Thread: Featured CD - Inkabb Holnap: Tomorrow Instead

Featured CD - Inkabb Holnap: Tomorrow Instead

A long-standing favorite of mine, courtesy of an Yves recommendation years ago:

Per Sea Of tranquility:
    Young Hungarian upstarts Inkabb Holnap ( Tomorrow Instead) burst onto the progressive scene with a vengeance. Their debut instrumental release is highly impressive. Meshing elements of classic progressive and modern fusion, this self-titled debut disc showcases a foursome of highly talented musicians, who seem to be able to balance chops and harmony on a razor's edge. Led by guitarist extraordinaire Krisztián PAÁR, who's technical mastery of the six-string dominates throughout, Inkabb Holnap weave a trail of finely crafted musical gems . Standout tracks like " 1000 Lei" demonstrate this band's musical prowess; with it's delicate passages contrasted by certain moments of bombast. The bluesy-opening " Hi Honey" has the band exploring more conventional modern fusion, with the sweltering leads from PAÁR counterpunching Imre SÁRI's sober yet tasteful keyboard excursions.The closing segments of this track create some tense musical moments filled with power and passion before fading away.
    "Old Man's Mine" has Mr PAÁR leading the charge once again with some very tasty leads, before segueing into more keyboard fills courtesy of Mr SÁRI . Again, the delicate balance of chops and melody is amply demonstrated as the track leads the listener through many mood swings without missing a beat. "Oheighthundred" seems more suited to Mr SÁRI's idiosyncratic keyboard play, yet still has great angular fills from Mr PAÁR; who's passionate solo 3/4 of the way into the track is one of the disc's highlights.
    The very jazzy "See Saw" features some superb acoustic piano playing interspersed with some great digital keyboards; and acts as the showpiece for Imre SÁRI. This leads us to the 12:43 epic closer " Strawberry Melon". The rock-solid rhythm section of Péter HOFFER on bass and Krisztián VÉRTI on drums cement a track where all the stops are pulled. Here the band reaches deep into it's bag of influences and retrieves snippets from all the styles visited in earlier numbers in order to fuse them cohesively into one entity. Soulful guitars passages and washes of keyboards coalesce to create a subtle bouquet of musical fragrances; which complement each other without any one dominating the other.
    To say that I'm impressed with Inkabb Holnap would be a slight understatement. This is , in my opinion, one of the finest releases from 2003 and about as impressive a debut as any I've heard. Subtlety is the keyword here, as these guys won't hit you over the head with unbridled virtuosity. Compositional skills, and tastefully constructed melodies are the order of the day on this disc. Highly recommended.
    Added: October 24th 2003
    Reviewer: Yves Dube
    Score:
    Related Link: www.inkabbholnap.gyor.hu
    http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...ontent&id=1005

Regards,

Duncan

Just reading that review...has it been 10 years already? I had a better grasp of hyperbole back then!

I haven't listened to this one in years. I do recall that when I wrote that review the disc was in heavy rotation at casa de Yves... I think I'll give it a spin over the weekend!

I kept meaning to dig deeper into their label(Periferic?) but the discs were hard to find back then. They seemed to have a few promising Hungarian bands signed..
    Last edited by Yves; 09-26-2013 at 10:55 AM.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I know I have this one, but have no idea what it sounds like.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Not the blazing virtuosoes you're usually into Ed...

Looking like this one flew under the radar completely. As I stated earlier, Periferic did not seem to be the best at promoting or distributing their artists music.

I never knew Yves had such refined taste!

I was good with the track until the organ part near the end, a little circus sounding.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

The thing about this disc is no 2 tracks are similar. I think Duncan posted that link because it might be the only one on YouTube.

Damn you Yves. I was about to sit down with a jar of coconut oil and watch "Debbie Does The Nomadic Herdsmen of Niger" when you have Duncan post a cd that might actually be good since I own it. So I dug it out and put it on and it is really quite good. There is some nice crunchy guitar work and good keyboard playing as well. They would be a nice band to have at Progday. Since the wife just got in from work Debbie will have to wait for another day.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Something Shadow does NOT think stinks! This is cause for celebration!

Yes, they would have been a perfect ProgDay band... Not sure they're still around. Not even sure if they ever put out a second disc.

Ed said:
    "Debbie Does The Nomadic Herdsmen of Niger"
    Exactly what I thought the song above was the soundtrack for! :P
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!