Thread: Beardfish anyone?

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this tune.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this tune.
    Me too, man!!!

Such a great one -- and that outro is just killer. I'm gonna play it right now.

....and its my fav, along with Sane Day! Shows both our tastes suck
    LOL! I think it actually shows that ALL the Beardfish albums are great enough that people's favorites are all over the place

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    LOL! I think it actually shows that ALL the Beardfish albums are great enough that people's favorites are all over the place
    This is absolutely the truth

Back on the 'Beard. Love this band.

I did an all day shuffle the other day at work. It was a good decision.

The B’Fish (clearly the superior cool guyz abbreviation, Frank; you better get on the bus) is indeed mighty.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I love 'em too.

Just recently I had On Her Journey To The Sun by Gungfly in my car on repeat for days. That one has grown on me a lot. It's a little different from Rikard's work with the Beardedfish, but unmistakably carries the same DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I did an all day shuffle the other day at work. It was a good decision.

The B’Fish (clearly the superior cool guyz abbreviation, Frank; you better get on the bus) is indeed mighty.
    The B'Fish -- I like it!

I'm gonna queue up some of their music today, thanks to you guys.

The Beard came up in the car recently on a long drive. Man did I enjoy that stuff (the wife did not).

Superb driving music.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I love 'em too.

Just recently I had On Her Journey To The Sun by Gungfly in my car on repeat for days. That one has grown on me a lot. It's a little different from Rikard's work with the Beardedfish, but unmistakably carries the same DNA.
    Probably a reasonable time/place to mention that Gungfly will be playing in NJ next saturday (6/15) as part of the NJ Proghouse 20th Anniversary. Not aware of any other dates in the US (but if there are i'm sure someone will correct me).

The B’Fish (clearly the superior cool guyz abbreviation, Frank; you better get on the bus)
    Duly noted and tattooed on my arse so i won't forget it - danke.

Some of Rikard's songwriting/composing just blows my mind its so good....tunes like "They Whisper", "Ludvig and Sverker", and "Note" (for example) from The Void are all just so great - the guy has such a natural knack for composing great melodies/harmonic progressions that seems to be effortless. Even though I still prefer some of the earlier BF, there are gems throughout.

^I wish The Void sounded better. Very brittle guitar sound.

“Note” is a great tune. Probably my favorite B’Fish song.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

^I wish The Void sounded better. Very brittle guitar sound.

I think its a very good recording overall - has some nice balls. I do know what your talking about - some of the guitar parts, especially the clean tones are a bit bright - there definitely are teeth in those tracks. Overall though I think its mastered well and sounds good. I think their best sounding albums are Traffic Two and possibly Destined - they had a very organic thing going on back then but the recording and mastering was great. the Sane Day and Traffic One sound really good too, just a bit thinner on the bottom end compared to those others I mentioned. Man this band was so horrible.

PS - I am trying to dig the first album....you know the crazy Swedish title. Its really good, but The Sane Day that followed just seems leagues above in just about every way. Anybody here really really dig that debut album?

Oh yeah - "Note" is fucking phenomenal....such a well crafted tune. Amazingly strong sections, how it all hangs together is lovely, and the solo piano section and afterwards is just magical.

PS - I am trying to dig the first album....you know the crazy Swedish title. Its really good, but The Sane Day that followed just seems leagues above in just about every way. Anybody here really really dig that debut album?
    I feel about the same. I like the first album, but think "The Sane Day" was a big leap forward for them.

I like it, but I don’t love it. It’s got moments of brilliance, but like has already been stated by you and others, The Sane Day was just such a leap forward.

The track “In Your Room” is absolutely killer though. Is that a bonus track? I can’t remember... is it on your copy, Frank?

Btw, Frank, I’m still over the (blue) moon that you like this band so much. After having lived with their music for the past 10 years or so, it makes me happy to see folks still discovering them and enjoying their catalog. There’s a lot to love.

On the first album, it was the last one I picked up (even after Comfort Zone). I like it, but it does have that "band finding their feet" kind of feel to it IMO. It's still an impressive first effort though, but probably my least favorite.

As to Gungfly, I would definitely recommend the latest, Friendship to people on this thread. It's the most "Beardfishy" I've heard from Rickard since that great band broke up, and I think it blows away the previous album, On Her Journey To The Sun (which was still quite good, of course).

Anyway, I'm totally psyched that I get to see Gungfly in New Jersey this weekend! Can not wait. I actually got to see Beardfish at the same place (NJ Proghouse reunion) several years ago, so it will be very cool to see Rikard perform again!

The first album was on heavy rotation for a while when I first got it, but I haven't revisited in quite some time. There are two are three great tunes on it though, IMO.

I still have problems with the sound of the heavier tunes on The Void. It's not just the guitars but also the drums that I personally don't care for.

The last couple Gungfly albums are quite different from Beardfish. Something about them is more subtle and/or doesn't hit you over the head quite like Beardfish did. But the tunes on both Journey and Friendship still grow on me every time I hear them. Rikard has some sort of secret sauce.

For some reason I wasn't in the right frame of mind when Comfort Zone came out. I didn't give it much attention and kind of forgot about it. I gave it a spin about a month ago and it was great - like I was the only person in the world who was getting a new Beardfish release, lol.
    <sig out of order>

Btw, Frank, I’m still over the (blue) moon that you like this band so much. After having lived with their music for the past 10 years or so, it makes me happy to see folks still discovering them and enjoying their catalog. There’s a lot to love.
    Totally love this band. This is as good as Canterbury, Cardiacs (almost!), some Zappa, etc At his best for me, Rikard is a phenomenal composer and the synergy within this band was special, as I have started to see since getting into this band. Hansen is a such a killer bass player with an unreal sound and feel, he is really flippin phenomenal. The Sane Day and Traffic One have become on the list of fav albums of all time - yes I really feel that way. Lots of other amazing shit but those sit at the top for Frankie boy (at least so far). Also really love "The Note", "Without Saying Anything". "Abigail's Question", "Hold On", etc the list could go on and on.

Yeah man. Digging "Coup de Grace" right now - fantastic tune.

Yeah man. Digging "Coup de Grace" right now - fantastic tune.
    My man, that’s a great one. Love the accordion too, it gives the song a real European feel. Like something you might hear at a sidewalk cafe in Paris or something.

My man, that’s a great one. Love the accordion too, it gives the song a real European feel. Like something you might hear at a sidewalk cafe in Paris or something.
    Absolutely. Where this band goes over these albums is so crazy and so beautiful.

Sean Tonar invited me to co-interview Rikard today at 2PM US Eastern . I am looking forward to talking with one of my musical heroes - I have no qualms about my status as a huge fanboy/admirer, and I hold an immense amount of respect for his musical legacy thus far. I am looking forward to the chat! I have no idea if it is going to be broadcast "live" or not...Sean? I'll try not to be a total idiot

Anyway - if you have a question for Rikard regarding anything that he has done or currently doing, shoot it here.....Tack!

Got Beardfish? Read on! Well, listen...

Thanks to Frank (Chalkpie) for guest hosting! It was a hoot!