Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Inkenstein's (Superfly) Art

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Thanks Lou. You're in Mass? We're practically neighbors. It's a very rare thing for me to get any feedback on the Cemetery Dance work. The most I've ever heard from Richard Chizmar is "Looks great! Thanks." But, he keeps inviting me back which is thanks enough! Was that the story about the wrestling dummy? Loved that one. There's another two page spread as well, the one where everyone is exploding or on fire. Good family entertainment.
    Hi Will,

Yes, I'm in Massachusetts. Medford to be exact. About 4 miles north of Boston. How neighborly are we? Are you in Maine?; used to be part of Massachusetts in the colonial days.

Just looked at the story. It is about the wrestling dummy. One of these days I should read it. I've been getting Cemetery Dance for years, since about 1995 or so. I usually read the reviews, the interview, and the columns first, then, a story or two if I don't get distracted by something else.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Yeah Lou, I am in Maine, Bangor..so not exactly neighbors, but with the miracle that is PE, we're all neighbors!

The Dummy story was one of the better ones I've illustrated, and the publisher loved what I did with it. I didn't try to make it 'horror', I did it as if I were drawing for Sports Illustrated. Not unlike "The Boxer" one I did for Insidious Reflections.

boxer.jpg
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Here's the finished version of "The Lovecraft Triplets" aka...Barry, Maurice and Robin. Aren't they as sweet as kittens?

tripletsink2.jpg
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

I just want to snuggle up to them and stroke their, uhm, skin. Do they bite?
    Lou

What a silly question!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Do they bite I'm guessing, right after they use their anesthetic saliva to numb the area, they sink their teeth in but GOOD!

So...here's something I've been working on the side on. Aside from the new comic story piece, I told you about that, right? Doing a comic adaptation of Neal Barrett Jr's short story "Blind Date", eight pages, taking up a lot of time. anyhow...Sunflower Of The Mind! A painting that can be hung in any direction.

sunflower1.jpg sunflower1.jpg
    Last edited by Superfly; 05-17-2014 at 09:20 AM.

Nice sunflower, Will.

Not familiar with "Blind Date." (Just from the title, it sounds like it's going to have some Joe Lansdale mayhem to it.) I'll have to look it up and other stuff by Neal Barret, Jr. I know the name but can't recall reading anything by him.
    Lou

Hi Will,

Just got the latest issue of Cemetery Dance. There you are on pages 14 and 15. Man, if you drew that picture in the third grade, you would surely have been expelled from school.
    Lou

So...you're telling me that my work looks like a third grader? It's been called much worse! Yeah, that illustration is lot's of exploding mayhem. The children on fire is a nice touch I think. That's the first piece I did for CD all painted in grayscale. Not converted on the computer after the fact, but actually painted that way. Richard seemed to really like it. Thanks for buying one!

Where I work (my day job is as an orthotic/prosthetic tech) we have a very boring meeting once a week. Well it was driving me nuts and I couldn't listen to their corporate crap any longer so I've started a sketch series to be done during each meeting. The "Billy Goes To Meeting" series. The only rules are: only pen or pencil, no preconceived ideas it must be spontaneous. And it has to be completed within the meeting time only, usually a little over an hour. Here are a few of these brainfarts!

BGTM-5.jpgBGTM - spaghetti.jpgscizzors.jpgmerv.jpgBGTM-7-balance.jpg

Wonderful stuff, Will. I was laughing at the fourth one, when wifey walked in, "I thought you were working. What are you looking at?" She laughed, too. Next time I'm in a boring meeting, nearly all the ones I go to, I'll think of your drawings. Hope I don't laugh.
    Lou

I call him "Merv". Not sure why...it just fits.

It's been a while since I've posted here, so here's something fresh from the torture chamber. One of my three illustrations for the CD special collection; "Detours". It's a collection of deleted chapters, essays and such. (Already sold out and it hasn't even been released yet!) This one if for the Kelley Armstrong short story, The Hunt.
    TheHunt2.jpg

And the hits just keep on comin'!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Over 2000 views so far for this page...impressive...even though half of them are mine

One of the cool things about illustrating other people's stories is that I have to draw things I wouldn't otherwise even consider drawing. Case in point: The Willendorf Venus. This one is also for the Detours book, for the Michael Marshall Smith deleted chapter from Straw Men.

Straw-Men-Chap29-Excerpt2.jpg

Pretty horrific stuff, Will. I love it.
    Lou

Maybe you should draw "a wolf in sheep's clothing" and then use it as your personal logo!

Hey, in case any of you folks are also over on facebook, find me, friend me, and keep up to date on the latest stuff. I tend to keep in touch more there than here. I also just uploaded the entire William F. Nolan piece I illustrated, Fair Trade. Check it out @ https://www.facebook.com/renfro666

Here's a real blast from the past, this was something I painted years ago as a possible cover for the second 'Speechless' album which, unfortunately, never happened: speech2em.jpg
    Last edited by Superfly; 08-09-2014 at 08:43 AM.

Beautiful work for the not-to-be Speechless album. I'm not on Facebook, but I did click the link. I had no idea you are Andy Kaufman. One of the funniest guys ever.
    Lou

Hey, I thought that what's hanging in my living room (someday maybe I'll remember to tell you what comments I remember from the many who have viewed it) was the not-to-be Speechless album!

Yeah Geez, yours was also in the running as a possible cover, but one of the other guys felt it was too busy. Finally, the project just fell apart, but I got some really nice pieces of art done, Some of which are still unfinished.

Here's another reject:
    dreamcatcher.jpg
    Last edited by Superfly; 08-15-2014 at 11:10 PM.

Finally, something new. Here's my first new work in a couple of months. Third in the "Cluster" series, this one has a little more structure and symmetry. I'm loving the cool blues and greens in this one. As usual, watercolor and ink, "Cluster Three: Flower Power"

Cluster3.jpg

That is gorgeous, Will. Reminds me of some of the black-light posters one could buy at the Paperback Bookstore off of Weybosset St. in downtown Providence when I was in high school in 1968.
    Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    That is gorgeous, Will. Reminds me of some of the black-light posters one could buy at the Paperback Bookstore off of Weybosset St. in downtown Providence when I was in high school in 1968.
    "Ooo-Ooo-Ooo-Ooo, have another hit, fresh air"

"Electric Boogaloo Goes To Disneyworld" - Back from vacation and ready to rock, Boogaloo is a skeleton with a lot of charisma and a briefcase full of secrets.
    Boogaloo2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    "Electric Boogaloo Goes To Disneyworld" - Back from vacation and ready to rock, Boogaloo is a skeleton with a lot of charisma and a briefcase full of secrets.
    Boogaloo2.jpg
    Excellent!