Thread: Tangerine Dream - Phaedra(Which to buy)

Tangerine Dream - Phaedra(Which to buy)

The '92 Virgin or the '96 Remaster.....any thoughts...

I have the virgin vinyl release. I don't know about the remastered version. But if I didn't have either I think I would opt for the remastered no? I don't understand all this remastered remixed reconstituted re everything to tell you the truth. I just
    Like that era of TD, and I recall really liking the album, I haven't spun it in quite a while.
    Hope you dive in and dig the album whichever one you end up getting!

Should be experienced on vinyl. Just my thought.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The '96 versions don't sound bad at all and are probably more easily available/cheaper than the '92 versions. Just stay away from the re-recorded version from 5-10 years ago.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

The original Virgin sounds great to me. Last I knew it was back in print.

A look on Amazon seems to indicate that is still the case.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    The '96 versions don't sound bad at all and are probably more easily available/cheaper than the '92 versions. Just stay away from the re-recorded version from 5-10 years ago.

Shirley you mean remastered?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

There's no substantive difference between the two digital versions. The later remaster was so similar to the earlier release I found it difficult to believe it had been remastered.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Holy crap.

In post 5, I recommended getting the Virgin Years set. This contains Phaedra thru Cyclone; all the albums from TD (from the period when they were arguably in their prime) that I paid $13.46 for when it first came out. Now it's $85.32 for a physical copy.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Just stay away from the re-recorded version from 5-10 years ago.
    I've never heard the re-recorded Phaedra but the re-recorded Hyperborea is so sterile and depressing it's unbearable. I can only imagine how Froese must have sucked the life out of the original Phaedra.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarr73729 View Post
    There's no substantive difference between the two digital versions. The later remaster was so similar to the earlier release I found it difficult to believe it had been remastered.
    the 95 definitive edition has the indexing wrong!
    The voices at the end of first track was at the beginning of track two (Mysterious semblance ....)
    and there was some minor errors in the booklet regarding info and so (as usual when they do these things)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I've never heard the re-recorded Phaedra but the re-recorded Hyperborea is so sterile and depressing it's unbearable. I can only imagine how Froese must have sucked the life out of the original Phaedra.
    yes, the re-recording he has been doing is awful
    stupid mistake
    but I guess it was his way to get i out there,
    as he dont own the music

Quote Originally Posted by olivetti View Post
    the 95 definitive edition has the indexing wrong!
    The voices at the end of first track was at the beginning of track two (Mysterious semblance ....)
    I don't mind that at as I usually listen to these albums as a whole.