Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Suggest some cool Box sets for Xmas

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    I like Turtles, Shortbread cookies and Fruitcake myself.

Oh not the kind of boxed set your on about?
    No it wasn't what he had in mind, but now I want all three of those!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

It has been out for a while, but the Blue Oyster Cult box set is outstanding. All of the studio and live albums up through “Imaginos” are included and re-mastered including an expanded version of “Some Enchanted Evening”. There is also a CD of rarities, and a CD of live material from their radio broadcasts. Nice booklet too. One of my favorite box sets.

I also picked up the Kansas box set with all of the studio / Live albums up through “Drastic Measures”. A very nice collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    I like Turtles, ....Oh not the kind of boxed set your on about?
    DtB
    I wish someone would issue a boxset of the entire Turtles discography. Sundazed, you hear me?
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Bump...

Just got an email from Pop Market today.....Complete Led Zepplin reissue......$950.00
    Yes Progeny cd box.....$45.00. 3LP $25.00. Price coming down......
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

New Tull boxed set of Too Old to Rock 'n Roll is revelatory.

Just saw The Doors "A Collection" for just over $30 if you need to fill out your Doors albums.. Sweet price for the 6 CD set.
    Update.. just got a notice from Amazon.. this set has drop to $22.. what a deal.. The whole catalog with Morrison for just over $20.. original mixes
    Last edited by happytheman; 12-04-2015 at 05:31 PM.

Just heard an old Traffic-song (Paper Moon) and I thought, well if there's a box-set from a group I'd like to have it would be from Traffic. I have most of their LP's, but there's not such an "Island Years" set like John Martyn I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    This is mighty tempting ... Are there individual booklets with liner-notes & credits or is it alltogether in a single booklet?
    You shouldn't worry about that - just go to Wikipedia, lol.

I do get what you were saying (I think) - it might be better to have a single page dedicated to the entire discography of an artist? But then, I've seen individual songs have their own page...

Sent Via PE's Mobile App
    <sig out of order>

just about any box set from Chess Records

or

Crazy Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    It has been out for a while, but the Blue Oyster Cult box set is outstanding. All of the studio and live albums up through “Imaginos” are included and re-mastered including an expanded version of “Some Enchanted Evening”. There is also a CD of rarities, and a CD of live material from their radio broadcasts. Nice booklet too. One of my favorite box sets.

I also picked up the Kansas box set with all of the studio / Live albums up through “Drastic Measures”. A very nice collection.
    Also a download card for four more live shows...320k MP3 and all very good...

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I got that Miles Davis one a couple of years ago; essential jazz! Wouldn't mind having that Tony Banks.

I know you're not a hard bop/post bop fan, but I am... and that Atlantic stuff is great. Some of it has Tyner and Jones, but they hadn't settled on Garrison until the Impulse albums. I love that period when Trane was in mid transition (no pun) between his chord progression obsession and his modal thing (that he got further and further into on the Impulse albums). One of the interesting things about the Atlantic box is hearing how bop influenced McCoy was in the early days.
    There was a box of Coltrane's studio recordings for Impulse! a few years back....

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    If you want to break out of the usual prog box (ha!), one of my favorite boxed sets of this past year is the Isley Brothers collection: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...album-masters/
    Nearly worth it just for the 'Wild in Woodstock' album which is just BLISTERING.
    Yes!!!

The Isley Brothers are, alas, one of the biggest examples of what could be called a 'licensing nightmare'. So many hits but so many record labels! Those guys go way back to the 50s; 'Shout' was 1959, I think!

Agreed on Traffic not really getting the attention they merit.

Weather Report / The Legendary Live Tapes: 1978-1981. Focuses on the Joe Zawinul, Wayne Shorter, Jaco Pastorius, Peter Erskine (and sometimes Bobby Thomas, Jr.) lineup of WR. Erskine's liner notes indicate that WR was woefully under-recorded in concert. The tapes from which this 4 CD set is culled are from the archives of Erskine, WR soundman Brian Risner and a fan from Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Be aware that the ELO one does not contain the Xanadu soundtrack, to which ELO contributed half of the songs and most of which were hits.
    yeah. the actual soundtrack sound quality really sucks too. i had always hoped that Jeff would remaster those 5 tracks. he did re-record the title track (without Olivia of course) for the Flashback box set. the soundtrack was never remastered.

^To be honest, I don't think it's the best ELO work anyway. That and (to a lesser extent) Discovery have a few things which I just find ELO-by-numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I bought this recently.

I saw this last w-e and at 30.00€ for 7 albums, I grabbed it and quickly

Awesome presentation (never seen that Spectrum was a gatefold cover before)

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    This looks like a "must have" for me....I had ALL of these on vinyl back-in-the-day and only 2 or 3 on CD as of now.

Do any other these albums have bonus material???......thx.
    Not that I've seen, but I've yet to investigate in depth.

One booklet. And it's a classy one! The only criticism I have concerning this set is that the Spectrum disc is very hard to remove from the gatefold sleeve. No problem with the other discs which are housed in non fold out sleeves.
    Booklet's a classy act.

Will try extracting the Cd from Spectrum GF cover tonight.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    The Steve Hackett "Premonitions" box is very nice.
    Chad

Since the One Shot box will be a fact, it could be a contender.

One booklet. And it's a classy one! The only criticism I have concerning this set is that the Spectrum disc is very hard to remove from the gatefold sleeve. No problem with the other discs which are housed in non fold out sleeves.
    Yup, this is amazingly difficult to extract it without damaging the gatefold sleeve. I will leave it out from it from now on... just found a little plastic envelope and will store separately in the box. The other single sleeve have no such problems because of an inventive cut-out. The problem is that these mini-Lp have the 12x12cm format, whereas a lot of the Japanese are 13x13cm, which is so much easier for disc handling
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Suspended
    I wonder what box sets, or other physical recorded music, PE members may have got for Xmas, and which they are now looking to rapidly dispose of via eBay or Discogs?

Heh.