Thread: Inconsolable Secret - Originals vs Remixes

Inconsolable Secret - Originals vs Remixes

Curious of opinions on the 5 remixed songs from this fine album. Do you prefer the original or remixed tracks, and if so why?

I like both, I really love what they did with the remixed songs , just outstanding . But the original is my favorite album from the great Glass Hammer. I am very happy that I bought the new issue of it, it gets plenty of play time on my stereo, both versions.

I missed out on Inconsolable Secret the first time around. Dunno why. I bought the previous 3 GH releases and enjoyed them all. Hearing IS now for the first time, I prefer the remix and the single cd running order. CD 2 of the original is too scattered for me, both in terms of composition and the arrangements.

But I am happy that the set includes both versions, and it has been fun to compare the two. So far this is my "reissue of the year" though I have yet to buy Robert Wyatt 1968 which could conceivably knock it out of first place.

After hearing The Knight of the North on last year's Cruise to the Edge, I bought the digital version (only thing I could find). I was not disappointed with it until I played it on my home stereo. It sounded a bit hollow and lacking in dynamic (not a big surprise since it was an MP3 file). What a revelation though when I received the remixed CD! The sounds jumped out of the stereo and the new mixes and added voices and instruments brought the whole experience to a whole new level. But, when I listen to the remixes on my iPod, the same thing happens, the MP3 file sounds muddled. Just too much data for it to read, I guess. So, I only play it at home on my stereo but it has quickly become a favorite despite its liturgical context. It may well someday be declared a masterpiece of sorts if only for its scope and scale reminiscent of great classical composers of the past but for me its become an classic epic. My recommendation is to buy the CD and skip the digital download.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I missed out on Inconsolable Secret the first time around. Dunno why. I bought the previous 3 GH releases and enjoyed them all. Hearing IS now for the first time, I prefer the remix and the single cd running order. CD 2 of the original is too scattered for me, both in terms of composition and the arrangements.

But I am happy that the set includes both versions, and it has been fun to compare the two. So far this is my "reissue of the year" though I have yet to buy Robert Wyatt 1968 which could conceivably knock it out of first place.
    My reissue of the year too. Of course the 2nd disc has some really lovely music on it, such as 'Lirazel' and 'Morrigans Song', that aren't on disc 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jondon4 View Post
    After hearing The Knight of the North on last year's Cruise to the Edge, I bought the digital version (only thing I could find). I was not disappointed with it until I played it on my home stereo. It sounded a bit hollow and lacking in dynamic (not a big surprise since it was an MP3 file). What a revelation though when I received the remixed CD! The sounds jumped out of the stereo and the new mixes and added voices and instruments brought the whole experience to a whole new level. But, when I listen to the remixes on my iPod, the same thing happens, the MP3 file sounds muddled. Just too much data for it to read, I guess. So, I only play it at home on my stereo but it has quickly become a favorite despite its liturgical context. It may well someday be declared a masterpiece of sorts if only for its scope and scale reminiscent of great classical composers of the past but for me its become an classic epic. My recommendation is to buy the CD and skip the digital download.
    Oh wow, I see 99 cents for the whole 24 minute piece! Well that IS a lot of data. So you probably notice a difference between the sound quality of the downloaded 'Knight of the North', and the downloads of the shorter tracks?

I just bought the remixes off of Amazon. "Inconsolable Secret" is possibly my favorite CD of all time, so it's a little weird to hear things switched up like they were in the remixes (especially Long and Long Ago), but I'm trying to listen to them as a "re-imagining" and when I do that, I love 'em!

I think it's so cool that Fred and Steve (first name basis lol) did this. It's a lot of fun to listen to some "alt universe tracks".

In a nutshell, when Glass Hammer makes music, I'm happy. My daughter (who plays ukelele) and myself (guitar) like to hangout and do our version of "Perfect Carousel" at the house, so GH has brought me many smiles. They are top shelf in my eyes!

Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    I just bought the remixes off of Amazon. "Inconsolable Secret" is possibly my favorite CD of all time, so it's a little weird to hear things switched up like they were in the remixes (especially Long and Long Ago), but I'm trying to listen to them as a "re-imagining" and when I do that, I love 'em!

I think it's so cool that Fred and Steve (first name basis lol) did this. It's a lot of fun to listen to some "alt universe tracks".

In a nutshell, when Glass Hammer makes music, I'm happy. My daughter (who plays ukelele) and myself (guitar) like to hangout and do our version of "Perfect Carousel" at the house, so GH has brought me many smiles. They are top shelf in my eyes!
    Wow, favorite cd of all time huh? Nice. One of my very favorite GH moments is between the 14:30 and 16:00 minute mark of 'Knight of the North'. And though, I can't quite say 'favorite cd of all time', I do regard it as one of my favorites of the 21st century. How cool that you and your daughter play Glass Hammer! My daughters and I like to play music together as well, though we haven't done a cover since they were about 15. (ten years or so ago)

Ordered this yesterday - it fills a gap for one of my favorite current prog bands. I have never heard any of it - looking forward to immersing myself in all three discs.

I much prefer the new mixes. Guitar work is much more prominent and I really like the extended bottom end.