Thread: Steve Lukather is angry...

Steve Lukather is angry...

And rightfully so. *Man*, I wish more A-list artists would speak out like this. Just too unseemly for most, I guess. Great, short read!

http://mikeec.tumblr.com/post/241720...-it-like-it-is

David Byrne said similar in a Guardian article recently. These voices will grow IMHO.

Well, I'll be 102 next year and agree with everything Luke said!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Haven't read the article, but he's been "angry" for at least 13 years now. I remember about 10 years ago reading an interview where he was talking about all the metal bands who were detuning their guitars. He said something like "They're eventually gonna tune so low it'll make you crap your pants everytime they play a chord, and it'll still sound like shit!" I also remember being asked what the studio scene in LA was like and he said "What studio scene?! You go in, play two bars, and the producer loops it! The entire session is over in 10 minutes".

Lukather, who I've seen more than a few times play in his 'fusion mode' at the Baked Potato, pretty much nailed it.

You may want to call it an age thing or whatever, but modern pop music is crap for all the reasons Luke mentioned.

Yeah, I'm a curmudgeon. But I'm a curmudgeon that knows the difference between good pop music, and crap (even though I'm not a pop fan).
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Well, I like the sentiment but things are the way they are and no amount of yelling "GET OFF MY LAWN" is going to change it now.

Nice article. My favorite line regarding the context of modern Pop music in the lives of young persons today:

"Environmental noise for the multi-tasker"

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Nice article. My favorite line regarding the context of modern Pop music in the lives of young persons today:

"Environmental noise for the multi-tasker"
    Nothing new. In the past operas also were used as background for other activities.

my favorite part:

'We live in a McWorld that moves way too fast and now even the drugs suck. I mean when I was young and got high I never got naked foaming at the mouth and tried to eat someone’s face off.'

Great rant, thanks for sharing.

Maybe the next GEN will be sick of their parents being on their I-phone, watching their favorite TV shows on the TV and internet at the same time, get sick of hearing canned garbage coming out of a 1/2 speaker auto-tuned to unlistenability.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Here's David Byrne's article from the Guardian. I almost made a post of it but this will do:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...-content-world

If the acts that stayed off Spotify from the beginning (Zep, Floyd, AC/DC, Garth Brooks, etc.) were savvy enough to stay away why didn't other acts do the same? That's what I don't get, unless it was the labels not the musicians that were responsible.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Both articles are very revealing... Don't know anything about Spotify.. have pulled up Pandora before @ Christmas time simply to have background music on so I guess I'm guilty..
    With that said.. I do try when I'm at a live show to support the band I'm seeing by buying their "stuff" i.e. CD's if they have them on display, T-shirts etc.

GuitarGeek is right. Lukather's always angry about something or other... I saw him once about 15 years ago and in between most songs, he ranted about his #$&ing b#$*% of a girlfriend. On and on. Apparently they had had a big fight and she locked him out of the apartment.

I brought along my very prim and proper girlfriend and I was really embarrassed about it. But she just laughed it off and at one point said "yeah I would have locked him out too...".

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    If the acts that stayed off Spotify from the beginning (Zep, Floyd, AC/DC, Garth Brooks, etc.) were savvy enough to stay away why didn't other acts do the same? That's what I don't get, unless it was the labels not the musicians that were responsible.
    Most acts don't have control over their catalogue in the same way that for instance Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd have.

Its really a no win situation. You have to produce music simply for the love of it. Weird concept in todays world, but there is no fix in site that I can see. I've kicked up my purchases over the past 5 years, but it is a paltry contribution, compared with what is needed.

Luthaker and Byrne have both become the "IBM Selectric repair men" of the world.

If all musicians were to simply quit today, we would still have music for the next 100 years, because most music today can be recycled by crafting together stuff that already exists. Music (in general) is as plentiful as air. People who are real fans have foreseen this fate for years and it is now becoming apparent that "free music is good for Artists" is finally being seen for what it is. False.

I know guys like Tom Petty & Steve Albini have ranted about the industry before. Does anyone know of any other musicians/ business figures who've done the same? I'd love to read em.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    People who are real fans have foreseen this fate for years and it is now becoming apparent that "free music is good for Artists" is finally being seen for what it is.
    Couple that with the "play for free (exposure)" mentality with today's youth as well. Jeeze, I remember the very first gig I ever played, straight out of the garage, we still got paid $50. Go check out Craigslist for all the clubs/venues offering "exposure" as payment. And we're not talking just for 12 year old garage band kids either. Pathetic!

Should I know who Steve Lukather is? Granted, I don't like jazz or fusion but I still know the names of lots of jazz and fusion artists, but I've never heard of this man...my problem I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Should I know who Steve Lukather is? Granted, I don't like jazz or fusion but I still know the names of lots of jazz and fusion artists, but I've never heard of this man...my problem I guess.
    Lukather is a member Toto and a session guitarists on many many albums.

Here's my favorite line:

When we were kids there were only a handful or artists and they WERE great cause they HAD to be.
    Amen, brother.