Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wetton interview - why Asia is not progressive

Wetton interview - why Asia is not progressive

There's a rather nice new John Wetton interview at http://radiotangra.com/en/read.php?id=22301 Among other things, he talks about what the "progressive" label means.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Right on Mr. Wetton.

Good interview.

Has anyone figured out what Wetton was doing in the Crimson orbit recently? (Like, did Fripp decide not to include him, or was he never at Fripp's house for that reason?) Did the tease about him singing "Schizoid Man" refer only to the District 97 tour?

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Has anyone figured out what Wetton was doing in the Crimson orbit recently? (Like, did Fripp decide not to include him, or was he never at Fripp's house for that reason?) Did the tease about him singing "Schizoid Man" refer only to the District 97 tour?
    I've been wondering the same. His demonstrative denial of any involvement in the reunion (before the full line-up was known) suggests he was never going to be part of it... but, indeed, why all the hints from Fripp then?

Maybe we can get a joint tour: District 97 w/ Wetton, Crimson ProjeKct, and the new King Crimson, all playing old Crimson music.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I've been wondering the same. His demonstrative denial of any involvement in the reunion (before the full line-up was known) suggests he was never going to be part of it... but, indeed, why all the hints from Fripp then?

Henry
    Was Wetton denying it? I thought the opposite based on his tweets in recent months…did he flat out deny it somewhere? The impression I got after last weeks news was that he didn’t make (Fripp’s) final cut??

This whole "didn't make the cut, OMG, what about Ade" thing is strange to me. People are thinking they got ruthlessly Pat Hadened immediately after the flight touched down. When, in fact, it's just people agreeing to play music.

Quote Originally Posted by Akustika View Post
    Was Wetton denying it? I thought the opposite based on his tweets in recent months…did he flat out deny it somewhere? The impression I got after last weeks news was that he didn’t make (Fripp’s) final cut??
    He did flat-out deny it (think he told someone here who was in touch with him), but that was very shortly before Fripp announced the lineup.

He used the term "shenanigans".

Henry

He says the band is stronger without Howe? Wow! Howe's compositions and playing were the only things that interested me in the group in the first place! His presence has been watered down since their first record, though. At this point, I'm not interested in hearing any more Asia. They'll probably go over huge in Bulgaria! They can be Bulgaria's "David Hasselhoff". I'm told he's huge in Germany!
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 10-02-2013 at 09:19 PM.

Howe was being completely wasted in Asia during the reunion, IMO.

And I've always found it interesting that if they don't have Howe in Asia, they have someone with a more \m/etal background.

I'm interested in what they come up with now that Coulson's in the band, but they obviously have no interest in the dynamic they had on the debut.

And, of all the songs in their catalog that they could have performed with an orchestra, they choose "Heroine?" Man, what an awful song.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Howe was being completely wasted in Asia during the reunion, IMO.

And I've always found it interesting that if they don't have Howe in Asia, they have someone with a more \m/etal background.

I'm interested in what they come up with now that Coulson's in the band, but they obviously have no interest in the dynamic they had on the debut.

And, of all the songs in their catalog that they could have performed with an orchestra, they choose "Heroine?" Man, what an awful song.
    I for one enjoyed what Howe added to the reunion albums...I will miss his "fussy" playing. Too bad they couldn't get Govan back after Howe left.

Quote Originally Posted by Akustika View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    He did flat-out deny it (think he told someone here who was in touch with him), but that was very shortly before Fripp announced the lineup.
    He used the term "shenanigans".

Henry
    When the DGM posts/pictures first broke in July, Wetton's guestbook went abuzz. He could've denied it back then, but he did not. I 'm not sure how to take Wetton's ' KC shenanigans' tweet - was it about being left out of the new KC (he did post that he wasn't asked to join), did he think 3 drummers was too much, or was it just the way they promoted 'The Road To Red'; by making you think there was more to it than that???
    Last edited by Akustika; 10-01-2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: dyslexia?

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    He says the band is stronger without Howe? Wow! I thought Howe's compositions and playing were the only things that interested me in the group in the first place! His presence has been watered down since their first record, though. At this point, I'm not interested in hearing any more Asia. They'll probably go over huge in Bulgaria! They can be Bulgaria's "David Hasselhoff". I'm told he's huge in Germany!
    Let's leave aside this strange random desire to insult Bulgarians' musical tastes...

What do you say about a band member who's left? No band wants to say, "We're really shit now he's gone." They've got to say things are good for promotional reasons. That said, Wetton's answer came across as rather ungracious towards Howe, but maybe that's just a by-product of the interview transcription and wasn't his intended tone.

Henry

Banned
    Let's leave aside this strange random desire to insult Bulgarians' musical tastes...

What do you say about a band member who's left? No band wants to say, "We're really shit now he's gone." They've got to say things are good for promotional reasons. That said, Wetton's answer came across as rather ungracious towards Howe, but maybe that's just a by-product of the interview transcription and wasn't his intended tone.

Henry
    Didn't Howe leave Asia in '85 because he couldn't get along with Wetton? I know you're an expert on all things Yes and Yes-related, but maybe Howe and Wetton still can't get along. So, maybe Howe being gone is a better situation for the band.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Didn't Howe leave Asia in '85 because he couldn't get along with Wetton? I know you're an expert on all things Yes and Yes-related, but maybe Howe and Wetton still can't get along. So, maybe Howe being gone is a better situation for the band.
    Wetton left Asia, and then Howe left Asis because, yes, they weren't getting on. Noticeably, Howe was twice involved in the Wetton-less Asia with Downes, but wasn't involved in the reunion plans with Wetton that produced Qango, it seems because the tension between them continued. But that was many years ago, and when Wetton was drinking. They seem to be getting on fine lately. I think Howe's departure now is what it seems to be: he was too busy and wanted to drop something.

Henry

He's right, Asia is not progressive, and never was. I liked that first album all right when it came out. Some good tunes and playing on that one. And I for one am proud of Howe for leaving. He can do better.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Werbinox View Post
    He's right, Asia is not progressive, and never was. I liked that first album all right when it came out. Some good tunes and playing on that one. And I for one am proud of Howe for leaving. He can do better.
    Seriously, Asia is not a bad band. So, why are you proud of Howe for leaving Asia? He must've liked them to keep going back to the band.

What??? Asia's not prog??

Wetton left Asia, and then Howe left Asis because, yes, they weren't getting on. Noticeably, Howe was twice involved in the Wetton-less Asia with Downes, but wasn't involved in the reunion plans with Wetton that produced Qango, it seems because the tension between them continued. But that was many years ago, and when Wetton was drinking. They seem to be getting on fine lately. I think Howe's departure now is what it seems to be: he was too busy and wanted to drop something.

Henry
    I always had the impression that Wetton's ego and drinking led to much of the acrimony between he and Howe.

Seriously, Asia is not a bad band. So, why are you proud of Howe for leaving Asia? He must've liked them to keep going back to the band.
    It was a steady gig that paid. And he obviously gets on well with Downes, and seems to have managed at least a working relationship now with Wetton.

That said, I'm looking forward to his work now that he's left, and I'm interested in what Asia comes up with this new guitarist. Best of both worlds - like when anyone leaves a band (Spock's w/o Neal, Yes w/o Anderson, etc.)
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    He says the band is stronger without Howe? Wow! I thought Howe's compositions and playing were the only things that interested me in the group in the first place! His presence has been watered down since their first record, though. At this point, I'm not interested in hearing any more Asia. They'll probably go over huge in Bulgaria! They can be Bulgaria's "David Hasselhoff". I'm told he's huge in Germany!
    Interestingly, early last year (2012), Wetton said Asia only works with the original four members. That being said, if Howe wants to leave and the others want to continue, good for them.

I have seen many youtube clips of Coulson live with band. He does okay, but he's not Howe. I am looking forward to see how he sounds on the new album.
    I believe Asia will not sell as many tickets going forward because of Howe's departure (some go to shows because they are Howe fans, others to want to see the original four). Perhaps I am wrong.

I would like to see Howe rejoin them someday. I do think he and Wetton are cordial and the animosity from years past is gone.
    Last edited by jrw; 10-02-2013 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Typo

Henry
    Relax. It's a joke. I'm sure the future of many bands is determined by how they go down in Bulgaria.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    I have seen many youtube clips of Coulson lie.
    What did he lie about?

What did he lie about?
    It should read live.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    It should read live.
    There is the edit button.

Nowhere do I say Asia is a bad band. I even point out I like the first album. I agreed with Wetton that they are not progressive. That doesn't automatically mean "bad". And tho I like that first album, I think their music went downhill from there. So, tho they are not a 'bad band', they are not great. And I think Howe should be in a great band. To repeat, I think he can do better.