Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ambient

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Sometimes I don't want melody, harmony, symphony, vocals or prominent instrumentation. Sometimes I just want ambient soundscapes, especially when I'm working on things in the garage. Last night in the garage I listened on an electronica radio prog to all of Eno's Lux followed on the same prog by several pieces from Moby's Innocents - as a sneak preview treat in advance of release, which is on 30th Sept.

So any more ambient suggestions in that vein? No vocals, no guitars, no tunes.
    Hey Peter,

I've been listening to ambient music for about 30-35 years and have over 1200 "ambient" CD's so I think I can make some great suggestions. Keep in mind though that your enjoyment of these will naturally depend on what activity you are involved with while listening. If you're doing garage work etc, you may miss some of the great "deep ambient" releases because of their subtleties which would be best listened to in a quiet room and/or with headphones and so on.

My favorite artists for ambient:

BRIAN ENO---still great after all these years! Try On Land, Music For Airports, The Plateau of Mirror, The Pearl, Thursday Afternoon, The Shutov Assembly for starters.

STEVE ROACH--tons to like here---my favorite is still Dreamtime Return but many others come to mind like World's Edge, Darkest Before Dawn and Serpent's Lair just to name a few.

ROBERT RICH--like Steve Roach very prolific and a wide variety of styles from mellow and drifty to tribal and darker.

DAVID PARSONS---awesome stuff. He's from New Zealand and highly influenced by his travels through India, Tibet and Nepal, adapting these influences to his other-worldly soundscapes.

JEFF GREINKE--another amazing artist who's music ranges from quiet and industrial-influence to dynamic with use of percussion etc. His band LAND is also very good, leaning a bit more to world-influenced fusion.

DANNA & CLEMENT--from Ontario Canada, these two guys have done about 10 albums together of dreamy soundscapes, often with subtle nature sounds. Check out SUMMERLAND, their best, especially the 25-minute track To The Land Beneath The Waves. Wow!

JON HASSELL--a little different but also great! Hassell is deeply influenced by third world rhythms and uses electronics and effects on a multitude of sounds, most notably his trumpet which he refers to as "mutant trumpet". Try Dream Theory in Malaya or Power Spot for two of his best!

ZOVIET FRANCE/REFORMED FACTION/RAPOON--these three all tie together and the common denominator is Robin Storey from England who is one of the co-founders of the now-defunct Zoviet France. After they called it quits around 1992/93, he started releasing albums under the moniker Rapoon(I have approximately 90 CD's from these two) and now having gotten back together with Mark Spybey(formerly of Zoviet France) is releasing music under the name Reformed Faction. Their music leans more towards and experimental edge but don't let that scare you away as there is a wealth of GREAT! music here. Storey's music is like a dreamy trip to unexplored places much like the great ambient albums of the past such as Brian Eno's On Land. If you want to start anywhere, try his latest album "To West And Blue", which I can not stop listening to since I got it last week. Absolutely incredible!

DEUTER---started out as psychedelic with the album "D" but quickly changed to meditative, ambient with keyboards, guitars, sitars, bells,chimes,flutes,percussion etc. He has over 40 releases and lately has drifted toward the new-age "healing" type stuff which can be a little schmalzy, HOWEVER, you need to check out early releases such as AUM, ECSTACY and HALEAKALA, all of which have an incredible spiritual ambient quality that I've rarely found on any release!

BIOSPHERE---real name is Peir Genssen(?) and his music is incredible, evoking the desolate area of his homeland in Scandinavia but with a strange kind of warmth. Best albums are "Substrata", "Cirque" and "Dropsonde" but many others are great!

The above are pretty much my most-listened to.

Here are some other names that I feel are superior to most of the stuff out there: Mathias Grassow, Amir Baghiri, Tuu, Nemesis, Viridian Sun, Ma Ja Le, Harold Budd, Thomas Koener, Fatagaga, O Yuki Conjugate, Aeolian String Ensemble, A Produce, Vidna Obmana, Thom Brennan,David Hykes,Alio Die, Loscil, Jorge Reyes, Lammmergeyer, Labradford, Pan American, Loren Nerell, Forest Fang, Paul Schutze, Carl Weingarten, Stephan Micus and MANY more.

Hope this helps. If you need any other recommendations, PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by srtd4 View Post
    So, the Best Ambient Radio station: StillStream Internet Radio
    http://www.stillstream.com
    All Ambient 24/7 365 days a year
    We also have Live Programs, so check out the Programs & Schedule on the
    main page. Also have a Chat room where allot of the ambient artists visit and
    discuss their music and answer all questions related to their music.
    Also check out the Web Ambient music label " Earth Mantra " All free for download,
    no membership required.
    http://www.earthmantra.com
    Pay special attention to the artists " Tange ", " Palancar", " Lucette Bourdin " so much
    drifting/ambient/space music.

I'm sure you will find so much music in the style you're looking for.

Enjoy,
    Scott
    Thanks Scott, I will investigate & get back to you with a verdict.

Wow, Birdy! Thanks for all those great tips, I am steadily working my way through them.

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Bulldozer View Post
    If I was to listen to one of all the above during my once a week Kundalini torture session, I would have given up long ago. When I hear the following tune, I know that I'll get through the five minutes of 'camel ride'...

Coincidentally, back in the late 80s I started listening to Medwyn Goodall's new age albums, I loved them back then. I've still got Druid, Merlin and Medicine Woman.

http://youtu.be/8iNjgIds2VY

Only about half the track here.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    That low, droning, rumbling, industrial, sewers, far off voices, bits of music stuff by Jeff Greinke is most definitely where I'm at in my ambient interest, more of that sort of stuff please.

Nice for what it is, but the whole meditative, yoga, buddha type of new age/relaxation music is not my cup of tea at all.

Nice, but again not really my bag, too much identifiable jazz bits and world music bits in there for me.

That low, droning, rumbling, industrial, sewers, far off voices, bits of music stuff by Jeff Greinke is most definitely where I'm at in my ambient interest, more of that sort of stuff please.
    You should definitely get into the Rapoon stuff then!

Oh Zoviet France, where have you been all my life? Thank you Birdy, home run! Love it!

Nice, but again not really my bag, too much identifiable jazz bits and world music bits in there for me.
    Starting to get the idea of where you're at right now. The genre is classified as "dark ambient". With this genre, some is just "dark" or "mysterious" while some ventures into more "disturbing" even "ritualistic" area which I don't particularly like per se.

Oh Zoviet France, where have you been all my life? Thank you Birdy, home run! Love it!
    Yup! Amazing stuff. DEFINITELY Rapoon's latest(or any) you'd like. It's GREAT headphone music.

You should definitely get into the Rapoon stuff then!
    You're so kind providing so many links that I missed Rapoon first time round, but I've now found it & am now lisntening to it. Bloody fantastic, definitely my taste.

As for the Deuter Ecstasy, sorry but it sounded to me like poorly played new age synth then some acoustic guitar came in on top of it, not my bag at all.

Man, this Rapoon is fugging brilliant!!!!! I've got cans on, so I'm getting the full effect.

Starting to get the idea of where you're at right now. The genre is classified as "dark ambient". With this genre, some is just "dark" or "mysterious" while some ventures into more "disturbing" even "ritualistic" area which I don't particularly like per se.
    Yea, definitely man, that's it, you've hit the nail on the head, the darker, drony, disturbing stuff. Which I suppose is primarily non-melodic soundscape stuff that doesn't make me think things like new age, jazz, african, american indian, clannad, synth folk.

Yea, definitely man, that's it, you've hit the nail on the head, the darker, drony, disturbing stuff. Which I suppose is primarily non-melodic soundscape stuff that doesn't make me think things like new age, jazz, african, american indian, clannad, synth folk.
    RAPOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gotta go, good luck. PM me if you need any more recommends.

Thanks again.

You're so kind providing so many links that I missed Rapoon first time round, but I've now found it & am now lisntening to it. Bloody fantastic, definitely my taste.

As for the Deuter Ecstasy, sorry but it sounded to me like poorly played new age synth then some acoustic guitar came in on top of it, not my bag at all.

Man, this Rapoon is fugging brilliant!!!!! I've got cans on, so I'm getting the full effect.
    No problem! I'm currently going through all my Rapoon CD's at home every night(about 50!) and just got "caught up" by ordering about 5 that I was missing from Robin Storey direct. Amazing trips!