Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Beardfish anyone?

Interesting to see (for once) the same areas of SIT2 criticized that also are my least favorite. Usually I'm reading posts of people pointing out those exact areas as their favorite parts....
    <sig out of order>

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    I despise cookie monster vocals.

Yet the way these guys use it, sparingly and with moderation, is just enough to spice things up for me.

"Do you believe in alchemy?"

Hell yeah, I do. Beardfish has become the first band where I can appreciate a few CMV sprinkles on my cereal.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

I agree that Mammoth is probably their best release, or at least their most consistent. It may lack the highs of previous releases but I can listen to it from beginning to end without cringing. It’s also less “proggy prog” than previous albums, for what that’s worth. I guess they’re finally finding their own voice. Though I think Rikard’s singing voice was far better on the SIT albums. (I still have not heard The Void)

On a related note: Fright Pig. Are they really Beardfish (or at least another Rikard project) under an assumed name? Because they sure sound like it to me!

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
    o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:“Benchmark”-Godsticks/The Envisage Conundrum

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I agree that Mammoth is probably their best release, or at least their most consistent. It may lack the highs of previous releases but I can listen to it from beginning to end without cringing.
    Again, my thoughts exactly. It looks like we're on the same page regarding Beardfish!
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm finally digging into the Beardfish boxed set. I had a few of their albums already but hadn't given any a decent listen. Anyway, really enjoying the two SIT albums. Excellent stuff with many overt references to other bands, but a satisfying melange itself.

Love this band - got heavily into them this summer - I bought this same set. Sane Day and Comfortzone are must haves also. Rikard is a great talent.

I have Sane Day somewhere - I have a feeling that album isn't the best starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I have Sane Day somewhere - I have a feeling that album isn't the best starting point.
    Its a killer killer album, one of their best.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I'm sure I'll like it on next listen, but as I recall it was a bit heavy on the Zappa-esque humor for my taste. For a first exposure to the band for me. Obviously your mileage varies

I would agree. “Sane Day” is definitely one of my favorites from them as well.

'the Sane day' and 'Destined Solitaire' are my favorites.

I'm sure I'll like it on next listen, but as I recall it was a bit heavy on the Zappa-esque humor for my taste. For a first exposure to the band for me. Obviously your mileage varies
    That's understandable, I think. My introduction to Beardfish was the first SiT album, right around the time it came out. Then I got SiT 2, and then not long after that I went back and got Sane Day, which blew me away really -- but I had already been eased into that style by then.

Sane Day is just brimming with great musical ideas and melodies, interesting chords and key changes, and Rikard's talents on the keyboards are brilliantly displayed throughout. May not win any awards for originality, but it should win some for sheer exuberance/enthusiasm/affection.

You should revisit The Sane Day Jed - I hear less FZ on this album as compared to other ones for sure. Many of these tunes have absolutely nothing to do with any Zappa - humor or otherwise.

Case in point (and an utterly phenomenal tune to my ears):

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

Sane Day is just brimming with great musical ideas and melodies, interesting chords and key changes, and Rikard's talents on the keyboards are brilliantly displayed throughout. May not win any awards for originality, but it should win some for sheer exuberance/enthusiasm/affection.
    What he said....although I think a large portion of this album is quite original

Just looked at the track listing for Sane Day. I think it was the whole Gooberville thing that put me off, really. But Zappa's dumb humor put me off at first too, then I got used to it later.

Give it a re-spin man.

Does Humor belong in music? Absolutely.

Give it a re-spin man.

Does Humor belong in music? Absolutely.
    I used to hang with this hot Italian girl in High School who was really into Zappa, I can remember listening to records at her mom's house usually with red eyes. She was one of the crew who went with me to my first concert in Toronto to see Aerosmith back in the seventies. I have thought many times that she would probably like Beardfish.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Fantastic band!! Does anyone know where I can score a copy of "Sane Day"? Sumbitch seems to be put of print.

The new Gungfly album is on the horizon. Here be a teaser:

I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    The new Gungfly album is on the horizon.
    Loved the first, was not too crazy about the second. Lets see how this one turns out.

Pre-order up at Rikard's website:
    http://www.rikardsjoblom.com

From his FB page:
    "Today is a good day. If you want to pre-order On Her Journey To The Sun by Rikard Sjöblom's Gungfly FROM Rikard Sjöblom's Gungfly then look no further! Just visit www.rikardsjoblom.com and scroll to the bottom of the page, pick what you want and place your order!

"There's CD and 180 gram double vinyl and different options depending on where you live, because shipping is included in the price.

"The album is released may 19th so it won't ship until may but if you already know that you want to buy the album from here then your business at this stage helps a lot!"
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    'the Sane day' and 'Destined Solitaire' are my favorites.
    Guess I missed this thread a couple of times...........but these are my favorites by them as well. Though I like them all to varying extents.

As to Gungfly, I have never heard any of it. Guess I better get on that since Beardfish is no more.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Pre-order up at Rikard's website:
    http://www.rikardsjoblom.com

From his FB page:
    "Today is a good day. If you want to pre-order On Her Journey To The Sun by Rikard Sjöblom's Gungfly FROM Rikard Sjöblom's Gungfly then look no further! Just visit www.rikardsjoblom.com and scroll to the bottom of the page, pick what you want and place your order!

"There's CD and 180 gram double vinyl and different options depending on where you live, because shipping is included in the price.

"The album is released may 19th so it won't ship until may but if you already know that you want to buy the album from here then your business at this stage helps a lot!"
    Nice! I really like Rikard, so I'd like to pre-order from him. The cost for the vinyl edition is a bit steep for me where I live, so I may just spring for the CD package at this point.

Glad to see he's still carrying on with his music. He's far too big a talent to remain still for very long.

My understanding is that Gungfly was originally a vehicle for Rikard's more pop material which didn't fit the Beardfish style. Now that Beardfish has disbanded, this new Gungfly album should be much more progressive. With David Zackrisson on board it will still be 50% of Beardfish.

Such a killer tune. Fun too.