Thread: David Gilmour - Promo Film 1978

David Gilmour - Promo Film 1978

DVD...PLZ....

Wow! Thanx for posting! Never saw this footage!

Why are so many YouTube vids so far out of synch???

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I wish David Gilmour was my brother, instead of my real brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Why are so many YouTube vids so far out of synch???
    It's in synch for me.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 10-02-2013 at 08:06 PM.

I have the VHS release of the tour that supported his second solo album. The bass player & drummer in this video were on his 1st album. I bet if Gilmour dressed these two videos in a proper DVD format he could sell quite a few units & give a sizeable gift to a charity of his choosing. It's almost "tis the season", you know...
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I have the VHS release of the tour that supported his second solo album. The bass player & drummer in this video were on his 1st album. I bet if Gilmour dressed these two videos in a proper DVD format he could sell quite a few units & give a sizeable gift to a charity of his choosing. It's almost "tis the season", you know...
    The drummer and bassist on his first solo album were Willie Wilson and Rick Wills, respectively. If remember correctly, the three of them had a power trio in the late 60's, just prior to Dave being asked to join Pink Floyd. Later, in the 80's, Rick Wills played with Foreigner, and Willie Wilson was the "Surrogate Band" drummer for The Wall concerts in 80 and 81.

The rhythm section on the About Face tour was Mickey Feat on bass and Chris Slade on drums.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurm View Post
    Wow! Thanx for posting! Never saw this footage!
    Neither have I

Who's playing in the band here? They never toured for that album, right?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

There's a photo of that power trio of Gilmour-Wills-Wilson taken sometime in the 60's in the album sleeve of the 1st solo CD. I thought it was agreat idea to "re-form the old band" & put out an album.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

WOW....I'll HAVE to watch this at lunchtime today.

Cool.

Yeah, DVD please.

.1s off maybe .2s out of sync. Not too bad on my end.

Is that Ian McLagan on the organ?

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Neither have I

Who's playing in the band here? They never toured for that album, right?
    Nope, Gilmour's first solo tour was 84. The band here is Willie Wilson on drums, Rick Wills on bass, Dave's brother Mark on rhythm guitar, and yeah, that looks like Ian McLagan playing organ. Not sure who the back up singers are.

BTW, I think they're not actually playing live. During There's No Way Out Of Here, you've got that same sound playing the melody line (which I think Gilmour said was a guitar doubled by a harmonica, though nobody onstage seems to be playing the harmonica part) and there are harmony guitars on So Far Away, so I think this is just a lip synched thing.

Oh and this isn't the full promo film, because they also filmed a clip for Mihalis, which isn't here.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 10-03-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Looked to me like they were playing/singing, but then did some overdubs afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    Looked to me like they were playing/singing, but then did some overdubs afterwards.
    Yeah, it's REALLY hard to tell! I think it looks 95% live. Gilmour has some backing vocals that must have been overdubbed. Some keyboards sound like they did on the album, but doesn't look like what he's playing on the organ. Could the harmonica in the opening track have been synched to Dave's guitar back in the 70's before MIDI? And could the guitar doubling have been a pedal effect...it does look like all the soloing is what he's actually playing live. Not sure about the backup singers though, it sounds exactly like the studio album.

Anyway, a shame they didn't tour this at the time. I love the debut album. I got to see the '84 tour -- my second concert ever!

Anyone know what Gilmour is up to these days? It's already been forever since his 3rd solo album.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    Could the harmonica in the opening track have been synched to Dave's guitar back in the 70's before MIDI? And could the guitar doubling have been a pedal effect...it does look like all the soloing is what he's actually playing live. Not sure about the backup singers though, it sounds exactly like the studio album.
    Well, he could theoretically be playing along to a tape of the harmonica. They could be playing along to a click track on There's No Way Out Of Here, which would keep them in synch with the tape, if that's what they're doing. Or the harmonica could have been overdubbed.

The guitar harmonies on So Far Away (I assume that's what you're talking about when you say "guitar doubling") aren't a pedal. If it were a Harmonizer or some other pitch transposer, you'd be able to tell. It was only a few years ago that I finally heard a guitarist using a pitch transposer effect that actually sounded like two guitarists playing in harmony. On So Far Away, that's definitely multiple guitars we're hearing doing the harmonies.

Gilmour was adept at recreating his studio solos onstage by 1978, so it would have been nothing for him to learn whatever he played on the records, so that he could mime them for a promotional film.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 10-06-2013 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Is that Ian McLagan on the organ?
    Yep, definitely him.