Thread: The Watch - gig review/amazing setlist

The Watch - gig review/amazing setlist

Just got back from the opening gig of The Watch tour in Hamilton, Ontario. Absolutely fantastic... the sound was excellent and all five guys were in top form. I was really impressed with how tight they were, and they seemed to really enjoy themselves up there tonight. I'd be happy to see more original material too, since I am a big fan of all their albums. Simone did mention however that next year they plan on touring a show based on the Seconds Out album.

Here's the setlist (from memory, so I may have forgotten something)

The Watch
    Goddess
    The Fountain Of Salmacis
    Seven Stones
    Let Us Now Make Love
    The Musical Box
    The Return Of The Giant Hogweed
    Something Wrong/Entangled
    Dance On A Volcano
    Down And Out (segued into All In A Mouse's Night closing section)
    Eleventh Earl Of Mar
    One For The Vine

Encore:

The Fisherman
    Los Endos (added to the set)
    The Knife

... just outstanding. And I managed to pick up the only official release I was missing, The Green Show 2011 - Official Live Bootleg - it's only sold at their shows.
    Last edited by Progatron; 11-18-2012 at 11:57 PM.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Lino
    Was considering, but got stuck to the couch. Had I not seen the last tour, i prolly would have showed up. Glad you enjoyed!

I'm very impressed with their high energy on some of those classics as well as their own material. And it was a cool idea, doing those Trick & Wind numbers (and "Down And Out") with flute & Gabriel-style vocals. It was a good turnout, too, and a very appreciative crowd.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Apparently, Toronto is still a black hole for prog, as the Saturday gig there was cancelled. Unless there was some other reason. Glad it was a good show and well attended.

neil

The Watch will be at Gatineau (Québec) Nov 21. I'll be there. I'll let you know.
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Saw their Trespass / Nursery Cryme show in 2008. Loved it.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Wow what a great set list. Cool to see 'One For The Vine' on there, (and Seven Stones!). And looks like they played my personal favorite Watch tune, 'Something Wrong' which has that beautiful instrumental bit-something I wish they would do more of.

Lino
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Wow what a great set list. Cool to see 'One For The Vine' on there, (and Seven Stones!). And looks like they played my personal favorite Watch tune, 'Something Wrong' which has that beautiful instrumental bit-something I wish they would do more of.
    I'm not familiar with the band's studio work, but last time I saw them they played a couple of their own songs, and frankly, they were the best part of the show for me. One of them did have a great instrumental passage, may be the same song. it was my fave of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    I'm not familiar with the band's studio work, but last time I saw them they played a couple of their own songs, and frankly, they were the best part of the show for me. One of them did have a great instrumental passage, may be the same song. it was my fave of the night.
    That particular song, Something Wrong, is on their 'Planet Earth' cd, which is excellent. 'Vacuum' is also very good. I always wish for more instrumental passages in their music, but what there are are often outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Musitron View Post
    The Watch will be at Gatineau (Québec) Nov 21. I'll be there. I'll let you know.
    Enjoy the show!

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    I'm not familiar with the band's studio work, but last time I saw them they played a couple of their own songs, and frankly, they were the best part of the show for me..
    I love their studio albums, their original material is excellent and like I said I'd be happy to see a full show of it. It's kind of like having several more albums fully in the classic Genesis vein, but good quality original stuff, not 'copycat' or 'clone' stuff.

Yes, a beautiful track with the obvious nod to "Entangled", and in fact they blended it IN to "Entangled" in the show, it was seamless and probably my favourite part of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I love their studio albums, their original material is excellent and like I said I'd be happy to see a full show of it. It's kind of like having several more albums fully in the classic Genesis vein, but good quality original stuff, not 'copycat' or 'clone' stuff.

Yes, a beautiful track with the obvious nod to "Entangled", and in fact they blended it IN to "Entangled" in the show, it was seamless and probably my favourite part of the show.
    Did they do all of Something Wrong, plus all of Entangled? I've always noted the nod to Entangled there, but there is more to it in some ways, at least in the instrumental section, with the soaring lead, the great chords etc.. making the song pretty magical, and one of my favorite pieces of music of recent years.

Did they do all of Something Wrong, plus all of Entangled?
    No, they blended the two, so it was the first half of "Something Wrong", but the instrumental section became the second half of "Entangled" (I guess since they're so similar).

I saw The Watch yesterday. It was good when they played old Genesis songs. The second set was more Phil Colin's Genesis. Not bad.
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

I'm sorry I missed the Hamilton show. Was considering going.

One For The Vine:

The Knife:

There is a complete DVD of this show up here:

http://torrent.genesis-movement.org/

Banned
    I'm very impressed with their high energy on some of those classics as well as their own material. And it was a cool idea, doing those Trick & Wind numbers (and "Down And Out") with flute & Gabriel-style vocals. It was a good turnout, too, and a very appreciative crowd.
    Are those on YouTube? I would love to see that?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Are those on YouTube? I would love to see that?
    "One For The Vine" is two posts above yours.

Banned
    "One For The Vine" is two posts above yours.
    Does it have flute?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Does it have flute?
    Oh, you'd prefer my commentary rather than click 'Play'? Give me your cell # and I'll call you and sing it to you, how's that?

Banned
    Oh, you'd prefer my commentary rather than click 'Play'? Give me your cell # and I'll call you and sing it to you, how's that?
    Sorry, I am currently cracking some Pantera(as it is the anniversary of Dimebag's death), So, I'll listen later. I just asked that question cause someone mentioned that Simone added flute to the Collins era numbers that they played.