Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hawkwind US Tour Postponed.

Stress...sound like bs to me .....stress is another word for poor ticket sales

possibly one of the most overated bands who happen to have a couple of decent releases in the 70's and early eighties ( Levitation being my favorite ).
    Their live act which I saw twice back in the early 80's had nothing going on.. they had no stage show or light show and was like seeing a novelty act way past its prime....Dave was busy playing keyboards all night and occasional rhythm guitar...They actual thought that they could hold anybodys interest past 10 minutes without having a lead guitar player..... in just a few years after the release of levitation they lost it big time......

Chicago show was moved to a bigger venue and sold out... so I really don't think it was ticket sales. In fact, I'd bet on it.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEPPELIN4EVER View Post
    possibly one of the most overated bands who happen to have a couple of decent releases in the 70's and early eighties ( Levitation being my favorite ).
    Their live act which I saw twice back in the early 80's had nothing going on.. they had no stage show or light show and was like seeing a novelty act way past its prime....Dave was busy playing keyboards all night and occasional rhythm guitar...They actual thought that they could hold anybodys interest past 10 minutes without having a lead guitar player..... in just a few years after the release of levitation they lost it big time......
    Doesn't sound like the band I saw three times in the 80's. They were great every time. Opinions vary.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Mr. Turner's Oakland show has been, ahem, rechristened.
    http://www.uptownnightclub.com/event...pecial-guests/

Personally I am very disappointed that Nik chose to do this (again). He's a nice fella and his music is every bit as valid as Hawkwind's - but he's not in the band - no matter how the name was derived or what songs wrote when he was in the band. It appears to be an effort to exploit the name to boost attendance at his gigs. Understandable, but still not right.

Now whether or not the Hawkwind cancellation is genuinely due to stress brought on by this whole shitstorm, we cannot know, but it seems quite likely, and unless we've any evidence to suggest otherwise, it seems disingenuous to call Dave Brock a liar.

The stress of all this is what forced Dave to cancel the Hawkwind tour. Nik is playing a small bar,The Shanty in my ex-hometown of Eureka,Ca. on Wed. night. I don't think anyone there but a few Hawkwind fans from the 70's will even know who he is. I doubt very much he will pack the house. The Shanty is in for one helluva shock. I have always been loyal to Dave. I never purchased anything from Nik's fraudulent band.

Btw, I didn't,because I couldn't read Nik's all caps explanation,that writing is impossible for me to read.

^ too true, that all CAPS nonsense is getting old.

It's becoming quite obvious that the only reason for Turner to do any of this Hawkwind-name nonsense is to generate hype in the hopes of ticket sales. As much as I liked his album and am looking forward to seeing him in two weeks, I'm not a Turner-apologist. His got a bolt-on band that wrote the music, and while it might be in the style of UA Hawkwind, it ain't Hawkwind.

Regarding Brock's health, we have some friends in Seaton that tipped us off that it might be an issue a few weeks back. I have no reason to think it disingenuous, and frankly, talk of poor ticket sales on Hawkwind's part is just nonsense. Ask around, promoter's were quite happy...

By the way... I had the pleasure of seeing this earlier in the year...

I guess for hawkwind when you sell about 200 tickets to fill a bar in 2013 its a sucessful gig.

I guess for hawkwind when you sell about 200 tickets to fill a bar in 2013 its a sucessful gig.

Ignorant comment. I thought I could pick up tix for their Chicago show two weeks ago, but to my dismay saw that the concert was sold out, and it was a 700+ capacity venue. I'll make sure to jump on tix a bit earlier if they come back next year.

I'll go see whichever Hawkwind has a topless space-dancer.

I'll go see whichever Hawkwind has a topless space-dancer.

BTW, someone needs to tell Ticketmaster. They're still selling tickets for next week's Los Angeles show (and have made no refunds or announcements to existing ticketholders).

If the shows were all sold out why would Dave even care about what Nik is doing....no reaason to stress out.... Hawkwind fans will know who is who and which version is touring a bar near you...Ticket sales still I believe or lack of profit is the reason he snot coming... Chicago and possibly a few larger cities where they might sell some tickets cannot create enough income for the band to tour the USA.....

It's a medical stress issues, suddenly you're an expert on Dave Brock's health? You seem to have a bug up your ass about this.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    It's a medical stress issues, suddenly you're an expert on Dave Brock's health? You seem to have a bug up your ass about this.
    Agreed, You know nothing other than the fact you do not like Hawkwind! STFU

Stress...sound like bs to me .....stress is another word for poor ticket sales
    Dude, your mom is calling....Your Hot Pockets are ready.....Go be a douche somewhere else.....

^^^ Too funny but spot on!

I found out info from a reliable source a
    friend who works at the US Embassy, that one of the
    members of Hawkwind ( Dave Brock ) US work visa was denied. I noticed from various websites (http://goo.gl/7J3Fs) that their is speculation that is the reason that he canceled the tour. Which now seems to be confirmed. PEOPLE DO THE MATH! Why are the UK dates not canceled? Fans, people & reporters need to look up the real story? The truth will soon be revealed.

Now that is an interesting thought
    Ian

Why would he not tell the truth then, maybe ..... FEAR
    What is up with the visa thing? Maybe he is an Urban guerilla
    Last edited by HONDO; 10-12-2013 at 03:56 AM.

I talked to Dave and Kris on the phone last Saturday. It's a health issue. Concert dates have been rescheduled for March, so Visa issues sound imaginary.

As I've previously posted, remember that Lemmy got stranded in Germany for 3 months because of health issues.

That is what I thought. No reason to lie about a health issue. If it were a Visa thing then they would have said so.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    A sure bet. He's trying to take over the Hawkwind name for ages now.

The band is named after his "winds" anyway, so he might have an Argument there.
    Nik has said in his trademark application he is not aware of any act in the USa or that will be in the USA doing business under that name, which is a lie. He not only knows of it-he was IN it.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ang View Post
    I found out info from a reliable source a
    friend who works at the US Embassy, that one of the
    members of Hawkwind ( Dave Brock ) US work visa was denied. I noticed from various websites (http://goo.gl/7J3Fs) that their is speculation that is the reason that he canceled the tour. Which now seems to be confirmed. PEOPLE DO THE MATH! Why are the UK dates not canceled? Fans, people & reporters need to look up the real story? The truth will soon be revealed.
    "hello-department of immigration and whatever touring european bands is called? i need to know if dave brock's visa was denied again. well....i deliver pizza..."

seriously, you think a fan can just call up and get info?
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"