Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Lennon: Double Fantasy

Re: Ono - YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Holy Krishna on a stick- why has no one told me about this??!! I just checked it out on Youtube and the remixes clearly elevate this to best JL solo album ever status for me. I'm buying it tomorrow.
    Lol... Your going to love it a must for any Lennon fan definitely crank up " I'm losing you" the vocals are incredible like I said the best Lennon vocals ever! When it was released a good audiophile friend of mine was raving about how good the vocal quality was and highly recommended picking it up even though I had a previous version. So glad I did. Enjoy it.

Plenty of nice moments in there, and for us who were young at the time it came out it'll forever be redolent of the terrible events of that December. 'Starting Over' was never off the jukeboxes of the bars I used to drink in back then, or so it feels.
    'Woman' I think owes a little to Todd Rundgren's 'Fade Away', from Hermit of Mink Hollow. But then again Lennon thought 'I Saw The Light' owed something to 'There's A Place'!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Same here. As Gladiator says, the guide vocals are some of John's best-ever singing -- beat the released versions by a country mile. Although on reflection and closer listen, I think I'll do digital downloads. I care a lot less about Yoko's contributions.
    Created a nice 6-song 24-minute EP ("Stripped Down" indeed!) using John's tracks. I left off "Dear Yoko" 'cos that track sounds like such a throwaway to me. The rest make a nice coherent & concise set.

The 'Stripped Down' versions seem like the same vocal takes as made the album to me.
    Last edited by JJ88; 12-04-2013 at 03:14 AM.

I never cared for Dear Yoko either but it comes across much better here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The 'Stripped Down' versions seem like the same vocal takes as made the album to me,
    They are.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm fine with Dear Yoko. It's very relevant of their relationship at the time, when he was the stay-at-home parent, while she was out conducting business, like the famous sale of a Holstein cow for a quarter million bucks. The dialog at the fade-out sums it all up.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I'm fine with Dear Yoko. It's very relevant of their relationship at the time, when he was the stay-at-home parent, while she was out conducting business, like the famous sale of a Holstein cow for a quarter million bucks. The dialog at the fade-out sums it all up.
    It's not the lyrical content or idea of the song that's offputting. I just think it's repetitive and gets old after about 30 seconds. The stripped down version brings up the harmonicas which makes it more playful sounding.

It's not the lyrical content or idea of the song that's offputting. I just think it's repetitive and gets old after about 30 seconds. The stripped down version brings up the harmonicas which makes it more playful sounding.
    It's a little ditty. I wouldn't take it too seriously or look for anything more than an ode to his love. Just like "Oh Yoko" on "Imagine."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Is 'not real crazy about' less offensive?
    Less offensive than wishing death on someone? Ummm...yeah.

^ The average person saying 'Chapman shot the wrong one" is like when somebody says somebody else 'can go to hell' or 'go fuck him/herself'. they don't mean it literally. it's just a flippant remark.

Banned
    ^ The average person saying 'Chapman shot the wrong one" is like when somebody says somebody else 'can go to hell' or 'go fuck him/herself'. they don't mean it literally. it's just a flippant remark.
    Well then you must be accepting of the proposition that the person who John Lennon loved the most should be relegated to comments on the same level as the aforementioned phrases, just because it can simply be construed as a "flippant remark". Do you let other people talk about your loved ones like that, whether they mean it or not?

^ The average person saying 'Chapman shot the wrong one" is like when somebody says somebody else 'can go to hell' or 'go fuck him/herself'.
    No, it isn't.

I would never condone it but ugly dark humor in the wake of tragedy is an American tradition. Remember the jokes going around after the Challenger disaster?

DON'T WORRY DON'T WORRY DON'T WORRY DON'T WORRY DON'T WORRY DON'T WORRY DON'T WORRY DON'T WORRY DON'T WORRY DON'T WORRY DON'T WORRY DON'T WORRY

As far as sarcastic comments about Yoko go, it's largely her own fault. The reason everyone blames her for breaking up The Beatles was because John insisted on having her with him everywhere he went. Never mind that The Beatles "would have broken up anyway", your band's rehearsal/recording sessions is the last place your girlfriend/wife/concubine/"Or whatever she is" should be hanging out at.

Then she compounded the matter by insisting on having a recording career, more specifically that a sizeable chunk of doing stuff like recording a 20 minute track that sounds she like she's trapped in an echo chamber, praying to the Porcelain Goddess.

Unfortunately, when you occupy that place in history (whether rightly or wrongly), people are gonna say cruel or tasteless things to/about you. As a Japanese director once said about the censorship of the pubic region in his home country, "That's just the way it is".

Personally, I always liked the standup comedian I saw years ago who suggested that if Mark David Chapman had listened to Yoko's records instead of John's, maybe he'd have killed himself.

Oh and on the "She broke up The Beatles" point, judging from her appearance on Letterman a couple weeks ago, she seems to at least have a sense of humor about it.

Banned
    I would never condone it but ugly dark humor in the wake of tragedy is an American tradition.
    Well then, there's definitely something wrong with America.

Remember the jokes going around after the Challenger disaster?
    Actually, no.

Dark humor isn't just an American tradition, I think it's a tradition in a lot of areas. You ever watch Monty Python? Sure, the Spanish Inquisition skit is hilarious, but they're sending up a very real and very dark period in European history.

As for Challenger jokes, yes I remember them:

Q:What was the last thing Christa McCaullife said?
    A: Hey, what does this button do?

Q: What was Commander Scobee's last words?
    A: No! Don't touch that...

Q: What color were Christa McCaullife's eyes?
    A: One blew this way, and the other blew that way.

The eyes joke got recycled for the Kurt Cobain (alleged) suicide. I also remember a joke about Freddie Prinze:

Q: How did the police know Freddie Prinze was Jewish?
    A: He shot himself in the temple!

I also remember one for the debacle at The Who concert in Cincinnati in 1979:

On December 3, 1979, 18,000 fans saw The Who perform in Cincinnati. Eleven fans saw Keith Moon.