Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rush - Caress of Steel - first listen!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Anyone in particular you would kill?
    Ummm........I'm not too fond of Arianna Grande.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Ummm........I'm not too fond of Arianna Grande.
    #doit

Hmmm...Caress is my fav album out of the first four Rush studio rekkids...I even slightly prefer it to 2112 (or dig both about the same) which I know is an odd choice, but then again I'm odd.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    I like "Lamneth" better than "2112."
    Me too. "Panacea", "No One at the Bridge", and "Bacchus Plateau" are some of the best songwriting they'd done til then, and are as good or better than most of what's on 2112 IMO. Maybe they should have developed those into standalone songs and not shoehorned them into a side-long concept thing.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I greatly prefer 2112. Maybe sentimental, as this was my first Rush concert.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

I love Caress of Steel, all of it. Originally it came out here in the UK as part of the triple LP Archives and then a year or two later the first three were released in their own right so I was able to get the nice gatefold which I still have to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Hmmm...Caress is my fav album out of the first four Rush studio rekkids...I even slightly prefer it to 2112 (or dig both about the same) which I know is an odd choice, but then again I'm odd.
    Mine too. Or 2112 depending on what day it is.

Caress of Steel was my first Rush LP. I've always enjoyed its dark, brooding atmosphere. 2112 is fine, but really never clicked to me. Fly by Night is easily my favorite from their early albums.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I’m surprised by how many people never came to love 2112! It’s fine, just surprising. I thought everyone who likes Rush loved 2112! At least side 1.
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I’m surprised by how many people never came to love 2112! It’s fine, just surprising. I thought everyone who likes Rush loved 2112! At least side 1.
    2112 was the album that saved the band. The record label was disappointed with sales of the prior albums and was considering dropping the band. It sold enough to convince the record company to continue to invest in the band. For my money, 2112 is easily the best of the first 4, with Caress Of Steel easily the worst of that group of albums (the first 4.)
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

I like side 2 of 2112 more than side 1. After the Overture/Temples I kinda lose interest.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    2112 was the album that saved the band. The record label was disappointed with sales of the prior albums and was considering dropping the band. It sold enough to convince the record company to continue to invest in the band. For my money, 2112 is easily the best of the first 4, with Caress Of Steel easily the worst of that group of albums (the first 4.)
    The importance of 2112 for Rush can never been downplayed. It really saved the band.

Caress of Steel was my first Rush album which I bought second-hand after seeing them a few minutes in a TV clip (can't remember the song, but A & G were constantly walking across the stage like expecting dads). The Bastille Day riff is tattooed in my brain! I could never assess the album in even the slightest objective way... The second was "All the World's a Stage" which affected how I briefly after took to the other 3 early ones (same as with Yessongs, I actually still prefer some of the live versions over the studio album versions). However, the real revelation for me came with A Farewell to Kings, when the band really distinguished themselves! From "Hey baby it's quarter to eight" towards "...shatteri the illusions of integrity, yeah..."
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Caress is great. The Necromancer is probably one of the most underrated Rush tracks imo. I used to make these weird cassettes when I was a teen and I tried to make something to scare my brother's friend who was a Rush fan. I used part of the narration at the beginning of the necromancer. I failed at scaring him but it was fun to make these weird tapes using tape manipulation. The weird thing is that this one independent radio station played parts of the album sped up and then slowed down(kind of like my tape manipulations).
    When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I love Rush and I love 2112.