Thread: RIP Jackie Lomax

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

RIP Jackie Lomax

Jackie Lomax died in his sleep Sept 15 at age 69. This was my favorite song by him:

Rest in peace.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The recording of "Sour Milk Sea" is notable for being the first of many extracurricular musical projects produced by Harrison, and a rarity among non-Beatles songs in that it features three members of the band. Along with Harrison, Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney, the backing musicians on the track were Eric Clapton and session pianist Nicky Hopkins.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 09-19-2013 at 08:50 PM.

A career with some left turns, to be sure. I remember looking high-&-low for that Heavy Jelly LP back in the daze.

RIP Jackie
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Time to spin that Badger album... White Lady
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    A career with some left turns, to be sure. I remember looking high-&-low for that Heavy Jelly LP back in the daze.

RIP Jackie
    That was his best stuff, but it took forever to see the light of day.

His version of 'Sour Milk Sea' is like a lost Beatles track due to the personnel, it would have fit on the 'white album' easily. I remember seeing some old clip of his band The Undertakers filmed in the 60s, with a very young Jackie Lomax.

The Heavy Jelly song I know is the obvious 'I Keep Singing That Same Old Song'...was he on that?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The Heavy Jelly song I know is the obvious 'I Keep Singing That Same Old Song'...was he on that?
    No, that was essentially Skip Bifferty's thing. I first heard it on the Island sampler Nice Enough To Eat. A great song though, and John Morshead was a good guitarist...
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    His version of 'Sour Milk Sea' is like a lost Beatles track due to the personnel, it would have fit on the 'white album' easily. I remember seeing some old clip of his band The Undertakers filmed in the 60s, with a very young Jackie Lomax.

Look for a CD titled "The Eagle Laughs at you". It has all the Lomax stuff, including a couple cuts from the Lomax Alliance circa 1967

Sour Milk Sea was written by George Harrison. It sounds a lot like a reworked Savoy Truffle but without the swell Beatles vocals!