Thread: Glastonbury 2014 sold out...

Glastonbury 2014 sold out...

in record time without a single artist yet named.
    So its the festival that sells the tickets & not the headlining artists. Is there another tfestival in existence that can do that?

BTW, bands RUMOURED to be playing are Prince, Bowie, Fleetwood Mac & Oasis?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    in record time without a single artist yet named.
    So its the festival that sells the tickets & not the headlining artists. Is there another tfestival in existence that can do that?

BTW, bands RUMOURED to be playing are Prince, Bowie, Fleetwood Mac & Oasis?
    I heard Bowie will make his comeback; thinking others heard that too. Don't recall the festival selling out that quickly before.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Is there another festival in existence that can do that?
    If you mean in the UK, probably not, but I'd guess the old Monsters of Rock was close.

In the rest of Europe however, there are a few.
    Roskilde in Denmark for example - one of the largest in Europe, never been but I have several friends who religiously order tickets every year immediately they go on sale, w/o knowing any artists, then go over on their motorbikes.

Also Rock am Ring and Rock am Park in Germany - together one of the largest in the world - this makes Glastonbury look like a village fete

Coachella in the US, I believe.

In recent years Glastonbury always sells out on the day of release, though 87 minutes is something of a record, which probably just says the webs-sites are more geared to multiple transactions these days. What is unique I think is that to buy a ticket you have to be pre-registered, photo approved, and your ticket will come with your image printed on it, as there is no after-market and security checks will match you to your ticket, and if in doubt you will need supporting documentation to prove your identity.

I am a Glastonbury regular, but disappointingly I didn't get lucky this year, but there is a second chance when those who opt not to take up their tickets have them placed back on sale next year. It's a crap-shoot but who knows.

They never announce in advance who will be playing, and even if it is Bowie, this would not make one iota of difference, the tickets would still sell. The festival gets a huge amount of coverage on BBC and has become the place to be for the media darlings. It's a great event, but I hanker for the old days, when it was more shambolic and alternative. Would still love to be there next year though!