Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 70s art rock on OGWT

70s art rock on OGWT

Who else loved the Old Grey Whistle Test in the 70s, and all the great old presenters like Bob Harris?

Lets see your favourite art rock clips then.

Kicking off with Roxy Music in 72, who Bob Harris didn't like at all as people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpSJVlDSlFY

Can in 75

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=390Nz5Gm8Hw

Howe & Squire in 75. The Howe piece introudced by Bob in one of his famous cardies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA_wEnOVWcQ

I know I've seen footage of Camel from Old Grey Whistle Test, where they do some material from The Snow Goose, with orchestral musicians in one bit.

And there's footage of Judas Priest doing I think Dreamer Deceiver as well as Rocka Rolla, back when Rob was decidedly more androgynous in his stage appearance.

How cool was Cope hey? Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Brilliant, one of my top 5 fav bands of the period, some great singles. Only regret never seeing them live.

This is one of the best OGWT performances ever:

Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Alice Cooper's band were very tight in the old days:

Yet Budgie and Alice Cooper aren't exactly art rock are they?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Yet Budgie and Alice Cooper aren't exactly art rock are they?
    I've never been sure what constitutes art rock. I just saw OGWT and went for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    I've never been sure what constitutes art rock. I just saw OGWT and went for it!
    No worries mate, I enjoyed both clips anyway.

Art rock is imo a better term than prog rock for that area that encompasses everything from Roxy Music, Alan Parsons, Mike Oldfield to Magazine, The Stranglers, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Kate Bush, Wire, XTC, Human League and so on. Probably symphonic rock + new wave + electronica.

Many wonderful links in this thread! Thanks for starting it PG!

So it sounds like OGWT was performed live, unlike most TV musical shows?

Yes, always, unlike Top of the Pops which was always mimed.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Yes, always, unlike Top of the Pops which was always mimed.
    Not quite always. The two times Iron Maiden were on, they performed live (though I think they were upset with the way they ended up sounding that they vowed to never do TOTP again after the second appearance). And after the Milli Vanilli scandal, EVERYONE was forced to perform live, which apparently pissed of the Stock Atkien Waterman lot.

Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Sorry, the whole show doesn't seem to be in one piece at youtube:

There were some mimed performances on Whistle Test, but only in the very early days. The show soon developed a strictly live policy afterwards.
    Eg Alice Cooper, Roxy Music and New York Dolls did not play live on their earliest appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckie View Post
    There were some mimed performances on Whistle Test, but only in the very early days. The show soon developed a strictly live policy afterwards.
    Eg Alice Cooper, Roxy Music and New York Dolls did not play live on their earliest appearances.
    Of the two Roxy performances I've seen, "Do The Strand" is obviously mimed because no-one's playing the prominent piano riff! At one point Ferry turns to a keyboard and starts throwing shapes to what sounds like Eno's synth break. The "Ladytron" performance I think is different from the recorded version - Manzanera's guitar sounds diferent at least.

Sorry to resurrect such an ancient thread. However I think I should highlight this YouTube channel which has full episodes of OGWT and various other performances. I mentioned the Yes/QPR one the other day but now Druid and Utopia have gone up, plus lots of other things are here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMK...dIVRRSg/videos

^ Mucho thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Sorry to resurrect such an ancient thread. However I think I should highlight this YouTube channel which has full episodes of OGWT and various other performances. I mentioned the Yes/QPR one the other day but now Druid and Utopia have gone up, plus lots of other things are here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMK...dIVRRSg/videos
    thanks... Hours of videos

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    This is one of the best OGWT performances ever:
    You must've copied the wrong link, cos that one is boring as hell compared to this one

Even Emo was still seething about this one when going into his grave
    Last edited by Trane; 01-27-2019 at 04:06 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Bear in mind with OGWT, there is a certain amount of less-than-thrilling soft rock/singer-songwriter stuff. The DVDs generally skirted around that. However they also tended not to include the valuable live footage from venues like the Rainbow or the Marquee Club which you see in the full episodes.

One episode worth watching is the one with Golden Earring. I'd read about this before and indeed, Bob Harris displays a blatant disregard for the band. What was that about?