Thread: FEATURED CD: However - Sudden Dusk

FEATURED CD: However - Sudden Dusk

Today's feature suggestion comes from Scrotum Scissor. This group had a pair of lesser known quirky avantish Canterbury-esque styled releases back in the day.

Review from ProgArchives (Cesar Inca):
    However never received a proper support from the music industry nor a proper recording contract - just one of those myriad of capital sins committed against good prog music. That explains the fact that this album is basically a collection of tracks written through the mid 1970s through 1981, and recorded in 1980-1981: so, eventually these victims of oblivion managed to get their material out in the market as a testimony of their musical genius. Bassist/keyboardist Peter Princiotto appears to be the band's leader, since he writes most of the material comprised here, and is usually the busiest instrumentalist; but this is not someone's band, but a well-oiled ensemble that functions fluidly as a unit, with a clear sense of purpose and unhidden enthusiasm. The absolute proficiency shown in the guitar and reed solos, together with the exquisite precision of the rhythm section, make this repertoire attractive despite its intricacy and somewhat recurrent inclusion of dissonance and challenging counterpoints.

Main influences are Gentle Giant, early Henry Cow, 72-74 Zappa, and Hatfield & the North; there's also an exquisite flavor at times similar to that of Happy the Man. But at the end of the day, the thing is that However's sound is not merely a melting pot of foreign ideas, since it is clear that the band achieves their own voice. The opening cut 'It's Good Fun' is precisely good fun, both appealing and complex, if only a bit too short - it could have gone places had it been developed further. Anyway, it's catchy enough to keep the listener alert to what's yet to come. After the brief interlude 'Hardt', 'In the Aisles' brings back the funny vibe and keeps it working on. 'Louise Sitting on a Chair' stands out as a captivating piece of beautiful music wrapped under a delicate veil of solemnity - oh, that piano, and that soprano sax,.. and those subtle touches on bass guitar and cello... just like a siesta in the realms of a peaceful universe. This same calm beauty will be later refurbished in the acoustic guitar duet titled 'In the Midst of Making', a piece of dreamy moods that also features mesmeric soprano sax flourishes and soft singing. 'Beese' and 'No Cows' show the band at their most aggressive and dissonant, something like a compromise between jazz-rock and Canterbury style with a RIO-esque twist: these are the tracks where all musicians' virtuosity meets its most challenging expression, which is obviously due to the dearly complex nature of the writing and arranging processes. On the other hand, the title track is constructed as a Frippian guitar soundscape supported by somber synth layers and mysterious nuances of fuzz guitar, fretless bass, recorder and sax. The result is really disturbing, despite its reflective mood (as opposed to scary). 'Lamplight' and 'Trees for the Forest' are the jazziest numbers in the album, while 'Grandfather Was the Driver' is a very Zappa-esque combination of country and Eastern exotic stuff. It's a shame that this repertoire, as amazing and splendorous as it is, has been so overlooked for so long: thanks to the CD technology, there is a chance that "Sudden Dusk" may be acknowledged by progheads all over the world as what it is - a musical testimony of pure excellence. This a real unique prog masterpiece: However is USA prog at its very best!!

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Definitely among my fave 10-15 progressive albums from the 80s. Clear cut melodies struck by profoundly intricate dissonance which still only enhances the flow of song. This is arguably what it would have sounded like if members from Gentle Giant and Henry Cow joined forces ultimo 1976 - although unlikely a merger.

And some truly killer playing as well.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Great album that I only discovered this year after reading the PE thread on Ameriprog.

Henry Cow, Gentle Giant and Happy the Man influences here.

Some really pretty stuff on this!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Definitely some of the best prog of the 80s.

Good album, but not the masterpiece for me that it is for some here. I largely enjoy it when I spin it, but I don't find any of it especially memorable and at the moment I can't call up much of it in my head other than the "beeeeeeessss" vocal. So not high on the "memorable melody" chart in my book. I also find it a bit "fussy," they never seem to just cut loose. Probably should tee it up for a fresh listen, it's been ages since I heard it.

IIRC, the bonus track on the original CD is pretty cool and it was left of the re-release a few years ago. Too bad.

Bill
    Last edited by Sputnik; 09-19-2013 at 01:46 PM.

Really great album, enjoyed sharing a table with Peter at Nearfest a while back.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I have and enjoy this on vinyl, one of my first mail-order releases from Wayside back in the early '90s iirc. great Canturbury vibe.

Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Yet another band I've never heard of...from the comparisions I'm reading here, sounds like it will be right up my alley. Must seek this out ASAP.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Just spun it, inspired by this thread. Funny, hadn't played this for some time and when I've glanced at it the last few times I've thought it could go into my "sell" pile. Now, after listening to it today, my thought is..."this is a keeper"! Great stuff. And that bonus cut on the Kinesis edition is indeed very good.

The first song on the disc says it all...."It's Good Fun".

I don't have this album, but I have the other one, The Calling, that they did. Good album, with lots of different kinds of sounds. Back in the 90's, I had a penpal who put a track from, I think, Sudden Dusk, on a mix tape he sent me, remarking "These guys sure don't sound like they're from Virginia!"

Fantastic album, there wasn't much what could stand up against it at it's time.

Although it was just a "leftover" release I also love their second one "Calling".

This brings back memories of early days with the band (who lived, literally, in-the-neighborhood). Nice stuff, indeed!

Excellent album. I listened to this about a month ago and was reminded of The Muffins a few times.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I have this album and dig it enough, but it has never really "done" it for me. Perhaps I should pull it out and see if it starts doing the trick.

Funny, but I first heard of this band on XM, probably one of the few progressive bands that I had never heard of. I recently found the CD in a used CD shop. Haven't listened that deep, but sounds pretty decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    This is arguably what it would have sounded like if members from Gentle Giant and Henry Cow joined forces ultimo 1976 - although unlikely a merger.
    "In The Aisles" is my favorite However track. A really powerful, fun tune!

*Digression alert: with regards to Mr. Scissor's comments above, this is my chance to mention (on the MAIN FORUM!) the forthcoming Rascal Reporters archival sets being released next week; one album is their attempt at merging Egg/Gentle Giant/Henry Cow, live, at their high school talent show in 1976! /end disgression*

Back to However, I need to spin Calling again soon; like someone else mentioned, it never clicked with me.

BD

Quote Originally Posted by mx20 View Post
    I need to spin Calling again soon; like someone else mentioned, it never clicked with me.
    Ironically, the overt diversity of that album is one of the things rendering its inconsistancy. There's some phenomenal material ("Stop Sign", "On the Face of the World", "Wild/Cold With Monotony" - and the extras on the CD version like "What Goes Around" or "Into the Dance"), but also some rather anonymous sounding stuff that never appealed to me whatsoever. Absolutely worth it for the GOOD tunes, though.

As for the Rascal Reporters, I listened quite extensively to three of their albums only last weekend - We're God, Happy Accidents (classic!) and The Foul-Tempered Clavier. They are all as equally brilliant as they are genuinely eccentric to the bone, and the duo itself deserves a lot more attention from "complex rock" listeners.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    As for the Rascal Reporters, I listened quite extensively to three of their albums only last weekend - We're God, Happy Accidents (classic!) and The Foul-Tempered Clavier. They are all as equally brilliant as they are genuinely eccentric to the bone, and the duo itself deserves a lot more attention from "complex rock" listeners.
    You've inspired me to grab Calling for my morning commute!

Rascal Reporters: I must admit it's exciting to have all known reels of RR master tape (plus a host of cassettes, CDRs, DATs, etc) at my home, awaiting digital transfer for the Permanent RRkive, with some (ok, many) recordings getting mixed/remixed for release on Bandcamp. Its a time-consuming hobby, but they're my favorite American band of all time. I don't know why. It's a mental defect, I reckon.

This Non-Pomp-Ameri-Prog discussion has got me wondering about another band: anyone remember Radio Piece III?
    I have a cassette somewhere...

I got exposed to all three of the above listed bands + French TV all at the same time; I've been a nervous wreck ever
    since...

Apologies if I de-railed this However thread too much...

-Brian D.

Quote Originally Posted by mx20 View Post
    anyone remember Radio Piece III? [...] I have a cassette somewhere... [...] Apologies if I de-railed this However thread too much...
    I don't think it's a matter of derailing, as there's a somewhat "logical" bond with the admittedly very scarce groups of US acts doing the "Canterbury thing". IIRC, Radio Piece III, like RReporters, actually made a lot more recordings than were eventually released. They had that one very good "official" album on ZNR Records, but I've got other stuff by them lying around on CD-Rs given to me by various contacts through the years. And yes - interesting band.

I suppose what separated However (and their triplet compatriot Virginia colleagues Grits, Happy the Man and The Muffins) from some of these even more obscure names, was the somewhat more obvious "professionalism" of their sound. And especially with Sudden Dusk, which for the most part succeeds in steering away from the clinical digitalism already starting to affect rock recordings by the early 80s.

Same sweet melodies, some fusion, very well executed...one of most underappreciated modern American progressive albums…and that was in 80s!!! …Recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Good album, but not the masterpiece for me that it is for some here. I largely enjoy it when I spin it, but I don't find any of it especially memorable and at the moment I can't call up much of it in my head other than the "beeeeeeessss" vocal. So not high on the "memorable melody" chart in my book. I also find it a bit "fussy," they never seem to just cut loose. Probably should tee it up for a fresh listen, it's been ages since I heard it.
    Mirrors my sentiments pretty well. I still have it and probably should give it another try or two. I never disliked it, but it wasn't something I felt compelled to get intimately familiar with either.