Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camel re-records "The Snow Goose"

Camel re-records "The Snow Goose"

In the new issue of Prog Magazine, Andy is quoted as saying, ''Oh yes, I've re-recorded it, and that's been a challenge! I wanted to keep to the original as much as I could but also I wanted to invest some new things in it, to see if I could improve it. I've re-orchestrated it with Denis, our drummer, so that's been fun. I've written some new bits for it, I think. I've lengthened some of the quieter pieces, but when people listen to it, it has the same feel. It's very true to the original but it's got a lot of new things in it that I hope people will enjoy. It's been a bit of a rush, like it always is in the rock 'n' roll world but we're doing artwork now, so it should be available on the tour. I think people will like it''

Very eager to hear how the Snow Goose shows go. Wish I could see them live. As for rerecording of SG, I am sure Andy will do a great job, and it might be interesting to hear some new bits added.

Huh. Very interested in hearing this.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Hmmm .. I think I'd rather hear something new, but I'll take a re-recording of something over nothing any day.
    flute juice

A tad disappointed as we thought a 'new' album was on the way, but I suppose that was a bit much to expect given all that's happened.

Quote Originally Posted by everyday View Post
    A tad disappointed as we thought a 'new' album was on the way, but I suppose that was a bit much to expect given all that's happened.
    From what I have heard he did mention in the interview that he is also working on an album with new material for release in 2014. Can anyone who has the interview in Prog magazine confirm that?

I guess the thinking is that they need something newish that they could sell on the tour and this is probably something that could be done relatively quick.

When are these remake albums going to stop? It's just a money grab by artists from 40 years ago who have lost their creativity. I want no part of it.

I like old Camel as much as the next guy, but just let it be, PLEASE!

OK, my rant is over. Thanks for tolerating it.

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    When are these remake albums going to stop? It's just a money grab by artists from 40 years ago who have lost their creativity. I want no part of it.

Agreed!

I don't get it. Why mess with perfection? Oh well. I'd like to hear it anyway.

I agree with the above post except that I think some of the later Camel albums(I never heard the last one)were very good.

That's not the only reason. Many artists such as Journey, Foreigner & Def Leppard to name a few have had to re-recorded some of their back catalogue because greedy record labels were ripping them off. Re-recording them gives some control & money back to the artists!

Not sure if this is the reason Latimer has re-recorded TSG though. Personally I would preferred to have waited for a new live recording with the extended/new bits added in !

There were successful remakes in the history of prog (and music)... starting with classical composers.

But as for prog and related genres - maybe only Kayak - Merlin immediately comes to mind... anything else?
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Quote Originally Posted by Azol View Post
    There were successful remakes in the history of prog (and music)... starting with classical composers.

But as for prog and related genres - maybe only Kayak - Merlin immediately comes to mind... anything else?
    Can't think of any but they are never going to be commercially as successful as back in their hey day.
    I think Journey's re-recording of their greatest hits charted though & Rick Wakeman's recently re-recorded JTTCOTE didn't do too bad by all accounts! Cerytainly enough to give him & promoters the confidence to stage an arena tour next year.

Did Mike Oldfield re-record Tubular Bells a couple of years back , if so how did that sell?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    From what I have heard he did mention in the interview that he is also working on an album with new material for release in 2014. Can anyone who has the interview in Prog magazine confirm that?

I guess the thinking is that they need something newish that they could sell on the tour and this is probably something that could be done relatively quick.
    Yes, it is in the interview about a new album. You can never really be sure on when it will be realised though, but planned for 2014.

I guess with the new Snow Goose, they think we may like a recording of the line-up doing the tour.

George Lucas keeps popping up in my head.

RHAYADER SHOT FIRST
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Hey, it could have been something on the order of "The Snow Goose Rides Again - Part Dieux (or maybe part duck)", like Ian Anderson did recently with TAAB. Instead he went for a re-recording like Steve Hacket on his Genesis II CD.

I do like the idea of an artist re-imagining their old work (although Oldfield took this into rediculous territory) but I do expect and appreciate updates and changes and not just a pure re-recording with new equipment and techniques.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Snow Goose Revenue Stream & Tour Support. Pick this one up at the merch table, and then pick up the live CD/DVDs a few months after the show. It makes Andy's world go round.

Is it not remotely possible he's doing this because he thinks its a great work in the Camel catalog but he feels that over the course of nearly 40 years that improvements in the realization of it could be made? Could his motivation be artistic, to get closer to what was in his head as he conceived the music?

Nah, that's crazy talk. Sorry.

Most ridiculous post I have ever read here since 2003. If you think that re-recording The Snow Goose is a money grab,then you need to re-think the logic. Camel has never been a wealthy band in the same way as the superstars of music have been. It's all about the art and integrity with Andrew. He realizes that the recording techniques of 1975 were extremely primitive compared to today's and he stated he wanted to improve the listening experience. Money grab, I don't think so. Nobody is forcing you to buy it you know?

What's wrong with the original? Doesn't it make more sense just to simply record the reworked version live and release it that way?

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    What's wrong with the original? Doesn't it make more sense just to simply record the reworked version live and release it that way?
    As I see it, this was partly done to have something new to sell on the tour besides backcatalogue and shirts. In that light it does make sense to tackle something like this. And they might not even have plans to record this tour live.

Considering what Andy has gone through over the last 10 years and with the fact that it looked very possible that we would never get any new recordings or live shows from Camel, I am thrilled and very interested to hear anything the guy has newly recorded. For whatever reason, he wanted to re-record the Snow Goose and I celebrate it. If you are not interested, best that I can tell,he isn't twisting anyone's arm to buy it. As far as the theory of it being a money grab, come on. Considering that it has been 10 years since the last Camel album, there may be more interest and higher sales with a new album. Pretty unfair in my opinion to accuse the guy of a money grab at this point if the game. I will buy the re-recorded Snow Goose and will be celebratory about the fact that I am listening to something that Andy Latimer recorded in 2013. Think of it as an appetizer or gift to hold you over until the brand new Camel album is released next year. If you read the full article, Andy talks about how it is still sometimes tough for him to play the guitar due to pain in his hands, but he fights through it. At times, even recently , he has thought about hanging it up, but ultimately he wants to keep playing and is really excited about making music again. As far as I am concerned, anything we get from Andy at this point is a gift worth celebrating.

Thanks for the news that an album of new material is on the way. Great!

It's sort of like Rush reworking Vapor Trails... Geddy didn't like it the way it was mixed and wanted to hear it the way he envisioned it the first time. I'll buy it again for sure.