Thread: The Mark Kelly Appreciation Thread

Banned

The Mark Kelly Appreciation Thread

The recent Fish thread has got me on a Marillion kick. I'm playing the whole catalog on random. Mark's contribution really stands out on damn near everything. Would Marillion even exist without this guy?

Count me in.

Though I wish he would solo more than he does. He's not Wakeman, but some of the "quicker" stuff like on "Incommunicado" came off very well, IMO.

But no doubt that he's a master of atmosphere and mood.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Count me in.

Though I wish he would solo more than he does. He's not Wakeman, but some of the "quicker" stuff like on "Incommunicado" came off very well, IMO.

But no doubt that he's a master of atmosphere and mood.
    Agree with both points. I usually don't prefer the whole "atmosphere and mood" thing from keyboard players, but when done this well, I can really enjoy it.

Mark is a first rate human being. Super nice hombre.

To be brutally honest, though, I consider him a middling-quality keyboard player in the prog spectrum (which isn't really fair considering the company). That said, I tend to like Marillion music better when he comes to the fore. I think that's one reason Marbles is so strong, for example.

I think he's underrated these days. Sounds That Can't Be Made has his stamp all over it and sounds great as a result... he used to be acknowledged a lot more in the days of those "Incommunicado" style keyboard lines (and I like that stuff too), but by and large people don't tend to notice what he adds to Marillion's sound now. It's funny to read comments from time to time regarding the h-era that point out how good Mark sounded on "Interior Lulu", a piece that harkens back to those earlier days... a good musician doesn't - and shouldn't - need to solo to be noticed. I've seen him live ten times and he adds a tremendous amount to their sound and show. An equal member of the band in every way.

I've also met him several times and he's a nice guy. This past March, he came out to the bar where a bunch of us were meeting on the Thursday night prior to Marillion Weekend in Montreal and hung out and drank with us all for hours! Rothery too. Although I think I put Mark Kelly off a bit when I came out of the bathroom at one point, saw him and Rothery next to each other and exclaimed "Geez, where's the rhythm section when you need them?" LOL! It was supposed to be a joke. Anyway, it was a very cool thing for the two of them to do and it was a fun and memorable evening.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Very much in the Rick Wright mould, more interested in the music than showy displays and all the better for it.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Banned
    Count me in.

Sometimes I think he's better than Wakeman. Sacrilege, I know. Obviously Marillion's stuff, at least during the Fish era, is much more structured. Not a whole lotta time devoted to wanking, but he drives the band like a rhythm section when he has to. No slight on Pete or Ian, and your comment re Incommunicado is spot on.

Loved his playing in the old Fish days. Incommunicado, yeah man - that's the stuff. Whatever it is he does now, along with Marillion, it's not my favorite coloring... but as long as he's happy I'll somehow have to find happiness elsewhere.

he's a master of atmosphere and mood.
    Absolutely! And some of these songs I enjoy more than Wakeman's stuff.

I infinitely prefer Mark Kelly's approach to textured keyboards being right for the song, with the occasional solo part that enhances the music, rather than some legendary prog keyboardists whose style over substance IS the music (yes, heresy, I know).

So, yes, I think Kelly (and Rothery) is at the heart of almost all special Marillion music, whether from the 80s or since. And I'd rather follow what Kelly is up to (including the wonderful DeeExpus, which is more overtly "proggy", if you want to insist on that sort of stupid label), than listen to what Wakeman churns out.

The comment above comparing Kelly/Rothery to the Gilmour/Wright school is spot on.

I'm not so into his soloing but I really like the moods and textures he creates, he's very good at that. 'The King Of Sunset Town' is a great example, that slow intro with those rippling synths. I don't miss the soloing, the aforementioned 'Interior Lulu' actually offers an example of how out of place that sounds with their later approach.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Fans of his playing with Marillion (as I was until I jumped ship after "Brave" and the live "Made Again") should love his playing with DeeExpus. His keys on their wonderful (and possibly overlooked?) "King of Number 33" (working from memory here, did I get it right?) very much reminded me of his playing with Fish-era Marillion and propelled what I thought to be a mediocre neo-prog band (on the basis of their DVD "Far from Home") to unexpected new heights! I bought that album on the basis of reviews only, even after my disappointment with the afore-mentioned DVD, and it's a very strong band and release. I forget and haven't checked whether they made other line-up changes or additions...this may be a different vocalist as well. Anyone else surprised by this release and digging Mr. Kelly's work on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Very much in the Rick Wright mould, more interested in the music than showy displays and all the better for it.
    Why not have both? Those showy displays can be a big part of a song. I don't get how avoiding that makes music better. Not every song requires soloing, but if it fits the song, they should go for it. Why let the guitarist have all the fun and glory?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I'm not so into his soloing but I really like the moods and textures he creates, he's very good at that. 'The King Of Sunset Town' is a great example, that slow intro with those rippling synths. I don't miss the soloing, the aforementioned 'Interior Lulu' actually offers an example of how out of place that sounds with their later approach.
    No, no, no! That solo brings excitement to the piece, especially since it totally comes out of left field. Take it away, and the song loses it's sense of magic and surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
    The comment above comparing Kelly/Rothery to the Gilmour/Wright school is spot on.
    You mean Rothery/Kelly to Gilmour/Wright.
    (Sorry; I was an English major until I went into Law)

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Mark is a first rate human being. Super nice hombre.
    Yes, he is. I met him several times & even had drinks with the band in 1987 on the CAS tour.

As much a technician as a player, Mark Kelley is a superb master of tone, timbre, texture, etc. and his use of samplers is something many prog musicians would do well to follow. He's a modern player, not just one that relies on the dexterity of his fingers.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

A genius. His contributions on the last three albums has been towering.

I agree with all the positive opinions in this thread - wonderful keyboard player with a keen sense of mood, texture and timbre, a huge influence on my own music. Got to have a beer with him before their DC show last year as he is using a software synth I help develop (Camel Audio Alchemy), super nice guy.
    http://robmartino.com
    Solo Chapman Stick

^ agree with everything, too. top player. top sonic architect. top bloke.