Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Who has (or had) the most annoying voice in prog?

I am a bit surprised that so many mention Peter Gabriel and Peter Hammill. I am a bit picky about singers too, and I must admit that these two singers were the reason why I never got into Genesis and VDGG. But, both singers do a great job on Robert Fripp's Exposure album. I can't imagine that album without them.

Quote Originally Posted by trondis23 View Post
    I am a bit surprised that so many mention Peter Gabriel and Peter Hammill.
    Hammill's my fave of all time, yet I'm not surprised that he would have several non-fans. I think he should be perfectly acceptable for everyone on early stuff like The Least and H to He, but shortly after he certainly developed a much more manic style. He could be quite extreme at times and I get where his singing would be a turnoff for some (with extreme performances, you're going to get extreme reactions).

Gabriel is more accessible, but I get where some don't like him either. When he sings Red Rain in that gravelly voice, it makes me reach for the 'off' button.

Jon Anderson developed an elf-like high range that the word 'twee' was invented for (though I certainly like some of the really early Yes stuff), and Ian Anderson was never my cuppa. It's like if a really annoying mime at a party decided to sing...

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I cant believe that some people cant stand James Labrie. Are you confusing the vocals when Mike Portnoy does his Cookie Monster voice? - Now thats a Joke. Its like having a $1000 glass of wine, and someone pours a thimble of Vinegar in it.

James has a wonderful voice, but people probably dislike his style, the breathing and the sighing... yeah, I can get that, but he's got great pipes - just like Portnoy is great when he plays drums - he is a great drummer but a horrible vocalist. James would be different if the producer would sit on him and tell him to knock off the girly-emo crap. But overall, he is one of the best trained vocalists I've heard. Ive been trained, and I can hear the training, and discipline in his voice. Its rare in progressive music.
    I have huge respect for the obvious discipline and training that have gone into LaBrie's singing. I just don't care for the results much of the time. Like those times when he's sticking his tongue out while he sings and you can't really make out what the words are.

Another factor with vocalists: it helps if you care about the overall direction and result. I found VDGG interesting enough to power through Hammill's vox until I actually started to like them. I don't really have that drive to come to terms with LaBrie's voice.
    <sig out of order>

These threads always seem so pointless to me. There's never a true consensus of any kind. For every person who says they like a singer there's someone else who can't stand 'em. There's rarely any real "reason" to it as far as I can see. It's entirely emotional and subjective and just when you think you know what sort of singer someone would like (based on their other likes) they'll despise some other singer you view as entirely up their alley.

We might as well start a thread on what kind of beer we all hate or what sort of food produces the least offensive flatulence.
    <sig out of order>

I don't think the thread (or others like it) is about achieving some consensus. It's just to get a sense of how people here feel.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I don't think the thread (or others like it) is about achieving some consensus. It's just to get a sense of how people here feel.
    I understand that and I suppose it's mildly interesting for that reason. But it's pointless as a decision making tool for anyone looking for a good singer or trying to avoid a bad one...since the results are roughly 50-50 on liking/disliking.
    <sig out of order>

I'm often up on Progstreaming listening for something new or different. I can't believe how many bands there are with absolute shit singers. I don't even care about the tone of their voice, they can't carry a tune for the life of them. A lot of those in the Neo-Prog subgenre. If you want to sing emotionally, it requires you know how to sing.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

The most annoying vocalists for me are those impersonal singers, whose voices are absolutely non singable, faint and deficient of individual character. I wouldn't name them, there are plenty of those. In contrary, every original, recognizable singer deserves respect, if not love or like attitude. I'm not a big fan of Collins, Gordon Haskell and few other well-known figures, but they are not most annoying for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I found VDGG interesting enough to power through Hammill's vox until I actually started to like them.
    I could say the same. I tried to put away the my first VDGG album because of the vocals, but I kept coming back to it. I can't understand what it was that I found so annoying any more.

Few singers have the power or passion of PH. I could never understand it either and yet many people seem to be turned off by his vocals. I actually started a thread a few years ago on here asking what others thought of his singing. An overwhelming majority(at least 75 percent)either didn't mind it or liked his singing. However, over on a prog internet radio station so many people on there seem to dislike his vocals. It could be a case of conformity where few people want to be different but I think most of the real hardcore prog fans are able to get past his vocals even if they initially didn't like them. I think the same is true but to a lesser degree for Jon Anderson.

Steve Hogarth of Marillion, whiny, mumbling voice - cant stand him.

Another factor with vocalists: it helps if you care about the overall direction and result. I found VDGG interesting enough to power through Hammill's vox until I actually started to like them. I don't really have that drive to come to terms with LaBrie's voice.
    Very well put, nails it completely. I bought Vital Live used back around '82 (Tormato, A Trick..., etc, were regularly spinning on my turntable at the time) and couldn't believe my ears. Why was this guy singing like this, he sounded crazed and insane. But, still, it was wholly unique and nothing else I'd heard sounded remotely like it. I didn't like the vox at all, but there was just something about the overall package, like there was an angle/intelligence/purpose there that I couldn't fathom. I kept coming back to it, eventually warming up to it. Now, of course, I absolutely love this album and think it still sounds fresh and contemporary even though it's decades old. Took some work, though.

Haven't listened to Tormato or Trick in decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Few singers have the power or passion of PH. I could never understand it either and yet many people seem to be turned off by his vocals. I actually started a thread a few years ago on here asking what others thought of his singing. An overwhelming majority(at least 75 percent)either didn't mind it or liked his singing. However, over on a prog internet radio station so many people on there seem to dislike his vocals. It could be a case of conformity where few people want to be different but I think most of the real hardcore prog fans are able to get past his vocals even if they initially didn't like them. I think the same is true but to a lesser degree for Jon Anderson.
    PH might have passion but the problem I have is that they lack compassion. I find his vocals very disturbing, almost violent! I prefer vocals that can be uplifting he just makes me feel depressed!

PH vocals might have passion but the problem I have is that they lack compassion. I find his vocals very disturbing, almost violent! I prefer vocals that can be uplifting but he just makes me feel depressed! There is no warmth in his voice whatsoever!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    PH vocals might have passion but the problem I have is that they lack compassion. I find his vocals very disturbing, almost violent! I prefer vocals that can be uplifting but he just makes me feel depressed! There is no warmth in his voice whatsoever!
    That's interesting. I can see where one might think that. If it strikes you that way then that's how it strikes you, and no one can say you're "wrong." Certainly PH has a style that can be described as angst-ridden or tortured. But on other cuts he's almost sweet. Try this, Rufus. "Afterwards" from the first album

http://youtu.be/ONf_PU2bq0Y

Just curious if that's more palatable to someone who doesn't like the harshness in much of PH's vox. Afterwards is an earlier track and I can still see where people wouldn't like the vox, but here they're a bit more smooth. Like Nico (who early PH was often compared to) the vox are slightly off and a bit quirky, but I find that a 'plus.'

At any rate, I have friends whose musical taste I respect that just can't get into Hammill, so I get it. I personally think his voice is wonderful, but I also find a lot of humor in Pawn Hearts, so go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    The guy from the Flower Kings, sorry forgot his name'. , trying too hard to sound like Genesis
    I can't think of anyone in the Flower Kings who sounds Genesis-ish? Maybe you mean Nad Sylvan from Agents of Mercy?
    <sig out of order>

Back when, Hammill was my Dylan.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I see so many great vocalists listed among the pages of this thread that it borders on absurd.
    However I submit that the all-time worst has to be Yoko Ono.

I can't think of anyone in the Flower Kings who sounds Genesis-ish? Maybe you mean Nad Sylvan from Agents of Mercy?
    Me neither!

For me it was Robert Wyatt - brilliant music, but the voice...not impressive for me.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    For me it was Robert Wyatt - brilliant music, but the voice...not impressive for me.
    Somehow I can't think of a single point in RW's roster where he's actually attempting to "impress" with the voice.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDrummer View Post
    I see so many great vocalists listed among the pages of this thread that it borders on absurd.
    However I submit that the all-time worst has to be Yoko Ono.
    The internet is a big place but there has to be a Yoko Ono-Steve Howe duet out there somewhere!

Paul fucking Carrack! I cannot see why so many prolific artists who I love and respect have used this person. He has such a perfect "earnest" voice, perfect for soppy radio play. Mike Rutherford, Roger Waters, Steve Hackett... Pfft

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    Paul fucking Carrack! I cannot see why so many prolific artists who I love and respect have used this person. He has such a perfect "earnest" voice, perfect for soppy radio play. Mike Rutherford, Roger Waters, Steve Hackett... Pfft
    WTF?

I try to make it a point to never be negative about progressive rock here. I lived through what I'll call the prog wasteland that was the 80's in America (I know, there were a few Oasis (Oasees?) in the desert). I appreciate the prog resurgence. Even if I dislike a band or a member of a band. Or maybe someone considers something prog that I do not. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I just cannot listen to District 97. It's not so much Leslie's voice but her choice of vocal melodies is cringe worthy. Sorry Leslie. Also agree with the post above regarding Steve Hogarth. Not a big fan of his whispery, mumbly style.