Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP Lindsay Cooper (Henry Cow) (1951-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Lindsay Cooper did play on Hergest Ridge. (And they are both Lindsay with an "a." The bass player, who is male, also goes by Lindsay L. Cooper.)
    I think the male player was a member of Talisker as well...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

While this is definitely sad news, there is a measure of relief as apparently she had been suffering for some time. R.I.P., and I definitely mean that. I will surely need to honour her memory by listening to some of her work.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

N.P.:“Robber”-Pierce Arrow

We lose a wonderful musician and original composer, one of the rarest and most honourable kind : someone who sincerely strove, and succeeded, to make a difference. For some people at least. She had been dealt some truly bad cards. Now she shall rest in peace.

I see the age-old Mike Oldfield multiple-Lindsay-Coopers puzzle has been solved once more... Just for the record, Lindsay played a wonderful oboe theme in "Hergest Ridge" as well as the leading melody for the "Mike Oldfield Single" of 1973 which was a completely new recording derived from a section of "Tubular Bells" (and is included on the latest augmented reissue).

Not unexpected but extremely sad. A remarkable player and composer.

As my wife has progressive MS i always wondered how Lindsay was doing. This is a shock and very sad to hear. I will aways treasure her work with Henry Cow, Hatfields, News from Babel, Hillage and many others. Very sad indeed!

Fabulous and at times even visionary musician and composer. And she was indeed a composer, at times with tremendous outcome - News From Babel, side 2 of HC's Western Culture (which she herself apparently regarded as "babysteps"), Rags, Oh Moscow, various film music etc. (Music for Other Occasions). She was also one of very few *actually* scholared musicians in 70s progressive rock.

I'm very, very saddened to hear about this.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Side two of Western Culture...'baby steps' *saws guitar in two*

RIP Lindsay Cooper.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Very sad news. May I also recommend her solo album, A View from the Bridge, released in 1998, a fantastic collection through and through? I've never heard any of her work in the Feminist Improvising Group, which seems to never have had a proper release, although I note a couple of radio shows are on Dime.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Sad news indeed. RIP....I shall queue-up some Henry Cow right now even though it's only 7:55am in my cubicle.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The Lindsay Cooper who played on Tubular Bells was a bassist and cellist.
    And he already passed away in 2001.

RIP Lindsay. Such an immense talent. I am afraid we will see a lot more bad news in the coming years as many of the great musicians from the '70s are approaching a certain age.

Sad news. RIP Lindsay and many thanks for the great music.

RIP

Another musical hero dies. Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    May I also recommend her solo album, A View from the Bridge, released in 1998, a fantastic collection through and through?
    It's on my wishlist, but very hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Very sad news. May I also recommend her solo album, A View from the Bridge, released in 1998, a fantastic collection through and through? I've never heard any of her work in the Feminist Improvising Group, which seems to never have had a proper release, although I note a couple of radio shows are on Dime.

Henry
    I think this album is hard to find. Searched many places and nothing.

Very sad news indeed. My wife and brother both have MS so I see firsthand how debilitating it can be and how it can prevent you from working. It must be agonizing for a musician to be unable to play their instruments.

In a related note, I'm doing an MS charity bike ride this weekend so I will certainly be thinking about Lindsay Cooper while riding. RIP

- Jeff

Just saw Fred Frith in Brooklyn tonight where he did the entire Gravity album. He mentioned her passing and said before he started that the performance was for her.

Bob

This is very sad news. I am at the Rio-festival, which starts this evening. I hope there will be a collective moment to remember her great contribution to the music we all love so much...

Peter

lindsay cooper bassoon.jpg

RIP. Playing Fish Rising in her memory.

(Please click on the picture.)

RIP.

i was so sorry to hear this. our condolences to her family and friends.

she was one of my musical idols. another great one lost.

K
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

She and Berckmans (UZ & VZ) rewrote the bassoon rock playing book.

RIP of course.

Thanks for the music, Lindsay
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

A fantastic musician and composer, I really enjoy her work with Henry Cow and her solo effort "Rags" and "Music For Other Occasions"
    Though it seems that she was not famous in France, there was not even one article about her in the newspaper, nothing. But two days later a french journalist Gilles Verlant died and everyone is talking about this.