Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Little Feat Thread for Sean

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I just missed seeing Little Feat in 1975, when we were unintentionally a bit late arriving to a concert featuring them, Dave Mason and the Allman Brothers Band. But I saw Little Feat open for the Electric Light Orchestra in 1976. And I saw the still-rocking, post-Lowell band as headliner in 1995. I've met several people who believe Little Feat are from the South.

We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I saw them in the 00s and wow, unbelievable chops on those folks.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Lucky Man
    They came north during the Lowell era, well north as far as me, only once afaik. Siena college gymnasium, 1978, I think. Lowell was gone a year later.
    Probably less than a year.

But that show was a complete and utter gas. As much fun as any concert going experience I ever had.

Anyone slagging Willin' never saw it live. The Professor Bill Payne's piano solo was by itself worth the price of the ticket.

Ritchie Hayward was one of the most overlooked drummers of the age.

That rhythm section, Hayward, Gradney and Clayton was a force of thunderous reckoning.

Great, great band, and an example of how prog is not limited to the boundaries assigned it.
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Have you heard... Far Away Eyes by The Rolling Stones?
    Excellent example of a hipster's self-conscious, contrived attempt at the genre.

But I like it.

yeah, I know

There's a Lowell George documentary over on Amazon Prime Video. It's great!

I used to have Waitin' For Columbus on cassette, but I never really connected with that record for some reason. I'm not sure why. I know it's considered a great album, but I guess i was expecting something different. I'll have to pickup that double CD expanded edition.

I will say I always dug All That You Dream, which I first heard on the Over The Edge soundtrack (same version as Waitin' For Columbus I believe). Somewhere around here, I have a VHS tape I bought in the 90's (legit release) of their Rockpalast performance from around that time. I haven't watched it in a long time, but I recall liking that better than Waitin' For Columbus (probably because by that time I knew what to expect).

Saw the Feat on the Waiting for Columbus tour. It was a wonderful show and when I listen to the album it takes me back to that night. One of the best live albums ever at capturing a band at their best.

No one ever mentions the first album, which for a long, long time was the only one I owned. I bought it when it came out, figuring that with Roy Estrada and Lowell George in the band it would have to be something like the Mothers of Invention. Well...not quite. Not quite the funky, good-time music they became known for, either, but it's a hell of a good album. "Brides of Jesus" remains my favorite song by them.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Great, great band. There was a thread of a song you hate by a band you love, Rocket In My Pocket might be one of the worst songs ever lyrically. I used to ignore whole sides. Since going digital, I don't keep the MP3 in my library.