Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FEATURED CD: Love - Forever Changes

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Just listened to the first half on my way in to work this morning and I do not get the dislike of "Old Man."
    I don't either. Some of my favorite Love tunes are sung by MacLean.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

My first Love album was a compilation on Esel records called Love Revisited. I loved the way that compilation flowed (no pun intended) and have yet to find a compilation to replace it on CD as all more recent compilations cover too much of Forever Changes, which I already have. The other individual albums are patchy so a good comp is the way to go IMO (apart from FC of course).

PiscesPraematurus PiscesPraematurus's Avatar
    So weird, so great.

Still listening ... I think this may be the best single "artistic statement" of the '60s California psyche scene. The Doors and the Airplane all released great songs, but never a wall-to-wall great album -- well, maybe After Bathing at Baxter's, but that's not as easy to listen to as this one is.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Still listening ... I think this may be the best single "artistic statement" of the '60s California psyche scene. The Doors and the Airplane all released great songs, but never a wall-to-wall great album -- well, maybe After Bathing at Baxter's, but that's not as easy to listen to as this one is.
    Even Baxter's, which is the Airplane's most adventurous album imo and I love it, has "Spare Chaynge" ( JA's indulgence to match Love's "Revelation" on Da Capo or the Beatles "#9,#9,#9" ad nauseum).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Baxter's may be JA's most experimental (read, "indulgent") album, but Crown of Creation is their "wall-to-wall" 60s "artistic statement"....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Baxter's may be JA's most experimental (read, "indulgent") album, but Crown of Creation is their "wall-to-wall" 60s "artistic statement"....
    ...but Volunteers is my fav. So many classic tracks on that album, though they moved away from psychedelia and towards country on that album.