Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discovering a new Band and their back catalog

Stevo, I have often been in the position you are in and I truly enjoy it. There is so much great stuff out there that so much of the enjoyment it actually finding it.

I am 49 and grew up with most of the "classic" bands, so it has been the Neo Prog, Post Prog and any other newer prog groups that I have had to explore.

I don't like ITunes and the such. I like to support groups by purchasing brick and mortar cd's whenever possible and do my homework with the goal being the finding of new genres/groups and delving into their cd's. I use ITunes to load songs from CD's I own onto an MP3 player, but I have never downloaded a song from any on line service.

It is difficult to suggest possibilities without knowing what you have liked from your earlier meanderings. However, I suggest that you just keep open to all the ways of finding out about new bands. I explore groups I encounter in magazines like Prog and Progression. I check out the "CD Reviews" section of DPRP for groups I haven't heard yet. I find a group I enjoy and find someone similar (but different) and start exploring.

I typically like the classic prog sound and most of the neo prog groups. I like some of the Post Prog I have heard, but recently I stumbled on Anathema. Was not at all familiar with them, and stumbled on a used copy of one of their CD's at Newbury Comics. Purchased it and LOVED it. Stumbled on another one of theirs at Newbury's on another visit and now have moved all their releases up on my list.

Just remember, so much of the enjoyment it the trip you took to get there.

Glad to know you're getting into Traffic. A sorely under-appreciated band IMO.

But I'm also a back catalog miner. This has always marked the difference between prog fans and casual "flavor of the moment fans", IMO. As for myself, I'm currently working on David Bowie and Mike Oldfield, both with lots to offer.

In the "classic rock" category I'd also add ELO and Supertramp, two bands that often dovetail with progressive rock. And of course there's always Roxy Music, though they can be a bit more of an acquired taste (and talk about a radical shift in sound from one end to the other!)

Also on the prog front, if you're an ELP fan be sure to dig into Emerson's previous band, The Nice.

oops, did we miss Rush on that list also can be of interest tracking down individual musician's legacy (Simon Philips)

I have had so much fun getting into Gentle Giant. I had Acquiring the Taste for years (like 15 years) before getting into more GG and it really is a breath of fresh air.

I am clearly biased and have a one-track mind, but Magma would be incredibly fruitful, since you have a 40+ year history to look and listen to. many discs to hear, so much good music in so many different varieties of band.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Glass Hammer - "The Inconsolable Secret". One of my favorites, and based on what you said you enjoyed I think you'll like it, too.

Thanks everyone, Im a big fan of most of what has been suggested. Magma, has never been my thing though, but most of the newer prog and neo-prog bands I really like. Right now I'm checking out Traffic and may check out others soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo3385 View Post
    ... but open to fusion, prog/pop, or rock, and someone with a large back catalog.
    i've recently started into the XTC catalog. I saw the video for 'King For A Day' last spring, and thought they sounded interesting. I picked up used copies of Mummer ($5) and 'Wasp Star (Apple Venus 2)' ($2.50), and proceeded on with Skylarking and Oranges and Lemons (new from Amazon).

This past weekend, I bought Nonesuch ($6) and Apple Venus 1 ($6)

Very catchy tunes; many a snippet keep popping up in my head
    Last edited by bigbassdrum; 10-18-2013 at 03:29 PM.
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

You also might want to check out Pendragon, Galahad, and Focus. And the Steve Hackett catalog - he's probably got 20 albums out by now!

The
    Thanks DEG those are all favs of mine

After a break, I've been refamiliarising myself with Danny Vaughn's catalogue. He is an American singer who was a member of Pete Way's excellent Waysted band and Tyketto. Danny Vaughn is neither particularly progressive nor very heavy, but he is a great singer and underrated, so you could overlook him.

Another band I've returned to is Status Quo, via the Japanese reissues of their first five albums. I know they are not cool and their later stuff is rubbish, but the reissues sound sharp and punchy, as well as providing an interesting selection of live performances in the bonuses section.

Saga, Qintessence, Hawkwind, Man, 21st Century Schizoid Band, Ozric Tentacles, Steve Hillage, Mike Oldfield, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Kansas, Horslips, Golden Earring, Fruupp, Caravan, Camel, Atomic Rooster and ELP are all (mostly) progressive and Consistent (imo).
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09