Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Led Zeppelin-Celebration Day

I'm gonna look for it at Best Buy. Hope they have it. My kid gave me a BB gift card so that seems like a good way to spend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'm gonna look for it at Best Buy. Hope they have it. My kid gave me a BB gift card so that seems like a good way to spend it.
    just saw it online (BestBuy). there's a bunch of different versions varying in price. 2 CD's + standard DVD: 21.99 - 2 CD's + BluRay: 26.99, etc.

if anybody has the 4 disc set with the bonus DVD, what exactly is on the bonus DVD and is it worth getting?
    Last edited by UnephenStephen; 12-29-2012 at 01:21 PM.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

You are gonna poop!

so about that bonus DVD..

Unevensong - Camel

It's what it is. There are tracks on the bonus DVD that are better than the actual performance and vice versa. It's a rehearsal. It's more enjoyable as audio than video since it's just a reference shot with no close ups.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    It's what it is. There are tracks on the bonus DVD that are better than the actual performance and vice versa. It's a rehearsal. It's more enjoyable as audio than video since it's just a reference shot with no close ups.

Bill
    Seconded. It's a single-camera shoot done from the back of the room as they are rehearsing at Shepperton Studios. While it's true that there are no directly-filmed close-up shots, you do in fact get to see some "second-hand" close-ups via the video screens. I personally prefer the rehearsal versions of "In My Time of Dying" and "Since I've Been Loving You." After the latter, Plant himself asks the sound guy, "Did you record that? We haven't played it that well since around 1910!"
    Last edited by Koreabruce; 12-29-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    just saw it online (BestBuy). there's a bunch of different versions varying in price. 2 CD's + standard DVD: 21.99 - 2 CD's + BluRay: 26.99, etc.

if anybody has the 4 disc set with the bonus DVD, what exactly is on the bonus DVD and is it worth getting?
    I just want the basic DVD. No CDs or extras, just the performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post

"Did you record that? We haven't played it that well since around 1910!"
    That's one of the higlights of the bonus DVD. I also like No Quarter as well. Plant trips over a monitor during the solo section.

I bet it was cool just to sit at Shepperton and watch them rehearse.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

I just want the basic DVD. No CDs or extras, just the performance.
    they don't sell it in that format. all the ones i saw were CD + DVD (or BluRay) combination box sets or the CD only digipak or the BluRay only. check out BestBuy - they're all there.

and speaking of which (to everybody), BB is having a year end clearance sale right now. just ordered the 2 CD + DVD box set for 21.99 (originally 29.98) so i saved $8. and best of all i only had to use one of my 3 BB gift cards to buy it.

forgot to mention there is free shipping if you choose basic shipping. unfortunately it will take over a week to arrive. but hey, if you can wait..
    Last edited by UnephenStephen; 12-30-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    they don't sell it in that format. all the ones i saw were CD + DVD (or BluRay) combination box sets or the CD only digipak or the BluRay only. check out BestBuy - they're all there.

Yeah you're right. I received an Amazon gift card so I purchased Celebration Day at Amazon. I got the 2CD+2DVD set. With shipping it came out to 28 bucks and change. The gift card had 30 bucks on it, so I made out okay. The only thing I don't quite get is that "new" sets were listed at 25.00, "used" sets were listed at 27 dollars and change. Or am I not understanding something?

Anyway, I should have the set by mid-week. Looking forward to it. I've yet to read a bad review about this concert. I never thought LZ could pull it off seeing how old Bobby and Jimmy have gotten. I'll post a review after I've had a chance to watch the thing.

Banned
    Yeah you're right. I received an Amazon gift card so I purchased Celebration Day at Amazon. I got the 2CD+2DVD set. With shipping it came out to 28 bucks and change. The gift card had 30 bucks on it, so I made out okay. The only thing I don't quite get is that "new" sets were listed at 25.00, "used" sets were listed at 27 dollars and change. Or am I not understanding something?

Anyway, I should have the set by mid-week. Looking forward to it. I've yet to read a bad review about this concert. I never thought LZ could pull it off seeing how old Bobby and Jimmy have gotten. I'll post a review after I've had a chance to watch the thing.
    Some outside sellers are crocks. I've been deal with Amazon for years. Something could be advertised on Amazon for $20, but outsider sellers could have it for $25, $40, or $100.

Some interesting things in the Zep interviews in the issue of Mojo with Plant, Page, and Jones on the cover. Apparently all the albums will be reissued with studio outtakes. I'm not going to replace my CDs but this might mean that we will finally get 180g vinyl of those albums. Also, all though Plant shot down the reunion idea and Page refuses to release the new music he, JPJ, and Jason recorded, Jones said he wasn't too thrilled about the idea of a Zeppelin-size stadium tour.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Some interesting things in the Zep interviews in the issue of Mojo with Plant, Page, and Jones on the cover. Apparently all the albums will be reissued with studio outtakes. I'm not going to replace my CDs but this might mean that we will finally get 180g vinyl of those albums. Also, all though Plant shot down the reunion idea and Page refuses to release the new music he, JPJ, and Jason recorded, Jones said he wasn't too thrilled about the idea of a Zeppelin-size stadium tour.
    The news about the albums being reissued is old news from a few months back. IF there's studio outtakes, I'm in. However, I'm out if the price is too high.

I got the package yesterday. Brand new, shrink-wrapped and all that. I haven't had time to view much at all but I played the bonus disk. I was hoping for interviews or maybe a mini documentary or something, but instead it was mostly just the entire rehearsal of the concert, a BBC news clip, and a news clip from the 70s when Zep sold out Tampa Stadium. It's historical and all that but I was really hoping for interviews and stuff like that. But that's only a minor complaint. I'll try and watch the concert DVD this weekend. The CDs I'll get around to at some point.

Just finished watching a borrowed copy...not bad at all. Better than I thought it would be.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

I watched a little more than half the concert DVD last night. WOW! You guys weren't kidding. I'm shocked at how good they played. The magic nd the chemistry were all there. It's a shame they couldn't have done a reunion like this with Jason 20 years ago and gone on tour. Jason Bonham is a rock-solid, drummer. He doesn't sound like his father, he's more like neil Peart I think, but he's got Bonzo's heaviness. Jimmy Page is just killer. He almost sounds grungey and obnoxious on this concert. And you really see/hear the value of JPJ. He's always been the "quiet Zepper" but he was really the glue that kept it together. Truly amazing. I'm glad I made this purchase.

That's 3 Zeppelin DVDs I have now and all of them are spectacular. The first one is the the BIG one from 10 years ago, the second one I have is the Plant/Page "No Quarter" DVD, which is technically not Zeppelin but who're we kidding, it's Led Zeppelin for the grunge 90s, and it's awesome. I'm really amazed at how strong they sound at that O2 Arena thing. Led Zep could make a living doing one concert a year, and people would flock to see them from all over the world.

Watching the dvd is great. But listening to the cd, where the visuals don't play in on the experience it sounds like Pages gingers are getting old. The solos sound noisy and often a bit incoherent.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Olesen View Post
    The solos sound noisy and often a bit incoherent.
    True, but that's part of the charm (imo). The visuals do help though. The facial expressions, the lows slung guitar, etc. You can tell they're totally into it and having a blast. That's what makes it so magical. And really, that's why I've never been a huge fan of live albums. For me the "live" experience includes the visuals (not light shows, I mean I wanna see the band play). Again, my only disappointment was that there weren't interviews or maybe a short documentary.

I don't really go to Page for great live solos. It's more about those amazing riffs and the songs they go in.

I saw the whole concert, finally. I can't gush enough about how cool it is. I'm referring to the performance, the filming, production, visuals, etc. I can't believe that show was 5 years ago already. I doubt the world will ever see something like that again. Anyway, I don't care what anyone says about Jimmy Page, he was (and is) a badass, rock guitarist. He steals the show on this DVD. He's loud, brash, and cocky. I'll have to watch it a few more times in the coming weeks before it really sinks in but so far the standout performances are Dazed and Confused, and Kashmir. Jimmy's just crazy on Kashmir with all those loud, huge power chords. Now, honestly when I saw Dazed and Confused in the setlist I thought "Jeez, another live version of D&C (as if there aren't 10,000 live versions of that song I don't have alreay)." Great song, but overplayed. I know Robert makes a comment about D&C being one of those songs that they have to play, and all that. I think this version is damn cool. They kept it short (about 12 minutes) for once and Jimmy's psychedelic, wah-wah drenched guitar is just sick. A great, great concert DVD. I haven't bothered with the CDs yet but I'll get around to 'em eventually.

Just watched this (or part of it) last night. Got it as a Christmas present and just getting around to finding an evening to watch. My wife fell asleep during Since I've been loving you.... "too many notes" she said when I nudged her so she could watch Stairway to Heaven (after which we paused it). I'm a big Zeppelin fan and I've got dozen's of recordings from the 70's (live) so I know full well Jimmy's live performances can be.... so with that said.... I just wish he would stick to the solo's I grew up with. The songs would sound so much better. He try's to squeeze too much in too little space and it ends up being a sloppy performance. He's a brilliant guitarist ..... ok I'll stop whining and just move on. Robert surprised me with his performance, he "went" for it a couple of times where I felt certain he would play it safe. I understand why they didn't continue with the "world tour" etc. A one off performance much like Floyd's one off is plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I just wish he would stick to the solo's I grew up with. The songs would sound so much better. He try's to squeeze too much in too little space and it ends up being a sloppy performance. He's a brilliant guitarist ..... ok I'll stop whining and just move on. .
    With all due respect, can you imagine how boring that would be for the musician? To have to regurgitate the sake solo night after night (I know this was a one-off, but it wasn't necessarily so at the time)? Most (not all) musicians who consider themselves improvising musicians find the real joy in not repeating themselves.

That said, I though Page did a great job in referencing original solos, and then departing...including on Stairway and Good Times, in particular.

I'm nowhere near the same level, but if I had to repeat myself every night? Well, I'd go mad...or madder anyway, depending on your perception of how I already am...

Anyway, no disrespect intended...you're by no means the only person I know who feels this way, but just propping a counter-argument. There's something to be said for faithful recreation, when so,so have been worked out as integral to the song (genesis springs immediately to mind), but Zeppelin was always an improvising band. My surprise (and pleasure) was that while they stretched out the material, they didn't go so far as in the day, where some songs were 25-30 mins.

Me? I was so surprised at how great this show was I traded in my two-CD set and upgraded to the full enchilada, with Blu Ray and bonus DVD...and i'm glad I did....if for no other reason than the rehearsals give you a chance to hear yet another crack at the songs...solos and all
    Last edited by jkelman; 01-24-2013 at 11:40 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    With all due respect, can you imagine how boring that would be for the musician? To have to regurgitate the sake solo night after night (I know this was a one-off, but it wasn't necessarily so at the time)? Most (not all) musicians who consider themselves improvising musicians find the real joy in not repeating themselves.

That said, I though Page did a great job in referencing original solos, and then departing...including on Stairway and Food Times, in particular.

I'm nowhere near the same level, but if I had to repeat myself every night? Well, I'd go mad...or madder anyway, depending on your perception of how I already am...

Anyway, no disrespect intended...you're by no means the only person I know who feels this way, but just propping a counter-argument. There's something to be said for faithful recreation, when so,so have been worked out as integral to the song (genesis springs immediately to mind), but Zeppelin was always an improvising band. My surprise (and pleasure) was that while they stretched out the material, they didn't go so far as in the day, where some songs were 25-30 mins.

Me? I was so surprised at how great this show was I traded in my two-CD set and upgraded to the full enchilada, with Blu Ray and bonus DVD...and i'm glad I did....if for no other reason than the rehearsals give you a chance to hear yet another crack at the songs...solos and all
    For the life of me, I have never heard the of the song Food Times.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    That said, I though Page did a great job in referencing original solos, and then departing...including on Stairway and Food Times, in particular.

I agree John - I thought that the way Page referenced 2 or 3 of the moments from "classic" performances of Stairway was a neat way of embracing a song that, as a band, was clearly not the one they were most enamoured of playing (by contrast, the performances of Misty Mountain Hop, For Your Life, Trampled Underfoot & Nobody's Fault are just scintillating - fresh, exhilarating, full of brio & fun).

I said tis earlier on thread, but I'll indulge myself by saying it again - I'd heard a couple of pretty good boots of this show - but nothing prepared me for the quality of this recording - the cds are fine, but this is one of the very few concert dvds/blu-rays that I have already watched over & over - it is dynamite.

If this is their last show together - & I suspect it probably will be - then, what a glorious way to go.

(btw, John - completely OT - have you seen the single camera recording of VdGG's 2005 Brescia show? it's on youtube - it is also blistering, & Jaxon turns in a stunning performance - by chance, the guy recording the show appears to have been a Jaxon fan, & the camera spends much of its time focused on him - the way his mic picked up the sound of the band also tends to highlight the sax in the mix)

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    If this is their last show together - & I suspect it probably will be - then, what a glorious way to go.
    Yeah, I can't get over how good this concert was. There were no acoustic sets (which one would think they'd do since that's always been part of their concert). I can't say it enough, Jimmy Page (even if he might've been a little sloppy) used his guitar like a weapon of mass destruction at that concert. It was just magical. Those lucky sons o' bitches who witnessed that show live will have something to cherish forever. The other thing I really loved seeing was Jason, just having the time of his life up there. You can see/feel the emotion pouring out and the love he has for his "uncles." I swear I almost shed a tear watching him. I know I keep saying this, but damn I wish there would've been some interviews with the band. That's one thing I always look forward to when I buy a concert DVD, the interviews, and "making of" documentaries. I haven't bothered watching the whole rehearsal DVD. I watched a couple rehearsal bits but no way can I sit through the whole concert (the rehearsal) like that. I think the fact that it was a one-off is why it's so good. I couldn't imagine them touring today (even small tours like Cream did a few years ago). They'd flame out too quickly.