Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggest some cool Box sets for Xmas

Suggest some cool Box sets for Xmas

Since the Guapo CD/DVD box Set: History of the Visitation will not be released until 2013, suggest me some cool PROG, JAZZ, FUSION and/or ELECTRONIC box sets for Xmas.

I don't keep up with recent releases as well as many other here so don't hold anything back that might seem obvious. I really might not know about it.

Thanks...

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I picked up an ELO Box Set that was a good deal. Sorry for the 3 year delay in responding.

This thread is still relevant for the 2015 Holiday Season...so. I'll repeat the question:

Suggest me/us some cool box-sets.

I already have the RUSH R40 set on my Xmas list.

ohhhh yeah, just added that MAGMA box set to my list too....keep those ideas coming
    Last edited by Supersonic Scientist; 11-10-2015 at 04:11 PM.

This does not really fit any of the genres you mention, but I just picked up the Alice Cooper mini-box set which contains the band and his first 15 albums. It is a great little collection.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The Tangerine Dream and Edgar Froese Virgin Years sets.

If you want to break out of the usual prog box (ha!), one of my favorite boxed sets of this past year is the Isley Brothers collection: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...album-masters/
    Nearly worth it just for the 'Wild in Woodstock' album which is just BLISTERING.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

Don't know if it's in your wheelhouse, but I'm getting my GF the new Bruce Springsteen The River boxset. Bruce fans are going gaga over it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Suspended
    Joni Mitchell box set

Looks to be great value for someone who likes Joni and does not already have all or most of the first 10 albums.

Janne Schaffer: Music Story

R-5763949-1402000891-7102.jpeg.jpg

10 CD's plus 2 DVD's from this fine Swedish guitarist, who played with Isildurs Bane, Toto-musicians, Abba and many more.

I'm really enjoying the new David Bowie box set, and it was a good way to fill in the gaps in my collection:
    http://www.amazon.com/Five-Years-196...ds=david+bowie

That, Magma and Thrak are the only new boxes I'll pick up this year, but I've been considering the Queen collections put out about five years ago. Looks like a good way to get all that music at once. The last Miles Davis box set is on my radar, too.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

John Coltrane: The Atlantic Studio Album Collection: 8 albums for about $55. Great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    John Coltrane: The Atlantic Studio Album Collection: 8 albums for about $55. Great stuff!
    Great suggestion No Pride....THAT is going on the Xmas list for sure

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    This does not really fit any of the genres you mention, but I just picked up the Alice Cooper mini-box set which contains the band and his first 15 albums. It is a great little collection.
    Picked this up too but a little on the expensive side!

There is a plethora of new box sets in the 'Original album series' that are dirt cheap!

Brad Mehldau: 10 Years Solo Live
    Live recordings of solo Brad at various venues

4 CDs: $35
    OR
    8 LP: $150

Vinyl boxes are cool but... not at 4x the price.

In terms of Mehldau's take on contemporary songs, you get:
    Blackbird, Jigsaw Falling Into Place, And I Love Her, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Teardrop, Knives Out, Bittersweet Symphony, Waterloo Sunset, Interstate Love Song, Hey You, God Only Knows

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post

I may have steered you wrong, Supersonic; I can't find it as a physical product, just download.

I may have steered you wrong, Supersonic; I can't find it as a physical product, just download.
    No you didn't - it's called 'Heavyweight Champion: the Complete Atlantic Recordings" and was released a number of years ago. It has all of the music he recorded for Atloantic in order, but it's packaged as a box set, not a collection of individual albums. There are sealed copies on Amazon for $40 - a fantastic deal for stuff that will enjoyed for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    No you didn't - it's called 'Heavyweight Champion: the Complete Atlantic Recordings" and was released a number of years ago. It has all of the music he recorded for Atloantic in order, but it's packaged as a box set, not a collection of individual albums. There are sealed copies on Amazon for $40 - a fantastic deal for stuff that will enjoyed for many years.
    Good to know; thanks, Facelift!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Glad I revived the thread, after 3 years!!! Some good suggestions I might follow-up on.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I just picked up the Alice Cooper mini-box set which contains the band and his first 15 albums.
    And that counts as a "mini" box set?!

Some boxes I picked up this year were the Ant Phillips Harvest Of The Heart, Tony Banks A Chord Too Far and Area The Essential Box Set Collection. And although I've had it for a few years now, I'd always recommend the Miles Davis 2nd. Quintet box, which contains every note that band recorded in the studio - outstanding.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    10, actually. 8 that were released as individual albums while he was under contract with Atlantic, and 2 more that were released posthumously. I'll have to throw this on the want pile.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Picked this up too but a little on the expensive side!

There is a plethora of new box sets in the 'Original album series' that are dirt cheap!
    Agreed, I thought the price was a bit high too, although typically with these the prices come down a bit after the initial release. I purchased this one right when it was released, so figured it would be a bit higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    10, actually. 8 that were released as individual albums while he was under contract with Atlantic, and 2 more that were released posthumously. I'll have to throw this on the want pile.
    It's a great set, too, as is this one http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Quarte...ne+impulse+box

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'd always recommend the Miles Davis 2nd. Quintet box, which contains every note that band recorded in the studio - outstanding.
    THAT is an excellent one to put on my Xmas list...I've wanted to get this for some time now.......thx Progatron !!

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    If it was for the Impulse! years, I' d go for it right away

not that big on his Atlantic days (Olé being the exception that confirms this rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Oddly enough I dobn't remember Trane recording that many albums for Ahmet... I can picture 6 or 7 .... but 10??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.