Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank You Scientist announced for ROSfest 2014

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

Thank You Scientist announced for ROSfest 2014

Just saw this on PA.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Great choice, Buster, er, I mean Iggy!

This band tore it up at Progday. I immediately bought their 2 cds available there that day.

Rosfest continues to correctly realize that fans cannot live by Neo alone, and is taking up the mantle of Nearfest in booking an eclectic mix of styles, to their credit.

What's next in Gettysburg: Magma?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

that didn't take long

For those of you who weren't at ProgDay...you are in for one hell of a ride. Congrats and top props to George on this one
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    For those of you who weren't at ProgDay...you are in for one hell of a ride. Congrats and top props to George on this one
    There will have to be a dance area

George and Buster and I were all head-banging to them at ProgDay.

Which is really saying something GOOD, I think.

Congratulations to all parties!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Outstanding choice! They were the highlight of ProgDay for me this year. I remember having a conversation with George at some point over the weekend about how these guys would be a nice fit for ROSfest. For those who were not at ProgDay these guys may not be the typical ROSfest band, but I think you will be impressed.

Steve Sly

They're probably going to be to Rosfest what Sleepytime were to Nearfest - undeniably good music but absolutely divisive, at least as regards the RF regulars. For everybody that thinks they're amazing, they'll be another that that rants about "what's this PUNK band doing here - why do they have a horn section and a violin instead of a Mellotron - they're not prog at all - why does the big goofy guy with the beard keep staggering around and nearly falling off the stage - I'm gonna complain to George", and so forth.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 10-01-2013 at 06:53 PM.

Been listening to their full-length release on Spotify today and its quite the musical workout! Some great vibes, should be very impressive live.

I love discovering new bands at Rosfest. Still, I'm a bit puzzled as to the sheer number of fairly unknown bands this year, aside from Caravan. I can't say that I've seen hardly any of the announced bands as being on most people's "wish list" ahead of time (with SoC and Caravan being possible exceptions)...there's so many current prog bands out there that make headlines (in a relative sense, of course, like in Prog Magazine or multiple posts on PE, etc...) that it'd be good to see some of them get to take the stage at Rosfest, too. Hopefully the remaining announcements will meet that balance.

Like most of the bands announced for a festival, never heard of them. Played a couple of songs from Youtube. F*%# Me!!!! How have I never heard of these guys before? Have I said, "F*%# Me!!!!" yet? Please keep me away from the Geezer before they play. If I had any of his "assistance" before this band I might need more therapy than I already receive.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    They're probably going to be to Rosfest what Sleepytime were to Nearfest - undeniably good music but absolutely divisive, at least as regards the RF regulars. For everybody that thinks they're amazing, they'll be another that that rants about "what's this punk band doing here - they're not prog at all - why don't they have a Mellotron - why does the big goofy guy with the beard keep staggering around and nearly falling off the stage - I'm gonna complain to George", and so forth.
    I'm not so sure, John.

I've been to the last 7 Rosfests, and the attendees as well as the bands have become exponentially more diverse. Sure there will be some there that would much rather see IQ or Pendragon for the umpteenth time, but they are increasingly turning from a majority to a minority.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

I've seen these guys twice this year and they were phenomenal live. I won't be able to attend RoSFest next year but I'm sure they'll go over well. Hopefully their fan-base will grow with their inclusion on the RosFest bill, as they played for a terribly small crowd when I saw them in July.

As noted in the threads on Progday, these guys tore it up.
    Of all the bands that weekend, they might have a commercial chance in hell.
    Good choice. I would see them as the Moetar of RoSFest'14 opinion wise.
    mark
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Wow ... Good for them! Prepare to be blown away, ROSfest.

For those enjoying the album they are much better live (and its a great album). They tore it up at ProgDay
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

"Step into my office, Anthony"

First it's "thank you Geezer" and then it's "Thank You Scientist".

Don't be a wuss. Those middle school Canuckistanis will never know.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I'm not so sure, John.

I've been to the last 7 Rosfests, and the attendees as well as the bands have become exponentially more diverse. Sure there will be some there that would much rather see IQ or Pendragon for the umpteenth time, but they are increasingly turning from a majority to a minority.
    I tend to agree and actually see the band as quite accessible. They have terrific stage presence, and even though some of their stuff is a bit “out there” I can also find myself humming many of their melodies in my head. In fact the song “My Famed Disappearing Act” was totally stuck in my brain for about a month after their ProgDay performance. I honestly think they will go over well with the majority of the ROSfest crowd.

Steve Sly

They are one of those few prog acts with true crossover potential. In fact, I think they have a chance of becoming the next Dream Theater or Mars Volta.

Lord I hope not
    Ian

RosFest is shaping up to be a nice event next year. I'd go for Caravan alone if I could afford it!

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Lord I hope not
    I didn't mean stylistically, of course. I meant in terms of popularity. The worst thing that could happen is if they lost the sax, trumpet, and violin, as I see that as their identity. No one else does what they do quite like they do.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I tend to agree and actually see the band as quite accessible. They have terrific stage presence, and even though some of their stuff is a bit “out there” I can also find myself humming many of their melodies in my head. In fact the song “My Famed Disappearing Act” was totally stuck in my brain for about a month after their ProgDay performance. I honestly think they will go over well with the majority of the ROSfest crowd.

Steve Sly
    I think you got it right Steve I totally agree. Guess since this has been announced here I'll post it here in this thread.

THANK YOU SCIENTIST Announced for RoSfest 2014.

RoSfest is thrilled to announce US band THANK YOU SCIENTIST as the third band on Sunday for RoSfest 2014. This seven man strong unit started out in 2009, and has made quite a name for themselves in the live circuit in the following years. Describing themselves as a seven headed monster, other sources describe the band as a fairly eclectic unit that joyfully blend elements from jazz and fusion into a progressive rock framework, adding a touch of metal as additional flavoring.

TYS-52.jpg

Thank You Scientist released their first EP "The Perils of Time Travel" in 2011, but it wasn't until they released their full length album "Maps of Non-Existent Places" the following year that the band really started garnering a lot of attention. Salvatore Marrano (vocals), Tom Monda (guitars), Greg Colacino (bass), Odin Alvarez (drums), Russell Lynch (violin), Ellis Jasenovic (saxophone) and Andrew Digrius (trumpet) will be quite the presence on stage just from sheer numbers, and with music that combines the variety of bands such as The Mars Volta, the intensity of bands like Dream Theater and adds a distinct jazz rock atmosphere into one tight package they should make a huge impact musically as well.

After their energetic, mind blowing, and very well received performance at ProgDay over Labor Day, 2013, we knew that this band would fit right in to the RoSfest environment. We’re truly looking forward to experiencing Thank You Scientist live on our stage. The five o'clock concert on Saturday May 3rd will go down in history as one of the top "you should have been there" concerts in the annals of RoSfest.

www.thankyouscientist.net
    www.facebook.com/thankyouscientist
    www.youtube.com/thankyouscientist
    Iggyrawks

RoSfest
    May 2nd, 3rd & 4th 2014
    www.rosfest.com

Ambition: THE ONE WHO SAYS IT CAN'T BE DONE IS GENERALLY PASSED UP BY SOMEONE DOING IT

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    They are one of those few prog acts with true crossover potential. In fact, I think they have a chance of becoming the next Dream Theater or Mars Volta.
    There are parts of their songs and vocals that actually remind me a bit of Mars Volta in places.

Steve Sly

Vocals certainly remind me of Mars Volta
    Ian