Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PFM first three albums..

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    The first 3 are their best, but Chocolate Kings is a great album. Their last great one.
    Yes. Although I like Jet Lag too, but it's a half-step down from CK. I thought they kind of suited that jazzier vein, but things really start to fall apart with Passpartu, and got even more dismal from there, for a long time. Until the Dracula album, that is. I'm not sure how that album is rated around here, I can't remember it being discussed much, but I quite like it - parts of it, anyway. And even more so, I like Stati Di Immaginazione, some beautiful music there. But none of these approach the first 3 + Chocolate Kings.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

These are my 3 favorites also. The first two are absolute classics...I personally give the edge to Storia Di Un Minuto. Though Per Un Amico is no slouch...I actually just listened to it again and it still has the magic. L'Isola Di Niente has dropped a bit for me though. I still like it, but for my taste now it is several notches below the others.

And I have been thinking about checking out Chocolate Kings again, been a long time for me with that one.

The first 3 albums are gems! Love em!

I think the How / When / and Where has an influence on how people perceive albums. For instance, I was 18 and just moved to California when I was turned on to PFM by new friends out there. The exotic-ness of the new locale, the impressionable-ness of that period of life and age, joined with the exotic-ness of the music and the fact that it came from Italy (which gave it a remote and attractive alien-ness at the time) all conspired to give these first albums (along with Chocolate Kings and Jet Lag) a magic for me that lives to this day. I can play them and still feel what I felt then, and see the blue sky and crashing shores of California. Very personal. When I returned to Ga., I loaned a copy of "Storia" to one friend, and "Per Un Amico" to another. They both loved them. Then, I switched the albums and l loaned them each the other. They both claimed to like the first one they heard the best. Is that an objective assessment, or purely subjective on their part? I incline towards the latter. The right thing at the right time always has a magic quality for the individual, regardless of how others rate it from their own perception and experience.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    PFM are perhaps the greatest Symph style Prog band of the early 70s. Obviously, they didn't make it big in England or the US due to the Italian lyrics (something they tried to rectify later I know) but lyrics are the weakest thing about Prog music so really that fact is a shame on the Symph fans of the time.
    Rectify? PFM should have never recorded English lyrics, never cave into cultural genocide. It's like putting ketchup on fllet mignon.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Rectify? PFM should have never recorded English lyrics, never cave into cultural genocide. It's like putting ketchup on fllet mignon.
    we are in agreement friend
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    we are in agreement friend
    We often are, MT.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)