Thread: Pearl Jam want to be more like Pink Floyd

Pearl Jam want to be more like Pink Floyd

Home > News > Pearl Jam: We want to be more like Pink Floyd
    Pearl Jam: We want to be more like Pink Floyd
    Comments 2 gbarton at 10:08am October 15 2013 Sirens song: Vedder with Pearl Jam
    Pearl Jam’s new single was recorded in homage to Pink Floyd and was inspired after guitarist Mike McCready was ‘blown away’ at a live version of The Wall.

The Seattle band’s latest single Sirens hit stores this week and McCready tells Billboard the track was penned with the aim of having a Pink Floyd feel.

He says: “Before it was called Sirens, it was written two years ago. I was at Roger Waters concert and was completely blown away by The Wall. I wanted to write something that would have a Pink Floyd type feel.

“We recorded a demo of it [but Pearl Jam singer Eddie Vedder] didn’t put the lyrics on it until the second time we went back in. I heard them the night that he put them on there and they just brought me to tears. This is Ed at his best in my mind.”

Sirens is the second single off the new Pearl Jam album Lightning Bolt and follows the album’s lead single, Mind Your Manners.

Pearl Jam will also be the focus of Pearl Jam Week on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon next week Stateside.

Shame The Wall didn't have more of a Pink Floyd type feel.

Quote Originally Posted by m0n0mania View Post
    Zing!

Yeah, that was one of the records where Pink Floyd themselves were trying to get away from "sounding like Pink Floyd". I'm still not sure if that was down to Roger Waters, a concerted group decision, or if there was pressure from SPECTRE...er, I mean the rat bastards at EMI...that is, the executives, to "produce some hit singles".

Pearl Jam is now destined for oldies stations, considering the fact that I heard "Another Brick in the Wall" (following "Misunderstanding", BTW) yesterday on the local one.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Nice! Never bought that album.

And I don't recall any Pink Floyd singers sounding like a dying goat. PJ is gonna have to work on that.

I like the new single. I didn't hear any Pink Floyd, maybe because of Vedder's voice but it's a decent song. You haters can go back to your Miley Cyrus and One Direction if it twists your panties so much.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I actually wanted to give the song a chance (I hated early Pearl Jam, but I liked "Wishlist", and I do have to admire them for persevering) but nothing in it really grabbed me. It's a decent song, and well-written, but it's just "there". And yeah, Pink Floyd comparisons are definitely a stretch.