Thread: Sea of Tranquility is looking for writers

Sea of Tranquility is looking for writers

Hi All,

We are currently looking for people who have an interest in writing CD reviews, mostly for all forms of heavy metal & hard rock, but also prog as well. While a little experience is always helpful, it's not mandatory. Some of the things I am looking for:

Someone who really LOVES the music
    Someone who can possibly review at least 5 CDs a month
    Someone who can be objective and open to multiple styles/genres
    The ability to review from mostly digital download promos
    The ability to listen to a new release a few times and form a review/opinion, and not need months to listen to something to be able to review it
    Someone who really wants to do this for the love of the music and to support the bands/artists

Basically, we get in way more new releases than we have writers to cover it all, and while there is no way that we can cover it all, it's become really hard to keep good writers in the last few years, and even concentrating on the more important labels it's been a struggle to stay on top of things. As this is an unpaid gig, you really have to love doing this. So...

If you don't feel you have the time, this isn't for you
    If you have or are getting set to start a family, this probably isn't the right thing to take on
    If you already write for a few sites/publications, one more might be too much for you
    If you are an active musician and play & record regularly, it's probably not a good idea to add this to your schedule

If I sound like I'm being picky, it's because over the last few years, I've added a good amount of new writers who have promised the world, and before long other things came up in their lives and they disappeared on me with barely a trace. I totally get it-life is more important than CD reviews, which is why I ask, if you don't think in 6-12 months from now you can still do this, then it's probably best you don't take that first step.

So, if you love all forms of metal and prog, feel you can listen to a lot of new releases and quickly form opinions on them, I want to talk to you. New release promos come in digital download format (most are watermarked so they are for your eyes only-no illegal posting/sharing) so they can be downloaded to your PC and added to your ipod or mp3 player.

Anyone interested please email me at peter.pardo@gmail.com

Thanks!

This can be a VERY rewarding activity in many ways.

I'd urge everyone to consider it carefully - but I agree with Pete's caveats. You need to be sure...
    Regards,

Duncan

Good luck Pete! Sometimes I miss it but most times I don't. I really do not have the time to dedicate to this anymore...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Thanks Yves! Yes, it's something you really have to have that little bit of extra time set aside to do, and be consistent with it. Most of all it's the love of the music-and discovering PLENTY of new stuff.

I did some writing for a site for awhile (which went defunct, which was kind of depressing). I really enjoyed it but I put a lot into it and don't know if I could do that again. My least favorite part of it was doing the new releases (because I was rarely enthusiastic about many of the promos that were sent my way), and it seems like that that's what they mostly want people to do.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    sorry, peter
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

I did some reviews for the old site, but my the only metal I'm knowledgeable about is prog-metal and after that my forte would be folk.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    sorry, peter
    I'm sorry you're sorry.

You guys are sorry, that's for sure!

I took Pete up on his offer. It's been fun, but the man is such a stern task master. Man, did you know you actually have to listen to the music? Who'd a thought?

No, I am enjoying it. And the reviews get posted very quickly, to boot. I am getting an education in deathcore, too!
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I'm sorry you're sorry.
    I'm sorry you're sorry i'm sorry

I did actually do an interview for Peter though. It was originally for the now-defunct Whores of Chaos site, but I had a fall out with Scarlet (let's just say I hate being accused of things I have no skill for). As it was, Peter took it and I think it was a great interview...

Who'dya interview?

Rune Eriksen of the then active Ava Inferi

Cool!

May I interrupt this thread just long enough to say that SoT is an awesome site

Dana-Rune was the easiest person to ever interview by email. He actually edited the interview before I sent it to SoT, though, but he was very cool about it. I regret I could not get Ava Inferi to play at a festival here before he and Carmen decided to end the band.

That is very cool, indeed. And of course the end of Ai was sort of sad.

I only ever interviewed one musician, but it was Christian Vander, and it was actually done by mail in 1988. I have to say, though, that he gave detailed and fair answers to my questions (and Stella also chimed in), for an article that was published in Option magazine way back in 1988. Man, 25 years ago!