Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Guapo

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    James had to leave, regrettably, due to his workload with Thurston Moore.
    I wondered if that might be the case. I know you've all got multiple projects to juggle, but Thurston always seems to be playing somewhere all over the globe so I'd imagine that's about a full-time gig right now.

Any hope of US dates for Guapo?

Quote Originally Posted by frippster View Post

Any hope of US dates for Guapo?
    I'll answer for Kavus, since I hate the idea that he has to be the 'bad guy', since wearing that hat is part of my job, apparently.

Guapo aren't just going to come over to play US gigs and lose money. They would have to get a festival or well paying gig or something like that that they could tie a small tour onto.

Who is the festival or well paying gig that will make this happen?

<crickets>
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I'll answer for Kavus, since I hate the idea that he has to be the 'bad guy', since wearing that hat is part of my job, apparently.

Guapo aren't just going to come over to play US gigs and lose money. They would have to get a festival or well paying gig or something like that that they could tie a small tour onto.

Who is the festival or well paying gig that will make this happen?

<crickets>
    What: Guapofest 2015

Who: Guapo (and bands that rhyme with Guapo)

Where: Steve F's backyard

When: All summer long 9 AM - 1 AM (closed on Tuesdays)

Why: You get to see Kavus wear a speedo and "C.H.I.P.S." styled sunglasses

Yeah, that's what I figured on all fronts.

P.S. You're still an OK guy in my book, Steve.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I always figure with these types of bands its better for me to go to them. That's why Jack O The Clock playing ProgDay is such a a hugely pleasant surprise for me. Guapo seem a semi-regular at RIO so hopefully they'll get a spot in the next few years & give me another chance to see them.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I'll send you a demo. Everyone who has heard my stuff has declared it a Floppo.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I am constantly asked about volume issues and my answer is always the same its not the soundman who sets the overall volume
    The crucial facto is the stage sound which the soundman has little to no control over - that is the starting point
    Sometimes in the midst of a loud band's concert I demonstrate that by cutting by more then 50% and show just how loud the amps are turned and drums are hit...
    It seems that for some the volume provides a sense of security or power and for some its an aestictc
    I once mixed for Acid Mother's and asked Makoto if it would be possible to tone down his amp a bit - hi looked me in the eye with a strong stare of a samurai and his answer was "IMPOSSIBLE"
    Maybe its the Japanese revenge over the white man :LOL
    their ear anatomy might actually be different...

Some do always seem to want ear splitting volume... Todd Rungren comes to mind. ALWAYS far too loud, imho (and i'm a fan). It's too bad because you don't hear the music really. I'd rather hear it than "feel" it, if you know what i mean. That said - Guapo is quite stunning musically. Thankfully, you can also hear them on their excellent recordings at controlled volumes

The live footage i've seen, though, has been quite amazing. Intensity to spare

^ ^ ^ ^

this is my theme song for the above thoughts:
    Alex Redfern... Marvelous. I love these guys. Thanks Steve
    Last edited by Polypet; 06-25-2015 at 10:37 AM.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    ROCK GROUP PLAYS LOUD SHOCKER.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I always figure with these types of bands its better for me to go to them. That's why Jack O The Clock playing ProgDay is such a a hugely pleasant surprise for me. Guapo seem a semi-regular at RIO so hopefully they'll get a spot in the next few years & give me another chance to see them.
    Can someone lend me the money to fly to Sweden? I wanna see Mats/Morgan Band!!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    What: Guapofest 2015

Where: Steve F's backyard

When: All summer long 9 AM - 1 AM (closed on Tuesdays)

Why: You get to see Kavus wear a speedo and "C.H.I.P.S." styled sunglasses

Guapofest? Steve's backyard? The best place to see music in Maryland, i think.

Kavus in a speedo AND sunglasses???

I'm.... SO.... there.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Can someone lend me the money to fly to Sweden? I wanna see Mats/Morgan Band!!
    I'm seeing them at RIO this year, festival has a fantastic line up
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I'll send you a demo. Everyone who has heard my stuff has declared it a Floppo.
    Well, I have a solo act.....I could open for them. I call myself "Fappo."