Thread: New Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford interview in Uncut

New Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford interview in Uncut

Saw this below the KC article everyone is talking about:

http://www.uncut.co.uk/genesis/genes...-uncut-feature

Not very long -- just the two of them reminiscing a bit. Not much I haven't seen elsewhere, but at least they're still willing to talk about the old days.

Yep, definitely nothing new there - but I'm always happy to read/hear them reminiscing about my favourite music ever. Thanks for posting!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Cut and dry, THE END-
    **TB: Having done “Supper’s Ready” (the 23-minute song on Foxtrot) we decided we wanted to go for a concept album, and make a double album (The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway). We agreed the concept, which Peter came up with. Then he said that he really wanted to write all the lyrics, which was difficult for us because we’d always split all the lyrics among us all.

MR: Did I understand it? Not really.

TB: About halfway through, Peter got an offer from William Friedkin to write a film script, and he said he wanted to put the whole thing on hold for a month. And we said, “we don’t want to do that, we don’t really want to wait on anybody”. The attitude of the group was that we were very much a group of equals, and we didn’t want to do something for just one person.
    So he left.**

Just kind of matter-of-fact "So he left." Stirring moment in the annals of prog.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post

TB: About halfway through, Peter got an offer from William Friedkin to write a film script, and he said he wanted to put the whole thing on hold for a month.
    With pace PG releases his albums, I somehow doubt he'd have accomplished writing a script in a months time

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    With pace PG releases his albums, I somehow doubt he'd have accomplished writing a script in a months time

BG
    Brian, we're talking about Peter's days in Genesis(not his solo career).

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Brian, we're talking about Peter's days in Genesis(not his solo career).
    Doesn't change what a perfectionist he is.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Ok he left .. But where is the film ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post

BG
    I don't think he was supposed to write the whole script for Friedkin. I think he was going to help him come up with ideas for a film.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Just kind of matter-of-fact "So he left." Stirring moment in the annals of prog.
    And that's classic Tony Banks. This is why I've always suspected he's somewhere on the spectrum around Asperger's Syndrome.

Strange interview. No questions. Only answers.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    And that's classic Tony Banks. This is why I've always suspected he's somewhere on the spectrum around Asperger's Syndrome.
    I have no opinion on that diagnosis.

But, I have always been amazed at Banks' scary precision. From what I've seen/heard of their live performances, did Banks ever miss a note? The guy just seems like a robot, playing these extraordinarily complex pieces with emotionless perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    For years I was a huge fan of Peter's and I still love his work all the way to Up. The last 10 years though have really disappointed me. Peter has always been forward thinking, but in this last decade he has been anything but. The whole Scratch My Back era did nothing for me and the So tour, though entertaining was really just a rehashing of the past. For a guy who was so creative in his career, it has been a bummer to see him rest on his laurels. I guess considering the lack of output from other members of Genesis in the same timeframe, I should be happy Peter is doing anything. Regardless, Peter went from being an artist who I awaited his new music with great anticipation to one who has made me say "meh" pretty consistently for the last 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    For years I was a huge fan of Peter's and I still love his work all the way to Up. The last 10 years though have really disappointed me. Peter has always been forward thinking, but in this last decade he has been anything but. The whole Scratch My Back era did nothing for me and the So tour, though entertaining was really just a rehashing of the past. For a guy who was so creative in his career, it has been a bummer to see him rest on his laurels. I guess considering the lack of output from other members of Genesis in the same timeframe, I should be happy Peter is doing anything. Regardless, Peter went from being an artist who I awaited his new music with great anticipation to one who has made me say "meh" pretty consistently for the last 10 years.
    Agrer !!! PG's output since UP has been below par & far less then perfect
    Artistically his well is dry ¡

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Agrer !!! PG's output since UP has been below par & far less then perfect
    Artistically his well is dry ¡
    It shouldn't even be called, "Peter Gabriel"

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    I have no opinion on that diagnosis.

But, I have always been amazed at Banks' scary precision. From what I've seen/heard of their live performances, did Banks ever miss a note? The guy just seems like a robot, playing these extraordinarily complex pieces with emotionless perfection.
    I get a different feel. I find Banks' music very emotional, although his persona is not. Its as if he channels it all into his music. Technically he is not perfect and has stated that he isn't always good at timing. Though I admit, that's probably when compared to Kerry Minnear, who I never knew of ever missing a note.

I like the last bit where Rutherford's son turns to him and says "Dad, you guys were weird"!

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    But, I have always been amazed at Banks' scary precision. From what I've seen/heard of their live performances, did Banks ever miss a note?
    The rare few times i've heard him miss notes or play the wrong ones (make a clam;-)) in concert seem to be occasionally in the extended synth solo from The Cinema Show (but that might have had more to do with tuning issues with the synth rather than his actual playing?). And they did also drop the piano intro to Firth Of Fifth live after a few times of Tony playing it on the electric piano in 1973 (or maybe early '74), but again, that might have had more to do with the issues/difficulties of playing it on an electric piano live rather than the acoustic heard on the original SEbtP version.