Thread: Featured CD - After Crying : Megalazottak Es Megszomoritottak

Featured CD - After Crying : Megalazottak Es Megszomoritottak

Per Gnosis:
    After Crying's second album, Megalázottak és Megszomorítottak, is a beautiful yet melancholy experience. This Hungarian band combines native influences as well as classical into an intimate chamber sound. The dominance of instruments such as cello, piano and trumpet provide a totally new listening experience for those who view prog simply as a form of rock and roll.

The strength of the band lies in their ability to create hauntingly beautiful yet slightly foreboding atmospheres with quiet passages that lead up to powerful and frenetic crescendos, and then return into calm atmospheric moments. The occasional vocals in Hungarian are sung very smoothly, almost chanting at times, and are used simply to compliment the music, not as the focal point. Minimal drumming helps to move the music along without being obtrusive to the strings and piano.

Tracks of note are the 22 minute opener "A Gadarai Megszállott", with its repeating theme and great cello playing. The action slowly builds throughout the whole piece to the finale, where the trumpet chimes in with a wonderfully intoxicating melody. There are a few parts early on where not much is happening though. The other highlight of the album is the title track, which quickly builds up to the most chaotic part of the album. Powerful drumming is contrasted by flailing cello and stately church organ, which later turns to piano. The second half of the song is much more laid back and atmospheric.

Unfortunately this is the only release by the band done entirely in this style, moving onto a more straight ahead symphonic rock direction with later albums. A personal favorite of mine, this should appeal to fans of classical music, being much closer to the real thing than your typical Emersonian rock bastardization. Any fan of symphonic music should check this out.

- Mike Prete [February 2001]
    http://gnosis2000.net/reviews/aftercrying.htm

Regards,

Duncan

One of my desert island albums....love it all from start to finish...

Yes, this is one of the greats. I really admire the way in which they never allow for the sheer "scope" of composition to compromize the economic approach to structure. Highly arranged, yet strangely simplistic at the same time. Particularly the title track /final bit) has something almost Talk Talk'ian to its meditative quality.

This, and De Profundis, are my two ACrying faves.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    One of my desert island albums....love it all from start to finish...
    What he said!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

This appears impossible to buy on cd.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Yes, this is one of the greats. I really admire the way in which they never allow for the sheer "scope" of composition to compromize the economic approach to structure. Highly arranged, yet strangely simplistic at the same time. Particularly the title track /final bit) has something almost Talk Talk'ian to its meditative quality.

A very brief yet excellent, description.
    Regards,

Duncan

I can't disagree with much that has already been said.

Beautiful and haunting. Seems to have more power in its quiet moments than most bands can produce at fortisimo.

Reveals more with each listen.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Scrotum said:
    Same here and also one of my DIDs.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    This appears impossible to buy on cd.
    Four copies for sale on Discogs.

Absolutely unique in my collection and loved from first play.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    Unsurprisingly Gemm and Musicstack have it also. You could probably buy at least two, maybe three non rare cds for the price though.

Absolute masterpiece

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    My favorite from them.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Although the writing of my now 12 year old review makes me cringe a bit , this is still a favorite after all these years. Just a gorgeous album.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    Three now. Looks like someone here followed through.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    ...the writing of my now 12 year old review makes me cringe a bit ...

Nah - it was well written and conveys the message.
    Regards,

Duncan

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I have something eloquent to say: I f#Cking love this album to death.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Never heard of this before but based on these YouTube clips I obviously need to track this down.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Never heard of this before but based on these YouTube clips I obviously need to track this down.
    I would also track down all their releases up through, and including '6'.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Gotta say I never got the love for this album, or this band. I agree this is probably their best, but it didn't really do much for me and I ditched it ages ago. Listening to the samples again, I see why I let it go. For me, there just isn't enough substance to the music. It sounds cool at first, but the closer I listen, the less I hear going on and the less excited I become. I'm glad others enjoy it, more power to you.

FWIW, I love the AC offshoot Townscream. That one has everything that I feel is missing here.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Gotta say I never got the love for this album, or this band. ...

FWIW, I love the AC offshoot Townscream. That one has everything that I feel is missing here.

Bill
    I tend to agree... the Townscream album achieved greater results than AC... the AC stuff is ok but doesn't thrill me
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

As always, a tip of the cap to that ProgGeezer.....love this album

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    Three now. Looks like someone here followed through.

Yep. I noticed that too. However, a lot of times when you see something on seller sites that says "one in stock" it's pure bs just to make you think there's actually only one left. It's a sales tactic to get you into the scarcity mindset to make you think you have to hurry or else you'll miss out on the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Townscream is great. The only other After Crying (related) album I've wound up keeping. For some reason, the rest of their discography really doesn't do it for me.

Not the typical "progrock" recording to say the least, that pretty much goes for much of AC's output, this transcends such a vague genre cliche, which even as progressive music goes, can be an amalgamation of subgenres. But whenever I get in the AC mood, their music always reminds me of how ambitious their music can be, and perhaps none more ambitious than this one.