Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Camel re-records "The Snow Goose"

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    If you think the re-recording of The Snow Goose is a bad idea, then the easy answer is to not listen to it. Personally, I am anxious to buy a copy and I look forward to hearing it.
    It was supposed to be on sale by now wasn't it? Glad I got it at a show anyway. It's lovely! Don't get me wrong though, I love the original and the new.

Is there a **HUGE** difference?????

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Is there a **HUGE** difference?????
    Not really, but worth getting. Keyboards replace orchestra, and the extended bits are a really nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Squigelyfox View Post
    It was supposed to be on sale by now wasn't it? Glad I got it at a show anyway. It's lovely! Don't get me wrong though, I love the original and the new.
    Yes, I thought so. I hope it goes on sale soon as I am looking forward to hearing it. I never have much of a problem with these things and am always interested in hearing classic works re-recorded with modern technology. In truth, what Andy did is really not a whole lot different than what Steve Hackett just did with Genesis Revisited 2. They are both the only musicians on the new recordings who were part of the originals. Funny that there are people who are being critical of Andy, but I haven't seen the same kind of criticism thrown at Steve. At this point, I would be happy to hear Andy record the phone book. Personally, my only issue with these kinds of things, is that I would rather the artist spend the time writing and recording new material than revisiting the past. On one hand, Steve's huge Genesis Revisited tour has given many people a chance to see him play live. That said, it will ultimately be a year and a half that Steve could have spent recording new music. I really liked his last few albums and it seems the momentum was broken a bit to spend so much time celebrating the past. I am sure it was lucrative though and filled up a lot of seats all over the world. Plus, it was a good show, so I am not complaining too much. Spending a long time touring the new Snow Goose won't be an issue though as Camel won't tour to the extent that Steve has.

For those who are interested, we have it in stock

http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...-spc-0014.aspx
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    Yes, I thought so. I hope it goes on sale soon as I am looking forward to hearing it. I never have much of a problem with these things and am always interested in hearing classic works re-recorded with modern technology. In truth, what Andy did is really not a whole lot different than what Steve Hackett just did with Genesis Revisited 2. They are both the only musicians on the new recordings who were part of the originals. Funny that there are people who are being critical of Andy, but I haven't seen the same kind of criticism thrown at Steve. At this point, I would be happy to hear Andy record the phone book. Personally, my only issue with these kinds of things, is that I would rather the artist spend the time writing and recording new material than revisiting the past. On one hand, Steve's huge Genesis Revisited tour has given many people a chance to see him play live. That said, it will ultimately be a year and a half that Steve could have spent recording new music. I really liked his last few albums and it seems the momentum was broken a bit to spend so much time celebrating the past. I am sure it was lucrative though and filled up a lot of seats all over the world. Plus, it was a good show, so I am not complaining too much. Spending a long time touring the new Snow Goose won't be an issue though as Camel won't tour to the extent that Steve has.
    I have had a moan about what Steve H is doing, though not much on here. I don't like it because Steve left Genesis to do his own stuff, or that's what I thought anyway! So it's worse because Andy didn't leave Camel.

Quote Originally Posted by Squigelyfox View Post
    I have had a moan about what Steve H is doing, though not much on here. I don't like it because Steve left Genesis to do his own stuff, or that's what I thought anyway! So it's worse because Andy didn't leave Camel.
    That's a good point. It's also a bit of a bummer that a lot more people go to see Steve playing old Genesis songs than would go to see him performing his own catalog of the last 35 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    For those who are interested, we have it in stock

http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...-spc-0014.aspx
    Thanks for the info. I have to hear what Andy has done.

Must admit that I really dont get any critisism over an artist reworking an album that he helped to create in the first place.

After all it is not as though the original is being discontinued.

I saw The Snow Goose performed live during the mid 70's and this new version the other week. Yes I love the original but both gigs were incredible.

And if it makes a guy, who has been ill for the best part of 10 years, a few bob then fine I am delighted for him.

If you dont like the idea dont buy it - no one will think any less of you for it.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Sacrilege! All remake albums suck by default. Especially landmark works.
    Although (obviously) it's not a studio re-working, disc 2 of "A Live Record" proves that landmark albums can be improved on. The live version is much better than the studio version IMO.

Then again, it was the first version I heard so...

Anyone prefer the original studio version over the live version?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Have to admit I don't think I've ever given a full listen to A Live Record for some reason. Need to pull it out and have a listen, then get the new Snow Goose.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Have to admit I don't think I've ever given a full listen to A Live Record for some reason. Need to pull it out and have a listen, then get the new Snow Goose.
    The 2LP (vinyl) release was one of the first records I owned. I still love it today. I am not so fond of the most recent expanded 2CD edition - it's got loads of extra material - great too (much of it) - but I miss the original running order.

Yeah, I'm glad they put out the expanded A Live Record, but honestly, the extra material isn't quite up to par with the original. It just doesn't sound quite as tight, and the whole album sounds kinda watered down as a result. It's still Camel, though, and I still love it.
    flute juice

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I actually have the reissued CD as well as the original release, so I'll hold on to both.