Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Who has (or had) the most annoying voice in prog?

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    The most annoying vocalists for me are those impersonal singers, whose voices are absolutely non singable, faint and deficient of individual character. I wouldn't name them, there are plenty of those.
    It’s all right, you can say Neal Morse.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Steve Hogarth of Marillion, whiny, mumbling voice - cant stand him.
    I have no problem with his voice, but I don’t really care for the direction they went in after he joined.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I can't think of anyone in the Flower Kings who sounds Genesis-ish? Maybe you mean Nad Sylvan from Agents of Mercy?
    Roine Stolt sounds, to me, like a mellower John Wetton with marbles in his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by trondis23 View Post
    I am a bit surprised that so many mention Peter Gabriel and Peter Hammill. I am a bit picky about singers too, and I must admit that these two singers were the reason why I never got into Genesis and VDGG.
    I get Hammill. I don’t agree with it, but I get it. He’s a weird singer! Too weird for some to handle with some of his extreme vocalizations. I remember bringing Pawn Hearts home and spinning it for the first time in the company of a friend, and when it got to the middle of “Lemmings,” the bit with PH’s multi-tracked falsetto voices just before “No life lies in the quicksand.” My friend turns to me and says, “What is up with your music?” Gentle Giant’s “Knots” elicited a similar reaction.

But don’t let it be said that PH could not have a delicate, lovely voice on occasion:

As for Gabriel...[smack!] Actually, I kind of get that too, but I think it’s the imperfections in his voice that give it character, same as Derek Shulman, Dagmar Krause, Robert Wyatt and others mentioned in this thread that I nonetheless like/love.

Glad to see that Gary Brooker has not been mentioned. I simply love his voice.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Hammill is one of the most versatile vocalists in rock, I think- the same guy who sang that is the same one who could shriek out material such as 'Disengage'!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Hammill is one of the most versatile vocalists in rock, I think- the same guy who sang that is the same one who could shriek out material such as 'Disengage'!
    I can't think of any other vocalist where you could take four carefully chosen songs, play them for someone unfamiliar w/PH, and the person would think he/she is listening to four different singers.

Hammill I'd put over all prog vocalists. Crazy voice, and intonation is fantastic. He sounds heavy, hard sometimes, too dramatic, but such is his vision. Hammil, Gabriel and Jon Anderson were most original prog voices.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    I can't think of any other vocalist where you could take four carefully chosen songs, play them for someone unfamiliar w/PH, and the person would think he/she is listening to four different singers.
    I remember thinking there might be three female singer involved on Art Bears' Winter Songs when I first heard that album, partly because Dagmar Krause's voice appears multitracked on some of the songs there, singing different "roles" in the lyric etc. Hammill has the exact same ability, and furthers it through those dramatic and theatrical narratives of his.

Peter Gabriel was a far more interesting vocalist during his early years as solo artist than with Genesis, IMO.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    Peter Gabriel. Rough and Squeely. It's not awful but it's the vocalist I like least of the 100 prog bands from the 70s I'm into
    LOL. He's easily my favorite. Though he was best in mid-career I'd say.

bit late to the party. one of my listening maximes: “if you don't like the voice there is no way that you'll ever end up enjoying this band”.

hence: neal morse (used to but not any more) • roine stolt (although he has a certain coolness factor paired with abysmally schlocky music) • marco glühmann • daniel gildenlöw • derek shulman • james labrie (used to but not any more, part II) • jon davison • dennis deyoung • elton john • matthew bellamy • those irritants in kaipa • plus, steve hogarth’s whiniest moments are slowly becoming borderline tolerable.

theirs are obviously very fine and respected bands but the door to my enjoyment sadly remains firmly shut. i did try on several occasions. no offence!
    Last edited by iguana; 11-24-2015 at 02:10 AM. Reason: glaring omissions on my behalf

Lanzetti PFM, when exercising his english
    Steve Howe solo

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    bit late to the party. one of my listening maximes: “if you don't like the voice there is no way that you'll ever end up enjoying this band”.

but the door to my enjoyment sadly remains firmly shut. i did try on several occasions. no offence!

At the moment a dear friend is undergoing chemo for cancer of the colon. As a believer of positive thought and hypnotherapy, her cousin managed to get the top hypnotherapist in the field to do, for free, several cds from his forthcoming book and I donated my i-pod for her to listen to his therapies. Guess what, she wants to give it back to me as she doesn't like his Northern Irish accent.

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Bulldozer View Post
    At the moment a dear friend is undergoing chemo for cancer of the colon. As a believer of positive thought and hypnotherapy, her cousin managed to get the top hypnotherapist in the field to do, for free, several cds from his forthcoming book and I donated my i-pod for her to listen to his therapies. Guess what, she wants to give it back to me as she doesn't like his Northern Irish accent.
    very best wishes to her!

I vote for this guy (and not only for voice)

I took a leak next to Mark Gormley at NEARfest.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I'm curious, how do the people that hate Peter Hammill's singing feel about Mathew Parmenter (Discipline?) Is he a more palatable version? (I like both btw.)
    My thought is that the people who don't like Hammill's voice probably prefer a vocalist like Mel Torme. I really don't get the people who don't like Hammill and Peter Gabriel though - they both have somewhat gravelly or rough voices, but that's part of what for me makes them the most exciting vocalists.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I took a leak next to Mark Gormley at NEARfest.
    I hope that was in the bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post

hence: neal morse (used to but not any more) • roine stolt (although he has a certain coolness factor paired with abysmally schlocky music) • marco glühmann • daniel gildenlöw • derek shulman • james labrie (used to but not any more, part II) • jon davison • dennis deyoung • elton john • matthew bellamy • those irritants in kaipa • plus, steve hogarth’s whiniest moments are slowly becoming borderline tolerable.

theirs are obviously very fine and respected bands but the door to my enjoyment sadly remains firmly shut. i did try on several occasions. no offence!
    I certainly take no offense, but I think Derek Shulman sounds perfect for GG.

And RE: Hogarth, do you mean it's only Hogarth's whiniest moments that you find bearable? Personally I think Hogarth is excellent.

Peter Hammill without blinking an eye. I have in the past and will continue to demand that VdGG offer their entire catalog as instrumentals. Then I'll buy them.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    Oh and Robert Wyatt too, I think Richard, Pye and Robert, the Canterbury lads are just 'too' English for some of you maybe too appreciate, maybe the same way I can't appreciate Springsteen , nothing wrong with that just maybe a cultural thing
    As soon as I hear Springsteen's voice on the radio I have to turn the dial away from it - more than anyone else. More boring than anything else, really.

I love Richard Sinclair's voice. I always remember reading where someone described his vocals as "Matter of Fact," and that's exactly how I think of them. It just suits the material somehow. Doesn't distract and lets the words have all the attention, while still being pleasing (to my ear, anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I certainly take no offense, but I think Derek Shulman sounds perfect for GG.

And RE: Hogarth, do you mean it's only Hogarth's whiniest moments that you find bearable? Personally I think Hogarth is excellent.
    perhaps my hearing/reception/tolerance has shifted. he used to be an excellent narrator, now he falls prey to the plague of over-emoting. that's just me, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    I have in the past and will continue to demand that VdGG offer their entire catalog as instrumentals. Then I'll buy them.
    Hammill's music is conceptualized and organized around the vocal narrative - and more specifically around his voice itself. How about removing the whole orchestra from all Shostakovich symphonies, seeing how someone might not particularly enjoy its "sound"?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

online from time to time Czyszy's Avatar
    Nad Sylvan's voice to me sounds like even though he's opening his mouth, his throat stays in place in an awkward way. That leads to his vowels sounding very artificial and muffled IMO.
    Last edited by Czyszy; 02-25-2023 at 04:24 PM.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA

Necrothread reanimation
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Jon Anderson is sometimes pushing it.
    Bernardo Lanzetti should never sing in english

I have no beef with Peter Hammills voice

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I'm only seeing this thread because Czyszy bumped it.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I love Richard Sinclair's voice. I always remember reading where someone described his vocals as "Matter of Fact," and that's exactly how I think of them. It just suits the material somehow. Doesn't distract and lets the words have all the attention, while still being pleasing (to my ear, anyway).
    Me too, but he bugs both my wife and my brother. One of them said he sounds like a Muppet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    ......but he bugs both my wife and my brother. One of them said he sounds like a Muppet.
    Come to think of it, he does sound a little like Kermit - or, more accurately, Jim Henson - only with a British accent.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I can think of only two times that Gabriel's voice was annoying:
    The affectations on Epping Forest, and Strawberry Fields Forever on the All This And World War II.