Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Experimental Q

"Total shipping (tax incl.): 1,51 € " -This sure this is the cost for local destination(Romania)
    SoftRecords use for international shipping the cargo express services (kind of Fedex) that's why they recommend ordering have a minimum value 50euros.
    but I have access to warehouse and approval to send some orders from individuals personally as individuals(at a cost below the price of CD). All orders will be sent in registered airmail with registration track number. Payment with PayPal.
    Aplodon you have a PM from me .

I got my brother to order it for me from mycd.ro. Looking forward to receiving it.

Just got my copy today - looking forward to hearing this properly. All I had until now were those poor quality mp3 taken from the so-called album "Amintiri despre viitor" which actually never existed. I have been an avid collector of Romanian vinyls in the "Golden Era" days before the Revolution (and I still have all Romanian Rock vinyls I've acquired over the years) - but this is one record I have never seen or encountered someone who has actually seen it...
    Anyways, it's good we have an official release to enjoy now... and btw, if you haven't got Stepan Project - Lumina yet, do get it while it's available - it's a superb album of amazing depth leading to unexpected surprises with every new spin.. a true highlight of the year!

Quote Originally Posted by aplodon View Post
    I ordered the Experimental Q CD from mycd.ro. The order confirmation on the site said:

Total products (tax incl.): 6,94 €
    Total shipping (tax incl.): 1,51 €
    Total: 8,45 €

Then I got an invoice on e-mail saying:

1 SFTR-033-2 Experimental Quintet - Atlantis 1 Cd
    Unit price 5.6 €
    Freight 14.11 €
    Subtotal 19.71 €
    Total VAT 4.73 €
    TOTAL INVOICE 24.44 €

So the price had risen with 16 Euros, which is all shipping costs.
    In total 17,50 Euros (c. $ 22) out of 24,44 (c. $ 31) is shipping costs.

This means that, out of the total price, 72 % of the cost is for shipping.

Is this normal shipping costs for Romania?
    That sounds like BS. Also is VAT due when shipping the goods overseas?

Romanian Post has this info:

bag (0-2 kg) VAT free

Standard

• Priority
    - In Europe, for each kg or fraction of a kg: 15.2 lei
    - The rest of the world, for each kg or fraction of a kg: 45.2 lei
    • Non-priority
    - for each kg or fraction of a kg: 9.2 lei

Additional services

$1=3.5 lei

It seems like they charged you for Priority Rest of World Registred mail
    Last edited by Progmatic; 12-13-2012 at 07:46 AM.

If anyone is interested in ordering something from www.mycd.ro at a lower cost ,give me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleG View Post
    If anyone is interested in ordering something from www.mycd.ro at a lower cost ,give me a PM.
    Do you mean at lower mail costs?

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    Do you mean at lower mail costs?
    Yes, plus a little lower for the price displayed on the our online store CDs.

Hm, will any of the "usual" retailers stock this one? Steve F., Ken, Greg, Record Heaven - whoever?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

So far, I just sent Greg promo with Experimental Q, Talitha Qumi and Kumm . With Record Heaven I don't believe that will be a deal .For Steve and Ken 'll write them an email if they would be interested and possibly send promo CDs.
    Last edited by GentleG; 12-13-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Which Kumm album is the best?

Only the first album "Moonsweat March" is recommended(influences from King Crimson and VdGG).After that they moved to alternative rock.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleG View Post
    For Steve and Ken 'll write them an email if they would be interested and possibly send promo CDs.
    Hey GG, any interest from Greg, Steve or Ken yet?

Quote Originally Posted by amatala View Post
    Just got my copy today - looking forward to hearing this properly.
    And the first impressions are...?

Finally Greg received 5 days ago the promo copy .I have not talked yet about that with the SoftRec owner,more details maybe next week .Next week I'll send to Steve and Ken the promo copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    And the first impressions are...?
    Well, the music is great, but the mastering is so damn poor... some tracks are so loud and over-compressed it just hurts my ears to listen to them... take "Flori" for example - it has a dynamic range (measured by the TT DR plugin) of 3... how can it get much worse than this? It's really such a pity, this could have sounded great!

Pity indeed!

Yes... I was hoping the new version to be the best one yet but...

Here are the results of the TT-DR plugin for the 3 version I have in my library:

1. New version from the Atlantis CD:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Statistics for: 05-Flori
    Number of samples: 14930496
    Duration: 5:39
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Left Right

Peak Value: -0.01 dB --- -0.01 dB
    Avg RMS: -4.20 dB --- -5.64 dB
    DR channel: 2.35 dB --- 3.53 dB

Official DR Value: DR3

As mentioned before - it doesn't get much worse than this...

2. The version I grabbed from an online lossy stream (the so called "Amintiri despre viitor" album which has been circulating for quite some time):

Statistics for: 04-Flori
    Number of samples: 14790912
    Duration: 5:35

Left Right

Peak Value: -3.13 dB --- -3.25 dB
    Avg RMS: -14.75 dB --- -15.31 dB
    DR channel: 9.18 dB --- 9.64 dB

Official DR Value: DR9

This is already incomparably better - even if it's a bootleg version...

3. The vinyl rip I made from my own copy of "Formatii Pop vol. 1":

Statistics for: 06-Flori
    Number of samples: 13654536
    Duration: 5:10

Left Right

Peak Value: -5.51 dB --- -5.00 dB
    Avg RMS: -19.50 dB --- -19.21 dB
    DR channel: 10.71 dB --- 10.84 dB

Official DR Value: DR11

Obviously the best one yet...

That being said, not all tracks are that bad - DR goes up to 11 for a couple of tracks of the Atlantis CD, but still the overall loudness gets to me each time I play the album... that's why I started fiddling with the TT-DR plugin, I wanted to be sure my ears were not playing tricks on me...

Once again, the music is great, so if loudness and dynamic compression don't bother you that much, it is worth a listen...

Holy smoke, you are hardcore, man!

I finally got my copy and got a chance to listen to it. I think that some of the songs are the old ones, recorded back in the day. Take the first one, for example, Quintet No. 2. It is the same version that is on YouTube. It clearly has the flute player, Gigi Marcovici I think is his name, that played on some of the old material. I need to play it some more to get a better impression. One big disappointment is that the long track "Amintiri despre viitor" (Memories of the future) that impressed me so much in the version that is available on YouTube, is present on the new album in a very short form.

Now you can order from Greg Walker , http://www.synphonic.8m.com/
    Experimental Q-Atlantis
    Talitha Qumi-Despre cuvinte
    Survolaj-Same
    Kumm-Moonsweat March

The album is now available at www.progstreaming.com. That and many other goodies!

For North-American people that are interested in buying the album, it is available at CD Baby! For the time being only as a physical CD, but will also be available for download within the next couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    For North-American people that are interested in buying the album, it is available at CD Baby! For the time being only as a physical CD, but will also be available for download within the next couple of days.
    well it is only listed...CD Baby says that they would put you on wait list ...availability is ?