Thread: Attention Egg fans!

Attention Egg fans!

Fans of Egg may well have heard of the Rascal Reporters who included some big Egg references in some of their music. Well they've just released a complete concert from their very early days when they were still in High School and going by the name of Pigling Bland. With a organ/bass/drums lineup they played six self-composed pieces which all sound very like Egg. Considering their youth and the circumstances of the recording, this is very well played and very well recorded.

Just imagine someone's stumbled across a stash of old Egg material that never got released -this is what it might have sounded like.
    http://rascalreporters.bandcamp.com/...park-high-1976

Download in progress...

Downloading, as I'm a huge fan of both Egg and Rascal Reporters.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Very interesting. How did the two Steves come across obscurities like Egg or Picchio dal Pozzo in the 70s US?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Very interesting. How did the two Steves come across obscurities like Egg or Picchio dal Pozzo in the 70s US?
    There's a great (or "funny" or "embarrassing," depending on your point of view!) interview with the band in 1976 that's a bonus track on Elegant Decay. Sounds like Harmony House had an imports section, but I don't know the mechanics of how these KIDS got hipped to Henry Cow, et al, in the first place. Steve Gore was collecting bootlegs & British news clippings of Henry Cow in the mid-70s, and was receiving Ralph Records catalogs by his senior year of high school. When did Eurock Magazine first appear, anyone know?

-Brian D.

There was a full page ad in 'Melody Maker' for Henry Cow's Leg End. This must have been around 1973 and I was excited to hear this record. So I bought it and the first Hatfield and my discovery of Egg led from there.

Btw, thanks Alan for mentioning our group and starting this thread!

Man, you kids were tight!

Whose parents did you drive crazy with the rehearsals?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Steve Gore's parents! They were great about letting us rehearse in the basement, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mx20 View Post
    When did Eurock Magazine first appear, anyone know?
    March 1973.

There were plenty of us turned on to Egg from 1970 on -- NME and Melody Maker both featured them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    well, i bought their first album as an import shortly after it came out in 1970 (along with many other obscurities) so... it's not that hard

as for the two Steves - they were an unusual and precocious bunch, those guys. simply brilliant work there, Dr. Kretz.

DEFINITELY GET THE NEW ALBUMS they're both fantastic. especially fun to hear the Pigling Bland tracks. very cool
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    There were plenty of us turned on to Egg from 1970 on -- NME and Melody Maker both featured them.
    Yes, come to think of it, even a fairly well known act like Fireballet actually paraphrased a passage from the last movement of Egg's "Long Piece no. 3" on that Bald Mountain album of theirs.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Thanks. Love both bands.

Its been interesting to hear how you heard of bands like Egg back in 1970 and thereafter. I'm in the UK and heard them on the John Peel show and went out looking for them, but they weren't very visible even here. I lived near Brighton which had several small record shops who specialized in the 'underground' music of the day and I bought 'Polite Force' at one of these, and then I chanced upon their first album in the sports shop in my local town which had a single rack of mixed LPs and for some reason most of the Deram label offerings were there alongside compilations of top 20 hits and brass band music. I also bought Melody Maker every week so I was aware of bands like this but buying them was a different matter -there were no mail order companies at that time and no bands sold direct -I think the first time I bought that way was when the ex VDGG members sold their 'Long Hello' record through a small ad in Melody Maker. I didn't know Melody maker and NME were available in the US at that time though, so I guess hearing about all the new bands at a distance must have been quite exciting. I read about Soft Machine and thought they sounded interesting but it was a while before I actually heard them as their first album was only available on expensive import from America! Same with VDGG's first album oddly enough.

Thank you for bringing this band to my attention. I will check them out more thoroughly. So far they sound like something I'd really enjoy.