Thread: Metallica Movie: In to the Never

Out standing in my field trespass's Avatar

Metallica Movie: In to the Never

Vistited this site for the first time in a long time and was surprrised I didn't see any posts about this movie. And don't respond that's because Metallica isn't Progressive Metal, they are that and a whole lot more.

Saw this movie yesterday in a 300 seat IMAX, delightfully attended by 15 or so folks, and I thought it was the best concert movie I have ever seen. Not the same old boring DVD of a band playing on stage. This was a creation, fantasticlly shot, and a beautiful masterpiece of a concert movie. I wasn't overly enthusiastic with the song selection, good not great, and unfortuantely the audience doesn't get the extended jams one might get in concert, but overall this movie wipes out every other Rock Concert Movie or live DVD of any band produced in the last 40 years. The energy and imagry was great. The sound so crystal clear even the best high-def DVDs can't match it.

About a 1000x improvement over movies such as "The Wall" or "Song Remains the Same".

This movie, along with Metallica's recent performance at the Apollo Theater in Harlem, along with their dedicated channel on Satellite Radio makes them the most relevant 30 year old band still in the mix.

Funny things is, I'm not a big fan of Metallica, but I have been listening to them since 83' (prolly one of the first people to own "Kill 'Em All"), and they are part of the fabric of my history. They deserve some kudos for making a fantastic leap in this genre'.

If there are misspellings in this post it's because that iSpell plugin doesn't work for me.

have fun out there (and go check out this movie and take your GF or wife on a "not-so-safe" date)
    Last edited by trespass; 09-28-2013 at 08:09 PM. Reason: actual name is "Through The Never"

I saw the 3D U2 movie a couple years back and was pretty darn well blown away. Did you see that one and, if so, how do they compare?

A friend of mine saw this and said it was one of the best experiences of his fandom of 25+ years. And he really didn't care much about them for the past 15.

The setlist is heavy in the good stuff (Justice and prior, imo) so it looks like a cool deal. Might have to check it out. I was a fan back in the 80s before MTV broke them wide open. By then I wouldn't say the thrill was gone, but it was on the wane. Still, this looks cool!

Out standing in my field trespass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    A friend of mine saw this and said it was one of the best experiences of his fandom of 25+ years. And he really didn't care much about them for the past 15.
    That describes my experience. Maybe seeing it at IMAX and in 3D helped. Not so much the 3D but the IMAX sound and visuals. My wife thought it was very cool too, and she has never been to a Metallica concert. The energy and the fury of the music fueled the intensity of the movie. I would love to see more bands do this type of thing, because next to sitting in the pit, I don't think you could get a better presentation of the intensity of a band live. Not sure I would be blown away so much if I saw this on Blu-Ray at home. I don't go to movies very often, and haven't been to an IMAX movie in a long time, but now I'm a convinced that this is a format that totally delivers. Any fan of progressive metal, or metal in general, should go see this movie as the bar has been set for everything moving forward. Not sure how it compares to the U2 movie, I'm assuming they would both deliver to the fanbase, but this was more than a band in concert, it was a movie w/ an inner storyline. I guess Def Leopard has one coming up, but not sure how that can compare to the massive intensity of the band known as Metallica.

I should clarify, I wasn't thinking comparison in terms of music and performance but how it comes off as an experience- the U2 movie really had a "you are there" feel to it. It was visceral.

"overall this movie wipes out every other Rock Concert Movie or live DVD of any band produced in the last 40 years."

Your enthusiasm is palpable, and that's cool. Nothing wrong with digging it so much. But to engage in the kind of hyperbole you do above, you must have seen every rock concert movie and DVD of any and every band in the last 40 years. Have you? Seen all of Crimson's? Zappa's? Seen PFM live in Japan? All of Gentle Giant's? Jethro Tull's? For that matter Bruce Springsteen's? Iron Maiden? There are thousands. Taking into consideration modern technology, this Metallica movie probably DOES have awesome sound and visual production. Maybe better than any before it. But does it "wipe out" every other...of any band...in the last 40 years? Doubtful. Just trying to provide a reality check here. Carry on with enthusiasm. That is all...

Quote Originally Posted by Werbinox View Post
    "overall this movie wipes out every other Rock Concert Movie or live DVD of any band produced in the last 40 years."

Your enthusiasm is palpable, and that's cool. Nothing wrong with digging it so much. But to engage in the kind of hyperbole you do above, you must have seen every rock concert movie and DVD of any and every band in the last 40 years. Have you? Seen all of Crimson's? Zappa's? Seen PFM live in Japan? All of Gentle Giant's? Jethro Tull's? For that matter Bruce Springsteen's? Iron Maiden? There are thousands. Taking into consideration modern technology, this Metallica movie probably DOES have awesome sound and visual production. Maybe better than any before it. But does it "wipe out" every other...of any band...in the last 40 years? Doubtful. Just trying to provide a reality check here. Carry on with enthusiasm. That is all...
    Sheesh, can't someone voice his opinion without someone quickly analyze his comments as if they were the gospel? Way to crap on someone's enthusiasm. I am looking forward to seeing this movie and appreciate Trespass' opinion.

You know what, maybe Sean should put some coding into the forum where every post box has an "In my opinion..." at he top of it.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    Sheesh, can't someone voice his opinion without someone quickly analyze his comments as if they were the gospel? Way to crap on someone's enthusiasm. I am looking forward to seeing this movie and appreciate Trespass' opinion.

You know what, maybe Sean should put some coding into the forum where every post box has an "In my opinion..." at he top of it.
    You think THAT is crapping on someone's enthusiasm? What rock have you been hiding under, 'Pathetic-snuka'? Someone can make a wild claim like it "wipes out Every concert movie or dvd in 40 fuckin years' and you don't wanna ask him if he can even back up that claim with knowledge of every dvd and concert movie in the last 40 fuckin' years? Are you for real? I have two words for your post here - Shit Sandwich!

"In my opinion, kindling is the best way to start a fire." - Peggy Hill

I agree with Werbinox above but I'll put it in other words.

Part of the problem with the Prog scene is that there are some vocal members who equate criticism with joy-killing. Without criticism, all you have are cheerleaders. Every album becomes "the best since..." Every band is the "greatest since..." No it isn't. I also don't like this notion that I somehow owe anyone a profit by only writing positive comments.

As for this movie, it's obviously geared towards a younger crowd. It has that violent action movie/video game look to it that I find disturbing. I'm sure that it's visually stunning and I'm sure Metallica puts on an excellent performance. However, whenever I see anything like this, whether it's this particular film or a U2 film or whatever, I'm always reminded of Spinal Tap.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I agree with Werbinox above but I'll put it in other words.

Part of the problem with the Prog scene is that there are some vocal members who equate criticism with joy-killing. Without criticism, all you have are cheerleaders. Every album becomes "the best since..." Every band is the "greatest since..." No it isn't. I also don't like this notion that I somehow owe anyone a profit by only writing positive comments.

As for this movie, it's obviously geared towards a younger crowd. It has that violent action movie/video game look to it that I find disturbing. I'm sure that it's visually stunning and I'm sure Metallica puts on an excellent performance. However, whenever I see anything like this, whether it's this particular film or a U2 film or whatever, I'm always reminded of Spinal Tap.
    I for one have no plans to see the movie. But I did see the U2 3D movie at the Imax back in 2008. That was an incredible movie, and it was strictly concert footage of their 2006 world tour. The concert venue was somewhere in SouthAmerica, there were 60,000 people in the audience, and you got to enjoy the movie as if you were hovering over the audience about 10 rows from the stage. But the U2 film was strictly a concert film, and it had plenty of long stretched out shots of the band and very few quick-cutaway shots. It was cutting edge techology-wise at the time, I am unsure if looks as good as what can be produced today.

You think THAT is crapping on someone's enthusiasm? What rock have you been hiding under, 'Pathetic-snuka'? Someone can make a wild claim like it "wipes out Every concert movie or dvd in 40 fuckin years' and you don't wanna ask him if he can even back up that claim with knowledge of every dvd and concert movie in the last 40 fuckin' years? Are you for real? I have two words for your post here - Shit Sandwich!
    Nice reply. What are you, 10 years old?

Some people take this message board and their fandom of progressive rock/music in general way too seriously.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

'Pathetic-snuka'
    Shit Sandwich!

Such class.

Jefferson James
    I saw the U2 movie when it came out, my girlfriend is a big fan (I dug "Achtung" a LOT -- fantastic stuff), it was pretty cool; the 3D had me wanting to reach out and touch the flame.

Good to see you here again, Trespass.

Some people take this message board and their fandom of progressive rock/music in general way too seriously.
    Nice self-assessment there

You insist on being either clueless, or reading comprehension challenged. My response to the OP has nothing to do with the kind of rabid fandom you allude to, and everything to do with truthfullness before hyperbole. I would ask the same thing if he had written that New Super Uber Coke wiped out all other sodas in the past 40 years. Has he tried them all? No response.

Banned
    Isn't the movie called Through The Never(like the song off The Black Album)?

You insist on being either clueless, or reading comprehension challenged. My response to the OP has nothing to do with the kind of rabid fandom you allude to, and everything to do with truthfullness before hyperbole. I would ask the same thing if he had written that New Super Uber Coke wiped out all other sodas in the past 40 years. Has he tried them all? No response.
    Who cares? Apparently you have a bug up your butt about it since you had to resort to personal attacks. Did your life change at all because Trespass said that "this movie wipes out every other Rock Concert Movie or live DVD of any band produced in the last 40 years"? Apparently it did, because you had to resort to personal attacks.

And, yes, JIF, the movie is called Through the Never, which I am hoping to see this weekend. I'm hoping it wipes out every other rock concert movie or live DVD produced EVER!!!!

Oddly, according to the movie soundtrack, which is essentially a recording of a live Metallica show, "Through the Never," one of my favs off the Black album, wasn't played during the performance. That's like "The Song Remains the Same" not being done for, well, "The Song Remains the Same."

Who cares? Apparently you have a bug up your butt about it since you had to resort to personal attacks. Did your life change at all because Trespass said that "this movie wipes out every other Rock Concert Movie or live DVD of any band produced in the last 40 years"? Apparently it did, because you had to resort to personal attacks.

And, yes, JIF, the movie is called Through the Never, which I am hoping to see this weekend. I'm hoping it wipes out every other rock concert movie or live DVD produced EVER!!!!

Oddly, according to the movie soundtrack, which is essentially a recording of a live Metallica show, "Through the Never," one of my favs off the Black album, wasn't played during the performance. That's like "The Song Remains the Same" not being done for, well, "The Song Remains the Same."
    I care obviously. You still dont comprehend this thread. And if Thru the Never DOES 'wipe out' every other dvd and concert movie in the past 40 yrs, you still wont know How or Why, and will believe it just cuz...other clueless people say it is. And that is fine. Go Schmo!

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    I read a review that slammed this film, from a Metallica fan, so I am very cynical. The reviewer ripped the whole roadie side show fantasy, which sounds lame as hell BTW. I'll see it on Netflix in a year or so, since I am not too impressed with Metallica with the new bass player, I just don't dig his act.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    I read a review that slammed this film, from a Metallica fan, so I am very cynical. The reviewer ripped the whole roadie side show fantasy, which sounds lame as hell BTW. I'll see it on Netflix in a year or so, since I am not too impressed with Metallica with the new bass player, I just don't dig his act.
    So this reviewer did not believe that Through the Never wipes out every other rock concert movie or live DVD produced? I hope he didn't say that it was the worst rock concert movie/live DVD produced, because I bet he hasn't seen every rock concert/live DVD produced.

I was originally going to wait for Netflix as well, but I'm interested to see it in 3D. I'm hoping it will be the first 3D film I have enjoyed since "Avatar."