Welcome Back....Live" isn't that bad. There's a lot of reverb and it sounds like you are sitting in the back row of the arena (instead of 7th row center) but ELP's performances on the album are great. Give it a chance.
    Some of the same performances appear on the King Biscuit Flower Hour CD in vastly cleaner sound.

It was originally mixed for quad. The stereo is a fold-down. That's why there's so much hall ambience.

I don't think it is all that bad. On another forum it has been analyzed to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Some of the same performances appear on the King Biscuit Flower Hour CD in vastly cleaner sound.

Some have argued this but that CD is heavily compressed. It doesn't have the reverb and is cleaner, but it's arguably no better, IMO.

I never knew anybody thought this album sounded "bad" until Al Gore invented the internet. Same with Yessongs.

I never thought Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends sounded all that bad. Yeah, maybe it'd be nice if you could dial down the "reverb send" control on the mixing console, but when you think about the sound quality on some of the bootlegs, the official release is actually rather good.

And I definitely agree the performances make it worth having. Certainly that solo Keith plays at the end of Tarkus has to be one of his definitive statements.

I love this album...the performance of Toccata is breathtaking! The only thing that offends my ears is Greg Lake's woefully flat vocal on Take a Pebble.

Matt.

It is bad because the sound quality on the BSS tour sucked. I saw them at the Omni, 23rd row dead center. The eqing absolutely sucked.
    Compare to Pink Floyd's live albums, which were also done in 16,000 seat sports arenas. Pink Floyd had great sound distribution and proper eqing for the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    It is bad because the sound quality on the BSS tour sucked. I saw them at the Omni, 23rd row dead center. The eqing absolutely sucked.
    Compare to Pink Floyd's live albums, which were also done in 16,000 seat sports arenas. Pink Floyd had great sound distribution and proper eqing for the room.
    Well, you're talking about two different things. What a live album sounds like has less to do what the band sounded like in the venue on the night, and more to do with a. how the show was recorded, and b. how the material was mixed (assuming that we're talking about a multi-track recording) after the fact.

You can take a performance that sounded great on the night, at whichever venue, and totally wreck it either by recording it poorly and/or a bad mix (ie doing stuff like having certain instruments mixed either too high or two low, mixing out all the bottom end on the bass guitar, etc).

And vice versa, a performance that sounded bad on the night, either due to lousy room acoustics, inadequate PA or an incompetent sound man can be made to sound awesome when listening to the playback.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    So in your view the one show you saw makes the sound on the whole tour bad. n=1
    I was actually at the Anaheim Convention Center shows where this album was recorded and it was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion81 View Post
    So in your view the one show you saw makes the sound on the whole tour bad. n=1
    I was actually at the Anaheim Convention Center shows where this album was recorded and it was amazing.
    Yes the sound was amazing on the BSS tour !

Back when ELP and Tarkus were released in 5.1 by Steven Wilson,there were comments from him that he indeed had already mixed this one in the same way. I am waiting for it's release and when it hits,I'm on it.

I'm amazed you guys can remember the sound quality from concerts that occurred 40 years ago. I can't even remember what the sound was like last year at most of the shows I went to.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Al Gore invented the internet
    Another myth perpetuated. He never made that claim, but we won't go there.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Another myth perpetuated. He never made that claim, but we won't go there.
    Jokes often involve great exaggeration.

Hence, I need no convincing anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The recording is somewhat cavernous, not as good as 'Pictures...' but perhaps that's also down to the venue size difference.
    Is it the recording that is "cavernous" or is it just the mix?

It would've sounded better if they hadn't recorded in the Batu Caves.

Looking at the back cover photo,it seems that the ceiling is incredibly high which could easily account for the "cavernous" sonicsphere. I think the performance well outweighs the sound. I have that King Biscuit disc and I wasn't aware the same venue was on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Looking at the back cover photo,it seems that the ceiling is incredibly high which could easily account for the "cavernous" sonicsphere.
    I think that photo on the back was taken at Wembley Arena in London.

Here's Zeppelin at the place WBMF was recorded at, the Anaheim Convention Center Arena:

P8950.jpg

It has nothing to do with the height of the roof, it's simply the way the live show was recorded. I don't listen to anything but Hoedown and Tarkus from this and since they're loud, they sound pretty great to me.
    Last edited by Jeremy Bender; 10-21-2013 at 01:58 AM.
    ...or you could love