Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has (or had) the most annoying voice in prog?

I can give you the three most annoying in Utopia: John Wilcox, Roger Powell and Kasim Sulton, in that order.

Nice harmonies, though.

There are many offenders:
    Jon Anderson
    Geddy Lee
    John Wetton
    Freddie Mercury
    Davis Byron
    Demetrio Stratos
    Alberto Piras
    all of the Moody Blues except Mike Pinder
    Catherine Ribiero
    I'm sure I'll think of a lot more later.
    Peter Gabriel I don't dislike, but he doesn't do much for me either. He's just kind of meh. Never understood the big fuss over him. Ditto Phil Collins.

I feel like eventually every singer in prog will be named.
    My vote would be for Greg Lake, Ashley Holt, and anyone singing in Yes not named Jon Anderson (I don't mind Jon Davison in Glass Hammer though)
    Last edited by Shutoku; 10-18-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    I think Phil had a lovely voice ( eg, carpet crawlers on Seconds Out) but ruined it when fame went to his head.

I can't listen to 3 Sides Live because of how he goes overboard: yelling/singing, adding extra words (oh lord!), etc.
    It would have been just fine, as far as I'm concerned if he'd have laid off the vamping, eg "There must be some, there must be some, there must be some misunderstanding", or the rapid fire "Turn it on/turn it off/turn it on/turn it off/turn it on/turn it/turn it/turn it/turn it ooooon". It was almost like he was doing that deliberately to pad out the length of the shows..."The lads don't want to learn another five minutes, I'll just fool about at the end of each song so that no one will notice we really only played 50 minutes worth of music").

Jeff Berlin and Annette Peacock (Bruford), Damo Suzuki (CAN), Georg Buschmann (Streetmark), Charles Hayward (Quiet Sun), whoever sang for Nova, Whoever sang the vocals on the England tune "3 piece suite" (around the 8:00 minute mark) and finally Roy Estrada (Zappa) because of his annoying falsetto and because he's a sex offender.

Quote Originally Posted by jowallan lid View Post
    Jeff Berlin and Annette Peacock (Bruford)
    With you on Jeff Berlin, but to be fair I'm not sure he's that pleased with himself as a vocalist either.
    I think Annette is great.

My problem with Annette is her performance on Bruford-Rock goes to College. She starts singing, then she wipes something off her lips (after touching the microphone) with shaking fingers. She screws up the lyrics on one of the tunes. I can't tell if she's nervous or not very happy to be there. Overall a strange and awkward moment. Otherwise, great DVD!

Todd Rundgren. (Is he "Prog"?)

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    How come no ones mentioned Zappa ?
    OK, I will. That faux DJ thing he does is beyond annoying.
    Last edited by mogrooves; 10-18-2013 at 10:21 PM.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Neal Morse

I like a LOT of the music by these artists, vocally.............?

Stanley Whitaker HTM
    Neil Morse
    Rongey or Pohl from The Underground Railroad(not sure which was singing.)
    Fish
    Gennady Ilyin from Little Tragedies, great keys though
    Barry Palmer / lead & background vocals - Triumvirat
    Guy LeBlanc - Nathan Mahl
    Corrado Rustici - Nova

Again, love a lot of these guys music.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Lovely person as he seems to be, it's Adrian Belew IMO.
    How about on a song like "Frame By Frame"? I think his voice sounds incredible on that song. Nothing annoying, just a beautiful tone throughout the song.

Why on earth would Peter Gabriel be mentioned in this thread? Very odd to read that, I never thought of his voice as being a turnoff to anyone, even if he's got a unique tone. Really, this thread is no more than an excuse to bash singers you don't like. So I might as well do it.

The most annoying vocalist I've heard is Annette Peacock. She nearly ruins One of A Kind for me, an album saved by some wonderful playing.

I'd mention Tony Williams on his Emergency album, but I don't think he's thought of as a singer.

Then there is Peter Nichols. He's not the only reason I'm not an IQ fan, but he's a major reason. I nearly bought the Dark Matter disc, just just couldn't do it as I know I can't get past his voice.

Peter Hammill - not sure why people like his singing, but I find his voice to be one of the most grating possible. His solo set at Nearfest, I somehow withstood a good half hour of his croaking into a microphone. When I saw VDGG at NF, at least they were a loud band, so some of his singing was drowned out. Too bad I didn't care much for the music either, but I did stay for the whole set.

Since this is a prog thread, I'll ignore the obvious annoying voices like Bob Dylan and Neil Young, and save the bashing for another day.

James Labrie gets mentioned a lot in this thread. I've always thought he has an excellent voice, though I could do without the mellow, breathy, kind of well, girly parts. But man, his voice can soar too!

Quote Originally Posted by Luckie View Post
    With you on Jeff Berlin, but to be fair I'm not sure he's that pleased with himself as a vocalist either.
    I think Annette is great.
    I have no problem with Peacock's tone, but it's how she uses her voice that is so freaking annoying to me. I would have fired her the very first time she butchered a song, which I imagine happened on day one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Stretching the definition of 'prog', I suppose, but people have no idea what kind of willpower it took for me to not snap the RTF Live CDs in half.
    I'm not sure, but I think jazz-rock is considered prog as well. Don't say anything otherwise, or someone will get very annoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by jowallan lid View Post
    , Charles Hayward (Quiet Sun)
    I agree. Hayward is a wonderful drummer and a gifted composer but as a vocalist................. he's a wonderful drummer
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

all King Crimson singers

The poor man's Jon Anderson, Geddy Lee. Horrid.

Most vocalists that some people seem to hate, I like, or tolerate.
    I love:
    Peter Hammill
    Geddy Lee (the screeching banshee version)

I don't have problems with most others.

I didn't like Peter Wolbrand (Kraan)
    I tolerate him now.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    The most annoying vocalist I've heard is Annette Peacock. She nearly ruins One of A Kind for me, an album saved by some wonderful playing.
    Peacock never sang on One of A Kind album. It's on Feels Good To Me she did some vocals. I'm indifferent to her vocal abilities. Not very good, not very bad, and thankfully, there are some instrumentals.

Three pages on & no one's even mentioned Wildschwein of Grobschnitt yet ?!?
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Three pages on & no one's even mentioned Wildschwein of Grobschnitt yet ?!?
    Why should someone?
    I don't have problems with his vocals at all.

Every singer will get their turn on this thread eventually.

Easy one for me...Pete Hammill and Fish. Hearing those two cackle makes me appreciate hair metal.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Every singer will get their turn on this thread eventually.
    Yeah! Everyone is annoying, obviously)))