Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vote for Yes (and Peter Gabriel too) for the R&RHoF

Not only is Yes excited about it but also Jon Anderson is jumping for joy after finding out about their nomination. If and I really wanna say when,they get in JON has to be by their side. Jon Davison is their singer now,but the legacy that got them this nomination started in 1972 and that is Jon Anderson's toils. You can only vote once so,all I can do is wait.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    I voted for Yes, but they have no chances to get over Nirvana. I haven't heard Nirvana, but I know they are massively popular.
    And, let's face it, popularity is pretty much all the HOF is about, anyway.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I voted for YES, KISS and the Replacements; all significant in different ways . . .

-YES for it's musical virtuosity as well as contributions to Rock sound and tech industry (after the Grateful Dead, YES really were the front movers in developing rock music for arena presentation)

-KISS for it's contributions to youth culture and rock merchandising within the entertainment industry

-the 'Mats for bringing actual song writing to the American punk movement and for being a true regional and independent "punk" band to the major labels via their eventual signing to Sire records, something that Nirvana certainly benefitted from a decade or so later

honestly the whole thing is more than just music/ability/songwriting. it's funny when people rant on about "three chords" etc when Chuck Berry and Little Richard loom over Rock Music

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Deep Purple, along with Black Sabbath & Led Zeppelin, defined what was known as heavy metal and are the forefathers of all metal bands who followed.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    OH yeah, now I remember, I voted for Chic also. And yeah, I voted for Yes too.

I always think it's funny when people kvetch about certain inductees, it's also the disco, R&B and pop people. People seem to take exception to Donna Summer being in the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame, but they don't seem to mind the likes of James Taylor being inducted. Curious that seems to be the case.

Back in the late 80's, I remember Dennis Leary had a piece about parents who were suing heavy metal bands because their kids committed suicide. He suggested that he should be allowed to sue James Taylor for turning him into a pussy back in the 70's.
    The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame decided YEARS ago (like, in the first few years of its existence) that the words "rock and roll" were going to be meant to encompass almost all of post-1950 popular music. Crying about rap and r&b artists getting in now is just ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Not only is Yes excited about it but also Jon Anderson is jumping for joy after finding out about their nomination. If and I really wanna say when,they get in JON has to be by their side. Jon Davison is their singer now,but the legacy that got them this nomination started in 1972 and that is Jon Anderson's toils. You can only vote once so,all I can do is wait.
    This may be the only chance for us to get the classic reformation with Jon A. and Rick W. to perform at least one more time. Does not guarantee they do; see Genesis and Pink Floyd, but it's something.
    Also, I voted more than once. Did not stop me when I opened the link again. Keep voting over and over. You know you have nothing better to do.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Since they haven't been mentioned on this thread yet, I am guessing that at least a few people here haven't heard the Meters.

Invest two minutes of your life and tell me if you've ever heard a slinkier instrumental than this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X-6_0YqgeI

Here's the same song from the "Music from Free Creek" album, with Todd Rundgren on guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q32FeLTuI8

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Deep Purple, along with Black Sabbath & Led Zeppelin, defined what was known as heavy metal and are the forefathers of all metal bands who followed.
    It seems like idiosyncrasy about Deep Purple, I suspect some authorities in HOF simply don't want DP to be inducted.

Just voted. Honestly, I'm surprised Yes is even in 4th place at the moment (Gabe is in 5th). Good work everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame decided YEARS ago (like, in the first few years of its existence) that the words "rock and roll" were going to be meant to encompass almost all of post-1950 popular music. Crying about rap and r&b artists getting in now is just ridiculous.
    Agreed.

[also Jon Anderson is jumping for joy after finding out about their nomination.]

To be honest I bet he could care less.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

And the reputation for that alone especially among the kiddies is why they are beating YES by about 8,000 votes. Not that it's a contest or anything. Oh wait, it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    What will be interesting if Yes gets in is who will be included. They have had so many different members over the years, but as we have seen with other bands not everyone will be invited to the party.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    What will be interesting if Yes gets in is who will be included. They have had so many different members over the years, but as we have seen with other bands not everyone will be invited to the party.
    Squire and other band members have long said that they think everyone should be there (if they get inducted). I would expect Anderson and Wakeman, probably Rabin.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    The other nominations for the class of 2014 include Hall & Oates, the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Chic, Peter Gabriel, LL Cool J, N.W.A., Link Wray, the Meters, Linda Ronstadt, Cat Stevens and The Zombies.
    One of Steve Howe's sons was in a Meters tribute band.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The HOF determines what band members are inducted and there is ample precedent for later or earlier members of classic bands not being inducted. A few examples:

Black Sabbath: only the original band was inducted
    Genesis: Gabriel, Banks, Rutherford, Collins, Hackett
    The Beach Boys: B. Wilson, D. Wilson, C. Wilson, Al Jardine, Mike Love
    Van Halen: Roth and Hagar? Yes. Gary Cherone? No.

What does this mean for Yes if they get in? I think they will probably focus on members from the Atlantic/Atco years that actually produced the body of work that made Yes worthy of consideration in the first place. I'd guess that everyone who was on stage for the Union tour is a lock and maybe they will include Banks, Moraz, Horn and Downes too. I doubt that you will see Sherwood, Khoroshev, David, O. Wakeman or Davison inducted and IMHO it wouldn't be appropriate for them to be inducted either.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

it does count, .02% of the vote, lol.

I would love to see Kiss get in and Nirvana not, but that would only happen in a parallel universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    What does this mean for Yes if they get in? I think they will probably focus on members from the Atlantic/Atco years that actually produced the body of work that made Yes worthy of consideration in the first place. I'd guess that everyone who was on stage for the Union tour is a lock and maybe they will include Banks, Moraz, Horn and Downes too. I doubt that you will see Sherwood, Khoroshev, David, O. Wakeman or Davison inducted and IMHO it wouldn't be appropriate for them to be inducted either.
    That would make sense.

Steve Sly

[and maybe they will include Banks,]

Not possible. If you mean Tony Banks then wrong band.

voted Deep Purple, Yes, Zombies
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Oh, I agree that crying about R&B, pop, disco and rap artists is ridiculous. I just think it's funny nobody seems to know that James Taylor, who I think is a much bigger affront than let's say Donna Summer, was also inducted some years back. I mean, if you're gonna have a pussy like James Taylor, you might as well as induct Pat Boone, Percy Faith and Mitch Miller while you're at it. Oy!

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    The Beach Boys: B. Wilson, D. Wilson, C. Wilson, Al Jardine, Mike Love
    Who else would you induct with The Beach Boys? Darryl Dragon maybe?

Note also that only the original Santana band was inducted ie, not Neal Schon or any of the other guys who played with Carlos after the first couple albums.

When P-Funk were inducted, I believe they inducted something like 15 people, which I think I read has so far been the largest group induction. I think it was most of the musicians who were in the early/mid 70's era lineups, with about 1978 apparently being the cut off point. Michael Hampton, Glenn Goins and Boogie Mosson are included, but not Blackbyrd McKnight (so says Wikipedia, anyway).
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 10-18-2013 at 09:28 PM.

When P-Funk were inducted, I believe they inducted something like 15 people, which I think I read has so far been the largest group induction.
    Until they finally get around to inducting the King Family.

Then, it will be Yes' turn.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Who else would you induct with The Beach Boys?
    Well, Bruce Johnston, obviously... he helped keep the Beach Boys "afloat" during their early "Brian-less" period, and then basically merged with the band for good around 1979. He's Mike Love's "Yes, we're really the Beach Boys" insurance policy right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Until they finally get around to inducting the King Family.
    Had to Google that one. YIKES! Talk about something that could make a man wake up screaming in the middle of the night!

I wonder if they'll eventually induct The Shaggs.